Loose Motor on Como 2.0 UPDATE: Cracked Frame (Vados too)

Uburoibob

I've been experiencing some noisy creaks from my crank area for the past couple of months. It's been varied in terms of the noises. At one point, I went to my LBD and had him ride it. He said it needed new bottom bracket bearings but it wasn't a big deal. So, I figured, I'll keep riding until the weather turns a bit not-so-nice and have it done.

Today's ride, more noises, etc. But also first time I noticed a different feel. When I got home from the ride, I was checking the tightness of the cranks when I noticed the entire assembly for the motor was loose. I took off the housing on the bottom and sure enough, the entire thing has about 1/4" of play side to side. When I ride, I can see the sprocket oscillating. I also noticed a loose screw. I started to tighten it, and realized it's stripped. I don't THINK it's a main bolt - too small for that. If you look at the motor from the front wheel's POV with the cover off, it was the top right screw.

That's where I stopped, put the housing back on and rode it to the LBD and showed him the problem. It's in his hands now. Hopefully, it's an easy fix and I'll be back in business before long.

I've searched the web, but don't see anyone else reporting this.

Heard from the dealer. Turns out - the frame on my Como 2.0 is cracked, which was causing the motor to move. I don't really ride hard - just the paved trails through the forest preserves of the Chicago's western suburbs. So, he's shooting for a new replacement bike for me - trying to get one with the TCD-W display already installed. So, I don't know whether I'll be getting a 2.0 with a Specialized-installed TCD-W or a new 3.0. I had just gone over 2000 miles on it in the last nine months.

I'll know more tomorrow or Tuesday. So, for now it's back to my RANS Stratus for all my rides.

Last edited:
I've been experiencing some noisy creaks from my crank area for the past couple of months. It's been varied in terms of the noises. At one point, I went to my LBD and had him ride it. He said it needed new bottom bracket bearings but it wasn't a big deal. So, I figured, I'll keep riding until the weather turns a bit not-so-nice and have it done.

Today's ride, more noises, etc. But also first time I noticed a different feel. When I got home from the ride, I was checking the tightness of the cranks when I noticed the entire assembly for the motor was loose ...

The exact same thing happened to me tonight. I've had small creaks every now and then but it wasn't really noticeable. Halfway into my ride tonight, the creaks became more and more pronounced and on every pedal stroke. On the way home I could feel the crank assembly start to move which just got worse to the point where I had to call for a ride. By the time I got home I could move the motor assembly quite a bit just by wiggling the crank arm with my hand. I wanted to take the bottom cover off and take a look but was worried I might void the warranty if I open it up.

Started searching and found this post. Taking it into the shop tomorrow morning.

The exact same thing happened to me tonight. I've had small creaks every now and then but it wasn't really noticeable. Halfway into my ride tonight, the creaks became more and more pronounced and on every pedal stroke. On the way home I could feel the crank assembly start to move which just got worse to the point where I had to call for a ride. By the time I got home I could move the motor assembly quite a bit just by wiggling the crank arm with my hand. I wanted to take the bottom cover off and take a look but was worried I might void the warranty if I open it up.

Started searching and found this post. Taking it into the shop tomorrow morning.
Wow... I had to have my chain replaced a few months ago. I think this may be what caused it. Hopefully, we are the only two and the replacements will be perfect and work forever without issue. Fingers crossed because I REALLY love these bikes. Good luck tomorrow. Where are you located?

The good news is:

• We stand behind our frames—forever. This means we offer a lifetime warranty to the original owner against structural defects in material or workmanship on ALL models of Specialized-branded frames and forks. This includes seatstays and chainstays on full-suspension bikes.

I've had two spills on the bike, last one being about a month ago. Hopefully that isn't the cause as I don't think warranty will cover it. I'm in Kansas City, KS.

2019 Como 3.0 with 960 miles.

Interesting to see 2 recent failures in the same area... let's hope that this is not a design defect in the Como frame.

Can you post photos?

