Looking for input on a commuter bike for a 6'2" rider

lucky2020

I have been thinking about an e-bike for a couple years. I live near Seattle and have a round trip of 20 miles with maybe a max of 100 feet of elevation gain. I'm in moderate shape, early 40's, and about 185 lbs.

I own an old cannondale hardtail and a more recent full suspension trek fuel 9 series. I thought about modifying one of them but would like a clean look and I'm only moderately handy.

In a perfect world I would like a bike that fits my height, has pedal assist, is quiet, under 50 lbs, has a top speed of 25 or so mph with pedaling, can handle a light rain, do 20 miles on a charge and has a decent build quality.

Spending $2,000 would be nice but I would consider spending more. Some of the full suspension models with a bosch drive system look compelling but I wasn't sure if the extra money was warranted since 85% of the time I would be on a paved street. I appreciate the help and have found this forum very helpful.

Many thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Hmmm. All those features for $2000...

Bionx/Falco kits are one way to go (just have someone do the install). Motiv Shadow 36v is going a little over. The E3 Dash is over 25 mph for more. You could probably get a deal on last year's Easy Motions too and the Neo Cross comes in size Large which would be good for you.

Thanks Chandlee. I'm willing to pay more but since I tend to lean that way I thought I would try and start on the thrifty side. I do have a 2013 Neo Xtrem near by at a decent price ($1,750 store demo model) but it only comes in a medium so I wasn't sure if it would fit me. I looked at a couple Dash models online reviews and seem to do well. I will look into the kits you mentioned next.

Hi lucky 2020, I too live in the Seattle area and you must travel north south to have only that elevation change.

I went to several dealers in the area and listened to their spiels and talked to several people around the country in my search for an e bike. I was going to convert my current bike but it was more of a baling wire duct tape approach and expensive to get a kit that I wanted. So the search for the e bike began.

Looked at the e zee and the zuma but pulled the plug on the path plus by Currie. If you get a chance try one out. I had to get the regional rep to get me one to try. Was trying for the zuma but several knowledgeable people directed me to the path plus. I am 6' 4" and 190 and the path plus fit very nicely. It has all the latest technology from Currie and the 48 battery.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. It looks like a very comfortable bike that received good reviews. I'll see if any dealers carry it nearby.

Hi Chris, sounds like you've got a couple options to explore. I'm a fan of the Easy Motion Neo Cross which comes in large (one of the only models they have that does). You could also check out the Neo 29er with the larger diameter wheels (though only Medium frame). I personally prefer the off-road setup for improved comfort and durability... These bikes will hit 25+ in pedal assist mode.

The other option a lot of people have been going with is the IZIP E3 Dash which does come in large as well. It's off-road counterpart is the E3 Peak which has Large too.

To be honest with you, the first ebike that came to mind reading your description was the Stromer ST1 series. You can get the ST1 Platinum with suspension or carbon fork and this thing just feels nice. You get the higher top speed, good range, great weight distribution and a larger frame size option.

Yep... all of these are more expensive. Sorry, that's kind of the state of things with ~$2,000 being a mid-level watermark and most bikes costing above 2.5K. Another neat option would be the new 8Fun mid-drive kit that could go on your existing bike. I haven't published the review yet but you can see the video I shot here. Hope this helps!

To be honest with you, the first ebike that came to mind reading your description was the Stromer ST1 series. You can get the ST1 Platinum with suspension or carbon fork and this thing just feels nice. You get the higher top speed, good range, great weight distribution and a larger frame size option.

If you have the means, then that's the bike.

If you have the means, then that's the bike.

I thought about spending that much but worry i won't use it enough to justify the dough. When looking up stromer it looked like a 2nd version will be coming out soon. I'm interested but need to ride as many bikes as possible to help with the decision.

Thanks Andrew. Do have one of their products? I'm curious if over 20 mph was achievable.

I have a BBS01 with 36v battery. I speak kilometres so I got 32 km/h on the throttle alone on my first ride on Sunday ... bit of wind about, flat road. Could have pedal and gone faster, was just trying out the throttle but.

