Mid drive with throttle?

Silverbeemr

Hello Court, my name is John. I've been watching your videos for months now and really enjoy them. And think I'm finally ready to purchase my first ebike. Does anyone make a 28mph full suspension, mid drive with a throttle?

Why do you insist on a throttle ? Get a mid with a Bafang Ultra and you won't need a stinkin' throttle.

Last edited:
Why do you insist on a throttle ? Get a mid with a Bafang Ultra and you won't need a stinkin' throttle.
I'll be using the bike as a commuter to work every day, about 10 miles. I have a few hills on my route, but I'd like a throttle because I have an ankle injury

I'll be using the bike as a commuter to work every day, about 10 miles each way. I have a few hills on my route, and I'd like a throttle for peace of mind, because I have an ankle injury that will swell up and bother me sometimes, it would be nice to know I can rest my ankle and still get to work should that happen.

Several of my ebike friends wish they would have gotten a throttle on their bikes for various reasons so they at least had that option. They stated there have been times they woukd have used it. One had some injuries and said it would have been useful. Don't have to use it if you dont want to I guess.

About $4,000 but prefer to spend less if possible.

You have some good options then:
Luna X-1 (Bafang M600 with 2k watt option, 95Nm of torque, 55 lbs) $3,950
Luna Lone Wolf (Giant Stance 2 converted using the BBSHD) $3,600
Bixtrix Ultra FS (Bafang Ultra 1.5k watts, 160Nm of torque, 75-76 lbs) $3,400 - $4,946
Evelo Aries (Bafang 750 watt, Nuvinci continuous variable internal geared hub, 76 lbs) $3,299
If you're handy and don't mind dealing with Alibaba, Frey has a number of fast mid-drive FS bikes, with the AM1000 at the top of the list at $3,120. There's also the M600 at $2,980.

I'm sure there's more. Note that the throttle requirement eliminates bikes with Bosch, Shimano or Brose drivetrains, as well as Specialized, Trek, etc.

Do you plan to add rear rack for commuting? There are a few FS bikes with rear rack like the Frey CC but rack weight is unsprung. Probably better than no rear suspension though.

As far as motor, I think the M600 might not be optimal if you plan to rely on throttle on hills without pedaling. Ultra or BBSHD would be better. BBSHD does not have torque sensing but you may not care with a gimpy ankle.

Right now I'm having a severe knee problems, so now I've spent a couple thousand dollars on an ebike that I now can't use to get to work? Throttles give you options, especially if you are using it as a commuter.

Tforan we all get it , you don’t like throttles

And I don’t care

this person did not ask your opinion , they ask for some options on a mid drive with a throttle

Maybe you should buy a scooter, old-timer. Just relaying my experience on an Ultra powered bike.

You are pathetic

This person did not ask for your opinion on owning a bike with a throttle , they ask what mid drives were available with throttle

I also own an ultra bike

Amazing how much extra time you have to chime in on EVERY single thread that mentions throttle
Forgot about that button where I can block people, will use that now

You have some good options then:
Luna X-1 (Bafang M600 with 2k watt option, 95Nm of torque, 55 lbs) $3,950
Luna Lone Wolf (Giant Stance 2 converted using the BBSHD) $3,600
Bixtrix Ultra FS (Bafang Ultra 1.5k watts, 160Nm of torque, 75-76 lbs) $3,400 - $4,946
Evelo Aries (Bafang 750 watt, Nuvinci continuous variable internal geared hub, 76 lbs) $3,299
If you're handy and don't mind dealing with Alibaba, Frey has a number of fast mid-drive FS bikes, with the AM1000 at the top of the list at $3,120. There's also the M600 at $2,980.

I'm sure there's more. Note that the throttle requirement eliminates bikes with Bosch, Shimano or Brose drivetrains, as well as Specialized, Trek, etc.
Thank you Smorgasbord, I appreciate your suggestions. I've heard of some, but not all of these, I'll check them out. So is Bafang the only company making mid drives with a throttle?

Do you plan to add rear rack for commuting? There are a few FS bikes with rear rack like the Frey CC but rack weight is unsprung. Probably better than no rear suspension though.

As far as motor, I think the M600 might not be optimal if you plan to rely on throttle on hills without pedaling. Ultra or BBSHD would be better. BBSHD does not have torque sensing but you may not care with a gimpy ankle.
I'm not sure if I need a rear rack, I can just use a backpack, but it may be nice to have just in case. I looked at the Frey CC and AM 1000 and they look great, so far the Frey CC is my favorite option. Not sure about the ordering process from China, or the shipping though. I also heard the Frey seat post is a smaller size than US standard, might make it hard to find a dropper post should I decide to do that. Anyone out there have a Frey bike? How was it to purchase? Any problems?

Back