Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

While the notion of a new bike every year is enticing, I hope Specialized comes up with a way of preventing this in the future. In my case, I think every 500 miles or so, I’ll ask my LBS to make sure the mounting screws are tight. My guess is that it’s one coming loose and the motor torquing the frame where it mounts that is the cause of this.

Fascinating! I have just received a call from my bike shop 30 mins ago to say the frame on my 2018 Turbo Vado 4.0 has cracked! I am absolutely devastated by this and have had other build quality issues with the bike. The quality of it has been awful. I seriously doubt Specialized here in the UK will replace the entire bike, they have had a don’t care attitude the whole way through this experience. Like you, it was creaky noises from the crank area that alerted me to it. Just waiting to hear what they are planning to do now.....

Fascinating! I have just received a call from my bike shop 30 mins ago to say the frame on my 2018 Turbo Vado 4.0 has cracked! I am absolutely devastated by this and have had other build quality issues with the bike. The quality of it has been awful. I seriously doubt Specialized here in the UK will replace the entire bike, they have had a don’t care attitude the whole way through this experience. Like you, it was creaky noises from the crank area that alerted me to it. Just waiting to hear what they are planning to do now.....
I hope it all works out for you. If you bought it new, you get a lifetime warranty on the frame. Then they'd have to pay your LBD to build it back into a bike from there which, my guess is, becomes more expensive than a complete replacement. Please keep us posted.

Wow, so this makes 4, across a range of bikes. Mine was sent back to Specialized and I am in negotiations through my LBS to resolve the issue. Unlike you, in the UK, so far my LBS and Specialized Canada have been excellent, based on the few other minor issues I had with my Vado 2.0. Hopeful I will have a successful resolution, but waiting to see... Good luck with yours!

Thanks everyone. I am absolutely fascinated to know what’s going to happen. But the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to move everything from an eBike over to a new frame. Would take forever. Will have a few sleepless nights now until the phone rings again.

This is really starting to sound like a frame design defect... it would be interesting to see if there are many other reported cases.

Last edited:
Wow, I've been off the forum for about a month so I was pretty surprised this was still the topic at the top! Hopefully it doesn't affect too many more.

I put a marker on the bolts and frame when I got my replacement so I could see if the bolts have moved at all over time. I've been checking it once a week for the past month and so far so good!

Glad to hear you are getting a bike with the same specs, AND the bonus of fenders! And as I said, the TCD-W system really opens things up.

I was curious about the TCD-W and the Mission Control app but have not been able to get it to connect. The app just doesn't see the bike :confused:

I am on my third bike now due to cracked frames. I originally bought the low entry Turbo Como 2.0, and after 650 kms, experienced the exact problems described (creaking noises and loose motor). Specialized gave me a brand new Como 2.0. After 1500 kms on the new bike, same problem. I then decided to upgrade to Como 3.0 with diamond frame thinking that the low entry frame may be flexing too much with my weight (let's just say I am not an elite athlete :). I paid the difference to get a Como 3.0. I now have approximately 2000 kms on the Como 3.0 and so far no problems with the frame. However, I have been breaking rear spokes (3rd one now) as described in another thread. I took my rear wheel to LBS and they told my my rim is cracked and needs replacing, which is apparently not covered by warranty. Decided to order an entirely new 3rd party rear wheel rather than pay labor to re-spoke a new rim. Hopefully, this will be the end of problems with the Como bike.

I am on my third bike now due to cracked frames. I originally bought the low entry Turbo Como 2.0, and after 650 kms, experienced the exact problems described (creaking noises and loose motor). Specialized gave me a brand new Como 2.0. After 1500 kms on the new bike, same problem. I then decided to upgrade to Como 3.0 with diamond frame thinking that the low entry frame may be flexing too much with my weight (let's just say I am not an elite athlete :). I paid the difference to get a Como 3.0. I now have approximately 2000 kms on the Como 3.0 and so far no problems with the frame. However, I have been breaking rear spokes (3rd one now) as described in another thread. I took my rear wheel to LBS and they told my my rim is cracked and needs replacing, which is apparently not covered by warranty. Decided to order an entirely new 3rd party rear wheel rather than pay labor to re-spoke a new rim. Hopefully, this will be the end of problems with the Como bike.
That's a distressing history. My 2019 Vado 2.0 cracked at 1600 kilometres. Probably going to pay some difference to get the 2020 Vado 4.0, since the 3.0 has a less powerful motor and I live in a very hilly area. You are shaking my remaining confidence in the design.

What years are these bikes (Como 3.0 in particular)?

Last edited:
What years are these bikes (Como 3.0 in particular)?
As far as I know, all were / are 2017 models. I bought the Como 2.0 in late December 2017, had it replaced with new Como 2.0 Spring 2018, and had that one replaced with Como 3.0 early this year. I thought I was getting a newer model Como 3.0, but on inspection, I see the serial number sticker says 2017.

