Math Problem?

Bill G

Region
USA
City
Near Lake George, NY
Am I getting full range on my Enviolo 380?

My Enviolo hub was making a noise. My LBS got rid of the noise, but I’m not sure I’m getting the full range on the hub. My highest (hardest) gear might be a little low. Does it make sense that given that I have 27.5 inch tires, a hub with a 0.5-1.9 ratio range, I should be able to put my bike into the highest and lowest gears, pedal at a fixed rpm (say 75), and by the speed achieved, know that I am getting the full range on my hub?

Do any of you know how to calculate what speed I should achieve at 75 rpm at the 0.5 and 1.9 ratio given a 27.5 wheel diameter? Thanks.

There are many gear/speed calculators online. Not endorsing this one as accurate, but an example. Keep in mind these will be "close" because your tire circumference varies based on tire pressure.

Many thanks. They even listed the Enviolo Trecking hub. Now I'll have to road test it.

There are many gear/speed calculators online. Not endorsing this one as accurate, but an example. Keep in mind these will be "close" because your tire circumference varies based on tire pressure.

Thanks, that helps! I often have problems with projecting. I also often use this service https://plainmath.net/secondary/calculus-and-analysis/calculus-2 to calculate and answer other math questions. It helps to save a lot of time and explains many math terms in simple terms.

Last edited:
How many decimal place accuracy are you looking for!

Your biggest inaccuracy contributor is going to be true tire circumference while riding. It changes based on total weight on the wheel and tire pressure

Let’s see, 27.5 squared times the square root of pi times the integral of e under the curve x and y…….equals 5. The answer is 5.

It is not 27.5". 27.5" is the nominal wheel size. The 27.5" wheel has the rim diameter of 584 mm. Add to it the twice of the tyre width/height and you will get the approximate wheel diameter. If you want to calculate the wheel circumference, it will be 2 * Pi * Wheel Diameter. And it will be inaccurate still because of different outer tyre diameter with different inflation pressure and rider's bike weight.

There are some excellent charts that will satisfy most.

Common Bike Tire Sizes​

Tire SizeUse/ DisciplineISO Designation
700c x 23mm – 32mmRoad/Track622
700c x 35mm – 50mmGravel and Mixed surface622
650b x 23mm – 25mmSmall road bikes584
650b x 45mm – 50mmGravel and Bikepacking584
26” x 2.1” – 2.3”Cross Country MTB559
26” x 2.3” – 2.5”Trail559
26” x 2.4” – 2.6”Enduro/ Downhill559
27.5” x 2.1” – 2.3”Cross Country MTB/ Gravel584
27.5” x 2.3” – 2.5”Trail584
27.5” x 2.4” – 2.6”Enduro and Downhill584
29” x 2.1” – 2.3”Cross Country MTB622
29” x 2.3” – 2.5”Trail622
29” x 2.4” – 2.6”Enduro and Downhill622

5 what? Kidding, I got your point without a problem - in a manner of speaking.....
Yeah, I got it too. My favorite math peeve is when "estimates" consist of very precise numbers. Doesn't estimate mean an approximation--i.e. round numbers? So you see stuff like "An estimated 2,349,807 people will suffer a fatal big toe aneurism in October this year."

(Just kidding, this is not a real statistic. Please don't quote it in a letter to the editor)

Back