Luna Z1 - First impressions

Hey, I just found a new batch of four leavers. My friend picked a seven. Which means some odd mythological thing. Here is a sixer, fiver, and a couple of the fours. Again, the luck part is only the eye and cognitive state that can spot opportunity and not what a person steps on. Maybe I will open a thread on luck theory.
Getting support takes good luck or another $500.

Getting support takes good luck or another $500.
Interesting. My friend says that I am giving too much local support for free and that attorneys don't do that. I have value. My time and information are worth more than my stuff. I just started the thread on LUCK.

My Z1 arrived two weeks ago. I've put several hundred miles on it since then. I love it! A quality build with no initial issues. Coming off a Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose Fat Bike (below).
I've made the following additions/modifications.
  • Velo Memory Foam Seat
  • DIY seat post mounted rear flasher
  • SQLabs grips
  • Miranda 150mm cranks. (The stock 175's were striking everything)
  • SKS MudRocker Front n' Rear Fenders
  • 2 RockBros Frame Bags
  • Tannus Armor Tire Inserts
I'm toying with the Frey Smooth Tuning for the Bafang Ultra today.

Z1.JPG

My Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose Fat Bike.
Proved to be a very reliable build. The 860C Display went bad twice for no apparent reason

Big Blue.JPG

Last edited:
My Z1 arrived two weeks ago. I've put several hundred miles on it since then. I love it! A quality build with no initial issues. Coming off a Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose Fat Bike.
I've made the following additions/modifications.
  • Velo Memory Foam Seat
  • DIY seat post mounted rear flasher
  • SQLabs grips
  • Miranda 150mm cranks. (The stock 175's were striking everything)
  • SKS Front n' Rear Fenders
  • RockBros Frame Bags
  • Tannus Armor Tire Inserts
I'm toying with the Frey Smooth Tuning for the Bafang Ultra today.

My Previous ride: Luna BBSHD DIY Mongoose
Just curious, how does the power and acceleration compare between these? Pretty similar?

I am also considering a Z1 down the road one day.

Just curious, how does the power and acceleration compare between these? Pretty similar?

I am also considering a Z1 down the road one day.
If you are talking about the BBSHD vs the Bafang Ultra Mag, they are a pretty close comparison in power and acceleration, both rated at 160N.m of torque, both can handle 2000+ watts of power. The main difference being the torque sensing on the Ultra is a much nicer feel than the pure cadence sensing n the BBSHD.

Last edited:
Tried out the Frey "Smooth Tuning". Seems much smoother than the stock tune. Nicer ride.

What I am curious about is if you ran up against the LVC and at what voltage it cut out at? I am confident that I could also get more mileage out of my Z1 using lower assist levels and going slower to get more range but the part that is bugging me is the cut out I am getting at 46V. This is leaving too many wh's on the table and what I am interested in recouping.

On the upgrade front I recently put a Christini adapter and 36t N/W chainring on my Z1 and although it does cut down on top end speed on level ground it is still plenty fast enough. What it does though is keep the chain in the middle of the cassette more when on trails and climbing. On stupid steep stuff like we have here in spots I can now climb in mode 2 comfortably using the larger rear cogs where as before I would go to mode 3. Probably slightly slower but I am in no rush, I just want my pedal feel to be consistent. The ability to do so using a lower level of assist should net more range also.
Can you post the part number or site for the Christini adapter? A picture of the adapter would be great. Thanks

Have you tried Google? First place I would look.
Yes did that and I did that and ordered and received the part. My concern is the chain line is way different and I want to be sure I have the correct part. The adapter I have moves the chain about an inch. Is that correct?

I've put 1,000 very hard miles on my Z1 since taking delivery end of June. Zero problems. I really love this bike. Fast, light, nimble, absorbs all of the terrain like butter. Not a single problem or defect so far. More fun than I have ever had!

Last edited:
My main gripe with the Apollo is it was too powerful!
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Luna doesn't do much on tuning the Ultra parameters, they appear to mostly just have a controller board with components that can handle more power.

For instance, Luna ships the Apollos with PAS level 1 set to 30: which is crazy high! For comparison, my current tune (we have two Apollos, bought in 2019 and early 2020) has PAS level 5 set to 27 - and I only use Level 5 for uphills, heavy wind, or just wanting to go fast on level pavement (and I usually go higher than that when I really want to fly). Luna also leaves the Delta Voltage table at stock defaults, which means you don't get a progressive low-pedal pressure feel for starting up from stand-still or from coasting.

My understanding is that the Luna's only have a six-month warranty. I was looking at one yesterday with a blown drive train. It was non-operational and about 7-months old. They asked for the motor to be sent in but the real issue was a faulty display.

My understanding is that the Luna's only have a six-month warranty. I was looking at one yesterday with a blown drive train. It was non-operational and about 7-months old. They asked for the motor to be sent in but the real issue was a faulty display.
According to the website:
  • 2 years on the carbon frame
  • 1 year on the battery
  • 6 months on the motor and other components
I know with my Apollo, the warranty period was short but you could buy it up. And, it wasn't cheap to buy it up, which I think at least partially reflects the cost of supporting retail sales of a relatively complicated machine. While Luna is playing a game with regards to pricing and support at least they're up front about it, and I've gotten good support from them both within and out of warranty (only difference was who paid).

I was "lucky" in my debugging that I have two almost identical bikes. Since most people don't I would suggest buying a second display just to help isolate where problems are occurring. You can find UART Bafang-compatible displays for under $40.

I have found a Z1 locally in a size medium for a good price used.

Im 6ft with a 32inch inseam.

I know typical sizing based on seat tube is kind of old school. That being said, a typical 19" bike works for me with more old school geometry. Bike framesets which are different from this usually dont work for me (i,e. 18 is too small, 20 is too big)

That being said, almost all of my bikes(>6) have an effective Top Tube of 23.5" to 24" (not a perfect measurement, lots of potential flaws but consistent on all my bikes)

Any ideas on if a medium would work for me?

My understanding is that the Z1 is based off the dengfu e22 frameset. Luna geometry specs are kindof loosely defined and dont follow the industry standards. I do have e22 geometry specs.

Today is the one year, two week anniversary for my Luna Z1.
I love it. The only problem I've had is the display odometer went bad three weeks ago (shows 2M+ miles). Though it was out of warranty Luna offered to do the right thing.
Two months ago I added a Rohloff Speed Hub. (see thread in this sub). It's very nice.

I have found a Z1 locally in a size medium for a good price used.

Im 6ft with a 32inch inseam.

I know typical sizing based on seat tube is kind of old school. That being said, a typical 19" bike works for me with more old school geometry. Bike framesets which are different from this usually dont work for me (i,e. 18 is too small, 20 is too big)

That being said, almost all of my bikes(>6) have an effective Top Tube of 23.5" to 24" (not a perfect measurement, lots of potential flaws but consistent on all my bikes)

Any ideas on if a medium would work for me?

My understanding is that the Z1 is based off the dengfu e22 frameset. Luna geometry specs are kindof loosely defined and dont follow the industry standards. I do have e22 geometry specs.
You'd have to check gets on the Z1/E22 vs the X2/E10, but at 6' and 32"inseam, the medium X2 is fine for me, although I replaced the dropper post with a quality and longer one immediately. I probably could have easily done the large, but it's not much of an issue in practice. I will eventually play around a bit with bar rise and angle, but in general it's fine including for multi-hour rides.

Back