Maryland E-bike Laws

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I had couple of friends ask me this question.
Although, this revised law was passed in 2014, most people aren't aware of it.
http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014RS/fnotes/bil_0008/sb0378.pdf

Under this revised law,
Any E-bike with </= 500W motor and with a max speed of 20mph (under motor power alone) is considered a bicycle and can go anywhere a normal bicycle can go. No mention of class 1 or 2 or 3.

I doubt any other state mentions these classes, beyond California. It will be the law in Cal come January, and they will have the 'stickers' for the bikes a year later.

Apparently ebike insiders think Cal will drive this standard nationwide. If people, especially young people, buy these 28 mph bikes it could transform the industry. There is nothing unreasonable about the Cal standards. On the other hand... Bafang has the basically 1500 watt HD mid-drive. Luna Cycle apparently has 'hundreds' on order (Karl G). There are more threads on EBR about upping the speed of an ebike than anything else.

Irresistible forces, immovable objects. I thought standards like what Maryland and Utah have could be made to work. It doesn't seem that this is going to happen. I understand that the folks behind the Cal standards want to bring a version to Utah and a half dozen other states, next year. Beats me what happens. I like the 20 mph standard, but people are not respecting it.

You figure they need a national standard, or as close as possible.

George, will you please write more about these stickers?

Is the ebike rider required to get one?

Where is it supposed to go?

Thanks

This is what the original bill said:

(c) On and after January 1, 2017, manufacturers and distributors of electric bicycles shall apply a label that is permanently affixed, in a prominent location, to each electric bicycle. The label shall contain the classification number, top assisted speed, and motor wattage of the electric bicycle, and shall be printed in Arial font in at least 9-point type.

I don't know what the people who sell kits (into California, or from a business in California) do.

It's one of those 'Volkswagen' things if you just play fast and loose with the numbers. Someone in the bureaucracy will have to say exactly what this means. But the manufacturer or distributor has to do it.

Back