made in usa?

wondering if any bikes are actually 'made in USA or even 'made in China?' Component parts are sourced from all over right? Are Shimano parts made in Japan? in any case i am interested in buying a bike that is at least designed here in the states. anyone with opinion or advice?

ProdecoTech is a US company. They build their bikes in Florida in a real factory. They've even used US made frames on a few models, but I don't think that's true of any current models. I think they do more in the US than any other ebike company. Next is probably Pedego. Trek and Specialized are both US companies. It's likely their bikes are "designed" here.

Optibikes are made in Colorado. That is, the frames are made in the USA and the bike is assembled there. The components come from all over, Shimano Brakes from Japan, Rohloff 14 speed hub from Germany, etc.

I don't think it is possible for find a bike that is all made and assembled in one country.

The Grin Tech all-axle ebike motor is made in Vancouver where Grin also assemble their modular LiGo battery pack using LG MG1 cells but I'm unsure if the cells are manufactured in LG Chem's Holland, MI, plant, or from where they source the BMS. Grin designed or modified Infineon controllers, the Cycle Analyst computer, and Cycle Satiator battery charger, and those are made in Asian factories. The eVox Dyname motor was developed in Quebec by Procycle, eVox ebikes are assembled in Quebec but I'm unsure if the motors and frames are themselves made in Canada and the Dyname motor isn't available as a kit. Prodecotech have a final assembly line in Florida but use imported frames, components, and motor/battery parts. As J.R. mentioned above companies like Pedego and Trek do in-house design in the US but the bikes and components are imported. Endless Sphere has a list of failed EV companies including several North American ebike component manufacturers to which can now be added the Canadian arm of Bionx. Here is a recent but incomplete list of world electric motor and battery manufacturers. In addition to those on the list Astroflight manufacture brushless electric motors for remote control vehicle and aerial drone applications in Irvine, CA, a small number of DIY enthusiasts have used reduction gearboxes with these fast spinning motors on ebikes. Electric Motorcycle motors and battery packs are manufactured in the USA by Zero, Alta, Lightning, and Harley are partnering with Alta to launch an electric motorcycle line, but none are building ebikes. I'm unsure what other US or Canadian made battery cells, BMS boards, controllers, displays, wiring harnesses, bicycle components etc. are available, other than a few ebike specific parts made in small machine shops like Luna. There are several US steel frame builders and you could DIY assemble a somewhat made in North America ebike albeit many of the components will be imported.

Last edited:
Only the higher-end components. Everything else is made in China, Malaysia, and Singapore.
this is helpful: as my wife is Japanese i find myself wanting to support assembled in Japan stuff as much as i like to support made in The states or Canada (or Mexico) kinds of things. THANKS

Felt's another American born and based company, but if you look at the sum of the parts, their bikes, like most other company's products, are really international conglomerations.
Ponder the prices now, if every component on an e-bike was USA made, realize how much more the prices would escalate.

this is helpful: as my wife is Japanese i find myself wanting to support assembled in Japan stuff as much as i like to support made in The states or Canada (or Mexico) kinds of things. THANKS

Have you imported a Japanese bicycle or components? If so, have you found sellers on Rakuten willing to ship to the US? I know one Kyoto shop owner who has exported Bridgestone/Bikke brand mama-chari's.

Have you imported a Japanese bicycle or components? If so, have you found sellers on Rakuten willing to ship to the US? I know one Kyoto shop owner who has exported Bridgestone/Bikke brand mama-chari's.
no i never tried that: i go there every year and should check it out. Kei Trucks are starting to show up in portland now, i think average joe's are importing stuff from japan

no i never tried that: i go there every year and should check it out. Kei Trucks are starting to show up in portland now, i think average joe's are importing stuff from japan

I have a friend who works in Tokyo and bought a house in Shimoda, they have a Kei camper and love touring. Recently I looked into importing a bike from the Netherlands and was told the seller doesn’t charge their VAT but you pay a 15% import duty to US customs.