Last edited:
I have had no spills at all. I ride mostly paved trails and crushed stone. Some bumps, curb hits, etc. Normal bike stuff. If your frame is cracked as mine is, it’s gotta be under warranty. It’s a structural defect. I haven’t seen the crack, as the dealer was crazy busy when I asked about my bike today. Hopefully, I will be able to see what has happened before taking my replacement bike home. Spills are to be expected on bikes and should never cause a frame to crack, even if you hit a tree going 28mph. Bend, a little, maybe. Crack? No way. Not saying yours is cracked, but the symptoms sound identical.

I took delivery of mine last September, here in the western suburbs of Chicago, and have put just over 2000 miles on it. 2019 Como 2.0.

Last edited:
Before I took the bike in, I noticed that the bottom cover was a little loose to the point where I could see inside. I couldn't get a good enough picture but I could see that one bolt was loose and out about half an inch. The other bolt I could see was tight but part of the frame it was attached had broken off.

Using the picture attatched as a reference, the green circle is the loose bolt, the yellow circle is the bolt that was tight and the blue line is where the break was. That's kind of an assumption considering it was a little hard to see and upside down but I think that's right.

They should be able to get to it tomorrow so I should know more then.

Attachments

• como motor.png
    como motor.png
    463.1 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
Before I took the bike in, I noticed that the bottom cover was a little loose to the point where I could see inside. I couldn't get a good enough picture but I could see that one bolt was loose and out about half an inch. The other bolt I could see was tight but part of the frame it was attached had broken off.

Using the picture attatched, the green circle is the loose bolt, the yellow circle is the bolt that was tight and the blue line is where the break was. That's kind of an assumption considering it was a little hard to see and upside down but I think that's right.

They should be able to get to it tomorrow so I should know more then.

Thanks for the note. I sent you a note via PM asking if you might possibly be able to email me a high res picture so I can see the frame crack. I am curious to see what is happening.

I wasn't able to get a picture of break, I could only see it peeking in through the gap. I'll be sure to ask the tech to take a photo of whatever he finds and then I'll post them as soon as I get them.

@Uburoibob What bike are they replacing yours with?

I was told that they are sending a replacement bike for mine but they are sending a 2020 Como 3.0 and not the 2019 Como 3.0. I asked if they could do the same model and year but was told that they don't have one. My concern is that the 2020 3.0 is a step down from the 2019 model (20mph vs 28mph, Alivio derailleur vs Deore w/clutch, 9 speed vs 10 speed, 460wh vs 500wh).

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my bike shop and Specialized and that they are taking care of this but I'm starting to consider maybe waiving the replacement/warranty and welding the frame piece back on coupled with a steel adaptor plate. I really liked my Como with its current configuration (and the matte black which looks like they don't have in 2020)

Last edited:
They are replacing my 2019 2.0 with a 2020 3.0. Getting the dark blue color. I know there are 2019 3.0s still in stores and it looks like they are still available on Specialized’s site. I wonder if you can ask. They are sending me the new one cuz I’d had the TCD-W system added under warranty and that’s important to me, and I know my dealer doesn’t want to go through that ordeal again. I hope you can work it out. Perhaps your dealer can swap the motor and battery from yours?

That dark blue looks nice! I don't think they make the Como in a color I don't like … except maybe the lilac.

I did ask about the 2019. The bike replacement comes directly from Specialized and unfortunately not the store's inventory (the shop does have one in another state.) It's Specialized saying they are out of the 2019 XL (and even the M/L) frame. Just checked their website and sure enough it only shows the small frame as available.

Nothing is set in stone yet and the shop is still "seeing what they can do". I'm not completely against the 2020 3.0 either, it's still a really nice bike the way it is. Regardless, I'm sure it'll work out one way or another. Thanks Uburoibob!

Erik's bikes seems to still have a few 2019 3.0s in M/L. Specialized has only SMALL left.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I wonder if one could be bought back from a dealer and shipped to your dealer for warranty replacement...

Looks like our posts crossed paths... I hope it all works out for you! I will say this - if you didn't have the TCD-W system, and used Mission Control, you are going to be VERY happy with it. The ability to adjust the low and power range of each of the three speed settings is great. And, for long rides, the Smart Ride feature is outstanding.

Back