Mag Wheels

Funpilot

Region
USA
Anyone do or hear about adding mag wheels to the Omega? Do you think Evelo would do that on the Omega if asked?

why would you want them? they make the ride harsher and are not going to last as long as a well built set of spoked wheels. plus they weigh more.

I thought that they were more durable from the reviews I read. Thanks for the feedback.
well they may be more durrable then otehr really poorly built wheels that's why you see them on low end bikes. but they are a harsh ride as there is no flex and your stuck with whatever hub they are made with.

Motorcycle /= bicycle. 400 lbs and 65 mph, with potholes thrown in. Different use and needs.

And the hub thing is a big deal. I've had some dealings with Nextie over their tri spoke wheels and would have never considered them before they went to DT 350 hubs. But even so, if that hub ever fails its not a $250 problem fixable by my LBS, its a $600 factory replacement problem, assuming I can get another matching wheel at all years later.

Mag wheels on motorcycles are an easy way to allow tubeless tires. They are maintenance free but not recommended for off-road/adventure motorcycles.

The mag vs spoke issue is complicated and depends on many factors.

I chose the mag wheel option on my Pedego Platinum Interceptor mainly for the extra weight capacity. I'm no lightweight and I always carry a lot of gear which puts me well over the weight limit of most spoked wheels.

Due to weight issues, I've had spoke problems on many of my old bikes including my Treks with quality built wheels. The mags do make for a slightly harsher ride but it's easily handled with tire pressure adjustments, suspension forks and a good suspension seatpost. The tradeoff is worth it to me to not have to deal with spoke issues.

My wife has the same bike with spokes. I weighed the wheels with identical tubes & tires and surprisingly, the mags weigh 4oz less.

I considered the hub issue but if I do have a failure and can't get replacement parts, it's an excuse to get a new bike.

These are just my thoughts and to each his own. Like so many other bike options, you pick the ones that work best for you. One size does not fit all.

if your buying stock wheels then weight may be a issue but if you get well built wheels your fine. our tandem had decent wheels and we ride at 400 pounds.

Had mag wheels on my first ebike (Oct 2016) and they were pretty cool. Wanted to avoid the rusting spokes I was getting on my regular bike when riding the beaches. I'd definitely consider them again, but you don't see them much. As mentioned above, the rear hub would need to be a custom item.
2016-10-02_104243.jpg

Last edited:
Back