Also, just to be accurate about the warranty replacements, when I upgraded to Como 3.0, they took wheels and most components from my Como 2.0 and put them on the Como 3.0 (including the motor). So, second time around, I did not get a brand new bike, but rather a brand new frame.

So, you paid more to get a Como 3.0 frame, but all the components on it are 2.0. Aren’t the frames the same?

So, you paid more to get a Como 3.0 frame, but all the components on it are 2.0. Aren’t the frames the same?
Very perceptive. Yes, I too was not too happy when I went to pick up my bike and saw the old components mounted on the new bike. In addition to the frame, I did get the front and rear lights, shimano brakes (although old rotors), and somewhat larger (500 Wh) battery. I did not get new 11 speed derailleur, or any other new components. So I made a deal to pay incremental difference to get a 604 Wh battery, and I kept the original 460 Wh battery from my Como 2.0. The 604 Wh battery has much better range with the Como 3.O.

Well guys, got the call this afternoon. Brand new 2020 Vado 4 on its way to replace my cracked 2018 Vado 4. Credit where it's due to Specialized. Will be interesting to see if any of the same problems resurface on the new one or if Specialized have been tweaking the quality this last 2 years. Apart from the change in colour, nothing to differentiate the 2 models worth noting that they've done in the last 2 years. Can't wait to get it! Attached a pic of the colour I chose.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 517
Well guys, got the call this afternoon. Brand new 2020 Vado 4 on its way to replace my cracked 2018 Vado 4. Credit where it's due to Specialized. Will be interesting to see if any of the same problems resurface on the new one or if Specialized have been tweaking the quality this last 2 years. Apart from the change in colour, nothing to differentiate the 2 models worth noting that they've done in the last 2 years. Can't wait to get it! Attached a pic of the colour I chose.

Congratulations. I hope they've solved the problem for 2020 bikes. That's the same color I chose for my Como 3.0. So far, so good. 400 miles on the new one so far.

That's great! And the right thing for them to do. Stand up company, it seems. I'm still waiting to hear how they will resolve my 2019 Vado 2.0.

So I've been offered a 2020 Vado 3.0 at no cost as a replacement for my 2019 2.0, which is nice, or I can choose a 4.0 and pay the difference ($1000 Canadian, plus $140 tax). The 4.0 seems to have better gears, brakes, lights, and, most significantly motor. My main concern is that the 3.0 is less powerful than my broken 2.0, and, living in such a hilly area, I fear I will miss that power. Torn. I put 1600 kilometres on my 2.0 in the 5 months I owned it, so I do use it a fair amount. Any thoughts on if I should upgrade or not? Anyone with a 3.0, I'd like to hear on you find it on steep (10-14 degree) hills.

So, if this is the 2020 4.0: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-4-0/p/170303?color=273963-170303

and this is the 2020 3.0: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-3-0/p/170305?color=274059-170305

The motor is the same, just tuned for efficiency on the 3.0 (1.2E). The battery is a 460WH on the 3 and a 500WH on the 4.

From a power perspective, you may get a slightly longer riding time on the 4. Peak power on the motors, though, will be the same. While I've ridden neither, I've had both motors - the regular 1.2 on my first Como 2.0 and I have the 1.2E on my Como 3.0. As far as capabilities, they are the same. It's not apples and oranges, though, because my 3.0 has a 48 tooth front chain sprocket, whereas my 2.0 had a 40 tooth, so the feel is different. As far as top speed, I hit the max speed - 19.5 mph - well before I get to the ninth gear in the back.

Both the 3.0 and 4.0 seem to have the same bells and whistles. So, if the derailleur, brakes, cluster, and anything else is better on the 4.0, I THINK that's what you'd be paying the extra $1K for. If it were me, I'd stay with the 3.0 even up.

So, if this is the 2020 4.0: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-4-0/p/170303?color=273963-170303

and this is the 2020 3.0: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-3-0/p/170305?color=274059-170305

The motor is the same, just tuned for efficiency on the 3.0 (1.2E). The battery is a 460WH on the 3 and a 500WH on the 4.

From a power perspective, you may get a slightly longer riding time on the 4. Peak power on the motors, though, will be the same. While I've ridden neither, I've had both motors - the regular 1.2 on my first Como 2.0 and I have the 1.2E on my Como 3.0. As far as capabilities, they are the same. It's not apples and oranges, though, because my 3.0 has a 48 tooth front chain sprocket, whereas my 2.0 had a 40 tooth, so the feel is different. As far as top speed, I hit the max speed - 19.5 mph - well before I get to the ninth gear in the back.

Both the 3.0 and 4.0 seem to have the same bells and whistles. So, if the derailleur, brakes, cluster, and anything else is better on the 4.0, I THINK that's what you'd be paying the extra $1K for. If it were me, I'd stay with the 3.0 even up.
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I’d definitely go with the 3.0 no question about it, except the motors are not the same— it is less powerful:
50 Nm of torque, 420 peak watts, vs. 72 Nm of torque 520 peak watts. I fear I will miss that power on our hills. But maybe that difference is not really noticeable?

Back