mid drives are not for everyone/throttles are fine

These stories make me think a throttle could be like insurance for some people, hope you never need it, but if you do it's there and you are glad you have it.

These stories make me think a throttle could be like insurance for some people, hope you never need it, but if you do it's there and you are glad you have it.
Exactly! Mid drive or hub drive, you have several choices.
1 - Put the hate on the throttle and get a bike without one. Class 1 bikes are legal in more locations.
2 - Get a bike with a throttle and disconnect or remove it. Then reinstall it later if the need arises. Conceivably, this could avoid Class 2 restrictions.
3 - Get a bike with a throttle and, with some self control, use it sparingly so you get a good workout. That way, it's there if & when you need it. Observe Class 2 laws.
4 - Get a bike with a throttle and use it all the time. Ride like an idiot and ignore all e-bike laws & restrictions.
To each his own.

Thankfully, most of the throttled bike riders I see fall into categories 2 & 3.
Unfortunately, all too many of the category 1 riders I see think that all throttled bike riders fall into category 4.

Exactly! Mid drive or hub drive, you have several choices.
1 - Put the hate on the throttle and get a bike without one. Class 1 bikes are legal in more locations.
2 - Get a bike with a throttle and disconnect or remove it. Then reinstall it later if the need arises. Conceivably, this could avoid Class 2 restrictions.
3 - Get a bike with a throttle and, with some self control, use it sparingly so you get a good workout. That way, it's there if & when you need it. Observe Class 2 laws.
4 - Get a bike with a throttle and use it all the time. Ride like an idiot and ignore all e-bike laws & restrictions.
To each his own.

Thankfully, most of the throttled bike riders I see fall into categories 2 & 3.
Unfortunately, all too many of the category 1 riders I see think that all throttled bike riders fall into category 4.
most of the ones I see are 4 or they are going 20mph with a really slow cadence only the people with mid drive bikes do I see them actually propelling the bike. ow I do have fun cranking up the assist on my bosch mid drive bike and passing them uphill its fun and gets my heart rate up a lot.

most of the ones I see are 4 or they are going 20mph with a really slow cadence only the people with mid drive bikes do I see them actually propelling the bike. ow I do have fun cranking up the assist on my bosch mid drive bike and passing them uphill its fun and gets my heart rate up a lot.
Seconded, those are the types of riders I see most too.

They think that because their riding what’s marketed as an electric bicycle but with a throttle all traffic regulations don’t apply to them.

Throttles have their place but in general it’s for very casual riders who use their e-bikes 250 miles or less per year and have a comically slow cadence.

E-bikes with throttles aren’t bicycles, their more akin to low speed electric mopeds which is why their banned in most countries including all the E.U. I believe their only legal in the U.S., China and Switzerland but still banned from being on all bicycle and e-bike trails because their simply not bicycles or e-bikes.

Hub motors are sufficient for the low mileage casual riders. As soon as the pandemic is over most people who bought hub drives will put their low speed electric mopeds with decorative pedals up for sale.

Mid-drive motors w/o throttles are superior in numerous ways such as climbing hills, more reliable, less maintenance, better weight distribution, less wear on drivetrain parts, have an easier wheel removal and tire process, are better for commuting and have a mechanical advantage because the mid-drive works with the drivetrain.

They think that because their riding what’s marketed as an electric bicycle but with a throttle all traffic regulations don’t apply to them.

Throttles have their place but in general it’s for very casual riders who use their e-bikes 250 miles or less per year and have a comically slow cadence.

E-bikes with throttles aren’t bicycles, their more akin to low speed electric mopeds which is why their banned in most countries including all the E.U. I believe their only legal in the U.S., China and Switzerland but still banned from being on all bicycle and e-bike trails because their simply not bicycles or e-bikes.
Considering you live in Europe, I can see your point of view. Since throttles are mostly illegal there, all who use them are "outlaws" and it should be no surprise they ride as such. In the US, where they are legal, most who use them ride responsibly and obey the laws. Note I said most, not all. There are always those idiots who give throttles a bad rap.

Hub motors are sufficient for the low mileage casual riders. As soon as the pandemic is over most people who bought hub drives will put their low speed electric mopeds with decorative pedals up for sale.

Mid-drive motors w/o throttles are superior in numerous ways such as climbing hills, more reliable, less maintenance, better weight distribution, less wear on drivetrain parts, have an easier wheel removal and tire process, are better for commuting and have a mechanical advantage because the mid-drive works with the drivetrain.
Must be nice to have a crystal ball...I guess I better get ready to sell my bike with almost 4K on it- thanks for the guidance

Please explain the benefits of your NO throttle mid drive as they might apply to my mid drive WITH throttle.

While you're at it, explain how your mid drive might have less wear on the drive train as compared to a hub drive?

Please explain the benefits of your NO throttle mid drive as they might apply to my mid drive WITH throttle.

While you're at it, explain how your mid drive might have less wear on the drive train as compared to a hub drive?
well if you don't peddle a hub drive bike much your going to to get a crap load of miles on the drive train (G) so far I get 2500 or 3000 miles on a chain so its not a big deal.

well if you don't peddle a hub drive bike much your going to to get a crap load of miles on the drive train (G) so far I get 2500 or 3000 miles on a chain so its not a big deal.
So you're disagreeing with Acrotiri's comment regarding his mid drive will cause less wear?

Also,hub drives wear out the drive train components since all of them have too much peak watts 750-1500 which drastically reduces component life span. So even when they do rarely pedal it’s too much power for bicycle components. That’s why I call them mopeds.

So you're disagreeing with Acrotiri's comment regarding his mid drive will cause less wear?
will of course a hub drive will nto wear a chain out as fast. thats a givenunless you use little to no assist. but it does not ahve to be that bad as some say either.

Love my hub drive, throttle, sub $1k etc. Really glad I also have interests other than eBikes :)
I also think this is a pretty opinionated but mannered group, relative to other forums.
There is zero downside for getting more older folk outside doing something , on mid-drives, hub, with or without throttles.

It is a waste of time talking to the mid drive fanatics about this

I don’t even bother anymore, who cares what they think

It is a waste of time talking to the mid drive fanatics about this

I don’t even bother anymore, who cares what they think
Ha! Watts Up???? Hehe- I now know that I’m supposed to feel guilty every time my thumb activates that throttle! - linear thinking... it’s a trap I will attempt to avoid! Cheers

Lol I own mid drives and hubs
And the hub people on here do not spend all their time arguing their bikes are better, please point me out some threads where that is the case

you may find some threads with people defending the fact they like their hub drives but not on and on that their bike is the only kind of bike to own

imo they all have their different uses/advantages/disadvantages and I use all of them differently

my first bike was a mid drive with a throttle .it was not bad but it was not nearly as nice feeling as my bosch. but the throttle was not bad it was easy to start in traffic or a steep hill but not a game changer either.me I want my bike to feel like a bike because I ride it like a bike. so any of the non bi brans guys are not a smooth and they use bigger batteries. myself I would have to go with a stormer to like a hub give I bet ands thats way too expensive.

Me too. Same opinion. I don't need to justify myself, or explain to others why I own both types.

I will admit to the fact I'm fascinated by the fact some of these mid drive guys are so insecure regarding them, they have to promote them every chance they get, often using "facts" born in fantasy land.

Fan boys.....
I see the same thing with cheap hub drive bikes. calling a 800 bike a fanatic bike. I see everyone promote what they think is best what brand they think is best.

Back