Luna Z1 - First impressions

Well, 2 1/2 years after starting this thread my main complaint with the Z1 is the junk SRAM Eagle SX groupset they put on this bike. I've cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the derailleur and cable multiple times and had it working well - for a while. But it always seems to degrade after a ride or 2 to delayed up and down shifts, and occasionally jumping in and out of gear. Cassette still looks good and X01 chain is near new. I see the "SRAM XX1 Eagle Rear Derailleur B-Bolt and Limit Screw Kits" advertised but I'm not sure that's a solution. Has anyone made the move to the GX derailleur/shifter or perhaps Shimano?

I didn't even make it 2 1/2 weeks with the stock groupset before I had similar issues. I tried a few different things but finally came to the conclusion that the sticky shifting was because of the cable hanging up in the long cable housing. I bought an Archer Components system that got rid of it and have never looked back. I did end up with a Shimano Linkglide derailleur/cassette and chain and it all works well now.

Well, 2 1/2 years after starting this thread my main complaint with the Z1 is the junk SRAM Eagle SX groupset they put on this bike. I've cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the derailleur and cable multiple times and had it working well - for a while. But it always seems to degrade after a ride or 2 to delayed up and down shifts, and occasionally jumping in and out of gear. Cassette still looks good and X01 chain is near new. I see the "SRAM XX1 Eagle Rear Derailleur B-Bolt and Limit Screw Kits" advertised but I'm not sure that's a solution. Has anyone made the move to the GX derailleur/shifter or perhaps Shimano?
I had issues too with adjustments. Very finicky. I had minor damage too many times on rocks, roots, etc. Then it was too finicky to adjust after tiny mishaps. I finally ditched the whole dearailleur thing and installed the Rohloff 14 Speed IGH. Man it is heaven on an eMTB! I would never go back to a derailleur. Essentially zero maintenance. I installed it a year ago. No adjustments, a clean chain, shifts perfectly every time. I mean every time. I can move from any gear to any gear near instantaneously, even from a standstill with no lag time in shifting. The few people that have tried my bike said they feel like they are one wth the transmission, that it becomes a part of them. It's true, hard to explain. It is an expensive hub, but considering it will outlive all of the other components on my bike, including the motor and the frame, It is a worthwile invenstment. I'll move it to my next bike, and the next bike after that...

I didn't even make it 2 1/2 weeks with the stock groupset before I had similar issues. I tried a few different things but finally came to the conclusion that the sticky shifting was because of the cable hanging up in the long cable housing. I bought an Archer Components system that got rid of it and have never looked back. I did end up with a Shimano Linkglide derailleur/cassette and chain and it all works well now.

Dear Valued Customers​

It is with mixed emotions that we announce Archer Components will be closing its doors. After years of dedicated service and innovation in the cycling community, we have made the difficult decision to cease operations.

My Frey Beast has the NX cassette, with GX everything else. i dialled it in from new and haven’t had to make any further adjustments since. Can’t fault the shifts and it works very well on my bike.

Dear Valued Customers​

It is with mixed emotions that we announce Archer Components will be closing its doors. After years of dedicated service and innovation in the cycling community, we have made the difficult decision to cease operations.
Hadn't heard that. I don't see there is much that can go wrong with the one I have but I guess if it does I'll reach out to Devin and see what he can do? Too bad because it does work at a reasonable price with any cassette and derailleur. Oh well such is the state of the industry I guess.

And the response from Luna:

You can replace the drive train to something like a 10 speed or even 8 or 9 speed drive train. Those will be a lot more stable when shifting. 12 speed drive trains are like that it'll never be perfect.

Lunacycle Customer Support

Back