Looking for Lightwieght Bikes with Bafang

Henstelfs

Many steep bumpy hills in my town, 10-21% grade. I'll be on lots of gravel trails and some mtb trails. I'm 6'1'' 210lbs. Looking for a HT or FS that I can carry cargo with and get home with at the end of the day without exhausting myself on the hills home. $3600USD or $5000CAD is my absolute max.

Eranger FX45M $2650USD ($3700CAD)
-BBSHD 1000W
-50lbs
-816WH
-Crappy looking tires and brakes

Luna Stance 2 - $3350USD ($4673CAD)
-BBSHD
-~51.5lbs estimate (Stance 2 is 30lbs + 9lbs Battery + 12.5lbs BBSHD)
-624WH
-Battery underneath down stem
-I might try to build something like this myself

Travalnche - $7600USD ($10600CAD)
-
M620
-55lbs
-728WH
-Top Spec
-Breaks budget

Voltbike Enduro - $2000USD ($2800CAD)
-M600
-55lbs
-768WH
-Low Spec
-No throttle
-Seems like an OK bike but seems entry level. Also the seat looks way too far back for hill climbing.

Eranger FS MTB $3650USD ($5100CAD)
-M600
-55lbs
-816WH

FLX Blade 2.0 - $5729 USD ($8000CAD)
-M620
-56.6 lbs
-884WH
-Belt drive with speed Rohloff
-Breaks budget

Exess - ~$6300USD? Their website is down.
-M620
-57lbs
-728WH
-Top Spec
-Breaks budget

Luna Apollo - $4925USD ($6870CAD)
-M620
-60lbs
-1100WH
-Carbon Fibre
-Seems cool but delicate
-breaks budget

Rize RX - $2300USD ($3200CAD)
-M620
-64lbs
-921WH
-Rear Rack, Thudbuster seat

Evelo Aurora Limited $3800USD ($5300CAD)
-M? 750W 105NM
-71lbs
-696WH

So there are many other bikes with bafang motors that are heavier like the Frey CC or EX at 77lbs. What lightweight bikes do you know of with Mid drive Bafang?

in that price range you can get a bulls or one of the there e name brand and they will do hills well and weigh less. 21% is no problem on my Bosch speed. plus it only weighs 52 pounds and will get you upttto 60 miles.

I know it's not a mid drive, but the HillEater is another option. It has an awesome hub motor (GMAC) from Grin in Vancouver and the shop is located on Salt Spring Island.
I imagine that Salt Spring and Gibsons have a similar terrain, as in hilly. I test rode a HillEater on Salt Spring and that bike climbed any an all hills with ease. The motor peaks out at around 1600W.
The bike has a 52V battery and the shop owner said that it was possible to install a 72V battery for even more power.
Here's a link: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Newly announced Watt wagon.

~50 lbs, full featured Watt Wagons City Commuter! Class 3 with throttle, $3199, optional electronic shifting, shipping July !
Thread

That's good to know. For some reason I have an idea in my mind that I need UNLIMITED TORQUE.....haha
I am aways from healthy with my food problems. the nI first started riding in nov al li counsel do is spin now I am riding 20 mph on one step above eco. I got up hills uptown 28% without a huge amount of effort. I only have 350 watts ad it is a 36v battery but I never find myself lacking on power. maybe if you want to go up steep hills at 20 mph but there is a price to pay for that.

I know it's not a mid drive, but the HillEater is another option. It has an awesome hub motor (GMAC) from Grin in Vancouver and the shop is located on Salt Spring Island.
I imagine that Salt Spring and Gibsons have a similar terrain, as in hilly. I test rode a HillEater on Salt Spring and that bike climbed any an all hills with ease. The motor peaks out at around 1600W.
The bike has a 52V battery and the shop owner said that it was possible to install a 72V battery for even more power.

Interesting. Cool that they are local. I always thought mid drives where better for hills, but I guess if it's a great geared hub motor than it could compete. It's also cool that they combined the tech of geared and hub motors.

What about the flx trail with the m600 motor, think they still make that bike

think 2.3 tires is as wide as you can go though, not sure if you want wider

i bought a flx roadster and added 2.3 off road tires and a front suspension fork with air and it was still a light bike, think under 50 and it seemed to do well off road for me
i do mostly forest road type riding

only put 250 miles on it, but really liked that bike

i would get the bigger battery- or a second one

fwiw - I bought a bike from Hilleater and David is a great guy. I had a couple of issues with the Juiced I bought from him and he was on top of it right away. If you live in Gibsons (how did Deacon know that?) then I think it's useful to have someone that close. I'd go for a Hilleater bike without hesitation.

I'm liking this bike. Should be programmable to get a decent speed, and a throttle given it is based on Grin Tech. I could be tempted by this bike if they would get a decent color, I could almost handle the yellow, but if not going black I'd prefer a beautiful red, or grey silver, even a deep midnight blue. I'm going to look for some reviews on this bike, maybe have to build my own ebike next. Now if Grin could get a 5-9 gear transmission in there (the GGMAC), belt drive could be a reality.

What about the flx trail with the m600 motor, think they still make that bike

think 2.3 tires is as wide as you can go though, not sure if you want wider

i bought a flx roadster and added 2.3 off road tires and a front suspension fork with air and it was still a light bike, think under 50 and it seemed to do well off road for me
i do mostly forest road type riding

only put 250 miles on it, but really liked that bike

i would get the bigger battery- or a second one
FLX Trail is a solid looking bike. I could bring a spare battery with me for longer trips and get the 650WH. Also only 40lbs! Definitely a top contender. The only problem is that there are no bikes in the FLX Canadian store. I'd have to figure that out.

fwiw - I bought a bike from Hilleater and David is a great guy. I had a couple of issues with the Juiced I bought from him and he was on top of it right away. If you live in Gibsons (how did Deacon know that?) then I think it's useful to have someone that close. I'd go for a Hilleater bike without hesitation.
OOOH Grin Tech built that solar trike for the Suntour ride from France to China and that same guy made the GMAC motor. It's all becoming clear now. So that choice would local, great tech, and I wouldn't have to worry about replacing chains. I wonder if the GMAC is available on a FS? I will inquire.

Looks like I put Gibsons in my profile. When I signed up I think it said showing my location can help people suggest ebikes for me. Looks like it worked.

Back