I live in Arlington, VA and last weekend I saw a Japanese Mom and her 5 year old son riding a Bikke M which isn’t electric but had the words “pedal assist” on the side, I see Bikke sell them in matching colors to pair with their mamachari’s

Anyone heard more about the relaunch of the Univega brand by Kent International Inc. Pete from Electric Bike Report wrote up an article in January, and last year BRAIN reported final assembly would be at BCA's Manning, SC, facility? Panasonic had a press release in January talking about an upcoming touring/commuter model the Univega UVG-1 using Pansonic X0 mid-drive motor and battery. The Univega-USA brand website currently just shows these two 250w hub motor ebikes with 6.8ah downtube battery in 4 frame sizes weighing 34lb for $1,500.

Last edited:
You can get most of the ebike made in north america (frameset, drivetrain, wheels) but sourcing things like cables, connectors, chains, tires, and tubes will not be easy.

wondering if any bikes are actually 'made in USA or even 'made in China?' Component parts are sourced from all over right? Are Shimano parts made in Japan? in any case i am interested in buying a bike that is at least designed here in the states. anyone with opinion or advice?
There are no bikes made in USA. Not much of anything is made in USA these days, 70% of GNP are services, not manufacturing.

"Even made in China"? Thousands ebikes are made in China every year (if not millions). Some are sold through online retailers, Walmart and local US bike shops. Many more are available China-direct through Amazon, Aliexpress and other sources, for those with high risk tolerance.

No, parts are not really sourced from all over - mostly they are from China. Grin is one of very few US ebike parts manufacturers, but their parts are not used in US-designed ebikes, they aim at DIY market. Only occasionally you'll see small Grin parts like torque arm, on commecrial bikes.

Plenty of ebikes "designed" in the states, and quite a few from Canada as well. Better specify your needs, - what kind of bike, terrain, price range, are you comfortable with factory-direct purchase and can DIY minor fixes, or need a nearby dealer to do everything.

Since you didn’t mention a budget, check the supplier list from NAHBS. A national convention of handmade bicycles. https://www.nahbs.com/registered-exhibitors
I haven’t checked this list. https://usamadeproducts.biz/vehicles-bicycles-electric-bicycles.html

Last edited:
You can get most of the ebike made in north america (frameset, drivetrain, wheels) but sourcing things like cables, connectors, chains, tires, and tubes will not be easy.

Agreed, BCA's headbadge says "Assembled in USA with domestic and imported parts", BRAIN did a story in 2015 on the US Customs ruling that led to this label, I'm not sure it was passed with a view to what happened in October last year when Kent and Detroit Bikes used the designation to launch then withdraw a Section 201 petition to the ITC to request the Administration impose a 50% tariff on other brands assembled outside the US.

But I just bought a Greenfield Stabilizer kickstand made in Freeport, NY

Last edited:
"Made in USA" means different things for ITC and the US government. ITC requirement for such a label is that product should be entirely or virtually entirely made in the United States. I doubt there are any ebikes that meet this requirement.

"Assembled in USA" is a more complicated definition, it requires the item to be "substantially transformed" by the manufacturing process. When ebike is put together via simple screwdriver assembly, for ITC it is not "assembled in USA." Again, I doubt that most ebikes by "US companies" would pass the test upon close scrutiny. The company might try and use misleading language in their marketing materials, to make you part with your money, - you are not ITC or customs.

"Designed in USA" is not something that ITC or customs are interested in, but it makes sense for consumer who trusts domestic engineers more than those in China. Only I doubt that USA companies are overly honest with this. Look at all those "kit bikes" (don't want to name any one in particular) - you can't be sure that they didn't pick up one of hundreds frame types already existing in China, and then - after consulting Chinese engineers - procured parts made in China. In the end, the company logo and choice of colors could be the only thing added to "design", from the US side.

If you're concerned with quality, - look into company reputation and gather maximum intel on how they do what they do.

Last edited:
Those are nice videos. Not detailed much, just a marketing material. More information is available on their website. It appears that they indeed do some design work on their bikes and assemble it in the USA. Hard to tell, on a brief glance, how much design they do. Assembled in the USA from "global parts" - more often than not it means "Chinese", in today's economy. With high-end parts there is a chance that some of them are not made in China or Malaysia. I guess this is as close as you can get to USA-anything.
Charles, - relax, there are no USA-made ebikes. Focus on the level of parts quality - there is $30 Shimano derallieur and $200 - and the support that the company provides.

Last edited:
Back