Andrew

Chandlee - I rode the ST1 last weekend along with maybe 6 others and it was my favorite on smooth paved road. Fast, responsive and very solid. I also like the E-motion 650b Neo Extreme which didn't feel as solid or fast but for the price it rode well and might work great as a commuter bike. After reading some additional post I now would like to try a 650b Neo Jumper. Full suspension would make for an easier commute plus add a broader off road potential.

I have a BBS01 with 36v battery. I speak kilometres so I got 32 km/h on the throttle alone on my first ride on Sunday ... bit of wind about, flat road. Could have pedal and gone faster, was just trying out the throttle but.

Andrew

My 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 9 has a bottom bracket of 95mm so I'm inquiring with a couple places to see if an adapter is available. So far I've only seen 68 and 73 as compatible sizes. Otherwise that motor seems to be a great option.

My 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 9 has a bottom bracket of 95mm so I'm inquiring with a couple places to see if an adapter is available. So far I've only seen 68 and 73 as compatible sizes. Otherwise that motor seems to be a great option.

It's not possible as the axle is not long enough. I have been in communication with Bafang about creating another version for larger BB's, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. We are in the process of rebuilding the required parts for a 100mm BB and I'll try to post back if we accomplish it.

It's not possible as the axle is not long enough. I have been in communication with Bafang about creating another version for larger BB's, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. We are in the process of rebuilding the required parts for a 100mm BB and I'll try to post back if we accomplish it.
Thanks Chris - I will keep my fingers crossed that your 100mm BB experiment goes well.

I am about this size too and considering an ebike. Just a little under 6'2" and and 225 lbs.

Currie was just at a local store over the weekend and I got to ride a Path+. Most addictive thing I have done in years. The guy that was there was extremely helpful. I wish I had gotten his name.

The one I tried was a step through which I believe means it was a medium frame. I am wondering what a large would have felt like. Since the one I tested was a step through, the traditional crotch clearance method wasn't there to give me guidance.

I currently have an old mountain bike that I rarely ride. Too many moguls have left my knees and back showing their age (mid 50's), and a couple of decades of sitting in front of a computer make my mouse hand go numb sometimes when I ride. I'd like to use an Ebike to get some exercise on my 7 mile one way commute. I would really hate to spend two grand on a bike and have it sit in the garage because I find it uncomfortable.

Also given the fact the battery weight is higher than some bikes, would a larger frame be more stable? The parking lot was just big enough to get up to speed but had some gravel so I wasn't about to see how it turned at any decent rate of speed.

I did notice that both myself and my 15 year old son kicked the battery getting on and off with a leg swing as if it was a diamond frame. I kind of like the step through concept especially since I would sometimes be carrying a laptop either in a bag, on the rack, or in a backpack. This also would add weight up high.

Any advice?

I am about this size too and considering an ebike. Just a little under 6'2" and and 225 lbs.

Currie was just at a local store over the weekend and I got to ride a Path+. Most addictive thing I have done in years. The guy that was there was extremely helpful. I wish I had gotten his name.

The one I tried was a step through which I believe means it was a medium frame. I am wondering what a large would have felt like. Since the one I tested was a step through, the traditional crotch clearance method wasn't there to give me guidance.

I currently have an old mountain bike that I rarely ride. Too many moguls have left my knees and back showing their age (mid 50's), and a couple of decades of sitting in front of a computer make my mouse hand go numb sometimes when I ride. I'd like to use an Ebike to get some exercise on my 7 mile one way commute. I would really hate to spend two grand on a bike and have it sit in the garage because I find it uncomfortable.

Also given the fact the battery weight is higher than some bikes, would a larger frame be more stable? The parking lot was just big enough to get up to speed but had some gravel so I wasn't about to see how it turned at any decent rate of speed.

I did notice that both myself and my 15 year old son kicked the battery getting on and off with a leg swing as if it was a diamond frame. I kind of like the step through concept especially since I would sometimes be carrying a laptop either in a bag, on the rack, or in a backpack. This also would add weight up high.

Any advice?
The Path+ Step Thru is actually a large frame with all of the same specs as the standard frame aside from the top tube height. I attached the geometry sheet for reference.

Attachments

• 2014 Geometry (2).pdf
    306 KB · Views: 422
Back