Luna Basic 48v Charger

youth

Finally decided to get a 2nd charger so I don't have to lug the original CC one back and forth like I've been doing for two years.

Didn't want to spend for the Juice one so went with Luna. Here's what I got for $40 shipped.

It feels cheap but seems to work. The body is shorter and so are the wires. The plug doesn't detach and it has a fan. It also weighs near half at around 280g vs 520g for the oem charger. I wonder what accounts for the weight difference? Maybe more robust components/heatsinks due to fanless design?

20180514_212609.jpg

UL.jpeg

Hi Youth, the OEM charger has the circuitry designed for safe operation ( UL certification on sticker circle). The other one has not and technically should not be offered in the US.

Thanks for reaching out

Finally decided to get a 2nd charger so I don't have to lug the original CC one back and forth like I've been doing for two years.

Didn't want to spend for the Juice one so went with Luna. Here's what I got for $40 shipped.

It feels cheap but seems to work. The body is shorter and so are the wires. The plug doesn't detach and it has a fan. It also weighs near half at around 280g vs 520g for the oem charger. I wonder what accounts for the weight difference? Maybe more robust components/heatsinks due to fanless design?

View attachment 21924
I ordered a second charger as well, but opted for the Luna 48V advanced charger rather than another basic charger. I'd love a Satiator, but if the Luna works (I'll report once the RCS actually shows up), for a hundred bucks it includes the ability to charge at 1,2,3,4,or 5 amps, and allows to charge to 80%, 90%, or 100% of the battery's capacity. I know people have had issues with the Luna's reliability, but this one seems like it's put together well and my multimeter confirms what the voltage display on the charger says, so at least it didn't arrive DOA. I bought a 4 pin XLR from Amazon and put it on one end of a length of old extension cord with the supplied female XT60 connector supplied with the Luna charger. If this one fails I'll probably replace it with a Satiator, but I'm hoping I don't have any problems. For only $20 more than a second OEM Juiced charger it seems like a pretty good deal.

Luna chargers are not known for their reliability.

I've not had good luck with Luna chargers. Three of them and all had issues, two failing. The third was shipped as a 48V charger, but it was actually a 52V charger. Such a screw up, and I didn't catch it for over a year. The label said 48V with an output of 58.8V, which I later verified.

Back