Looking for Giant Dailytour E+ 1 Opinions

bbrebis

Region
Europe
Hi,
This bike looks good on paper to me, but I read very negative reviews (bad electrical system, stops working in the rain, etc.). What's your experience with it?

I plan to do bike touring with it (80 to 120 km rides each day for a week or several weeks). I like that there's no derailleur because I need a bike as easy to use and maintenance free as possible. Also I'm looking for a motor that is as silent as possible (so not a Bosch motor if I understand well).

On the whole, is Giant making reliable products compared to German brands for instance?
Thank you for your help!
Cheers

Last edited:
Looks like a neat unit, we don't have these models in Australia. Larger battery, lower power motor and IGH make it a reasonable choice for touring.

Without data from manufacturers, repairers or shops it's hard to make a balanced assessment on relative failure rates. There's so many variables in the mix too: use style, weather, cleaning regime, storage conditions, ride weight, etc, etc, etc. You don't have to look far for horror stories on every brand of motor. I'm only aware of these two user surveys: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/spring-2020-ebike-reliability-survey-results.33641/ & https://www.wertgarantie.de/sites/d...arantie-e-bike-repair-study-2021_final_en.pdf. While not without issues, the Bosch Performance series and Yamaha/Syncdrive motors perform well in both.

I'd argue after sales support is more important than reliability. If the failure rates in the above surveys are to be believed there's a good chance something will go wrong at some point. What counts is how the bike store and motor manufacturer support you and how quickly you're back on the road. Google reviews, Facebook groups, anecdotal evidence and transparent conversations with your bike shops should give you a sense of what brands to avoid.

For example, there's a LOT of chatter across multiple markets of Shimano dragging their heels with warranty claims, even quite a few cases of them knocking back claims based on the [allegedly] inaccurate claim of speed limiter tampering. Who needs that sort of drama? Not good Shimano.

Specialized on the other hand has the most rabidly loyal following, including plenty of users on their third or fourth motor - there's no shortage in the eMTB forums. Why? Because they get the problems fixed quick smart, no questions asked. Textbook looking after your customer.

How do Giant fare on this scale? I'd say somewhere in between those two extremes from what I've read and experienced. They're good to a point, but don't appear bend over backwards to keep the customer happy.

I commute daily on a Giant Explore. It has been a very wet season here on the Australian east coast and I ride regardless of weather. There have been some truly torrential rides the last few weeks. I expressly asked the dealer how the bike performed in rain at purchase - they assured me there would be no issues. And since I've had 6000 km of trouble free riding, touch wood. The bike has just passed the 2 year warranty period so we'll see if the good run continues. The only issue has been water ingress in the screen, an earlier version not fitted to the Dailytour. Giant replaced two screens under 'goodwill' (they didn't believe a leaky screen constituted a warranty issue), claiming that each replacement was the updated model with improved water sealing. Each leaked and they refused to replace any more. However I've had no error codes or electronic failure so it might be a benign fault. I keep the cockpit electronics covered with bags in wet weather as a precaution. That caveat aside it has been an exceptionally reliable, easy bike to live with. I've replaced a squeaky kickstand, regreased the motor bolts once and that's been it aside from regular drivetrain maintenance.

I wouldn't rule out the Bosch motors - the Active Line are very quite and the Performance line no louder than my Syncdrive Sport or EP8. Motor noise is a non-issue after you've had a few rides to get used to it. Much like a car motor the faint whine or whir gives you a good sense of what it's doing. Bosch also have a very solid after sales reputation, anecdotally second only to Specialized. A Bosch would be at the top of the list on my next purchase.

Last edited:
My previous bike had a Bosch Performance line Speed 65nm and my present bike is a Giant Anytour (Yamaha) sync drive sport motor 75nm

In my experience the Yamaha motor in the Giant is very much quieter than the Bosch. Both motors have performed faultlessly the Bosch had about 3000m and the Giant about 500m so far.

I bought my Giant from a local Giant store which could be useful if there are any warranty issues in the future but Bosch do have an accessable and responsive customer support service.

Overall I prefer the Giant motor over the Bosch but this is only my opinion.I also wish I had an IGH like the Daily Tour, I loath derailers with a passion

This looks at the top spec emtb motors but gives a reasonable sense of noise and reliability. The reliability chapter is possibly the most candid and authoritative round-up I've seen.

Really not applicable for general use e-bikes :)
Granted, but in lieu of other good comparisons I don't think it's entirely without merit.

For example, you can glean some insight into several things, such as the pitch and delivery of the various motor systems (Shimano motors are very natural, Giant motors charge like tractors), and their various reliability issues (Giant/Yamaha motors have some long standing design issues around water which I fortunately haven't experienced as yet, Shimano motors aren't serviceable). There's also great comparative reference of the 2.2 and 1.1 motors under load - are they also used in the full fat and light Vados?

I really do think the noise question will be a non issue in the field. To get the kind of range @bbrebis is talking they'll need a low motor setting. Combined with wind noise and bouncing off the limiter the motor noise on any system will be faint at best, and quickly noise reduced by the auditory system.

Granted, but in lieu of other good comparisons I don't think it's entirely without merit.

For example, you can glean some insight into several things, such as the pitch and delivery of the various motor systems (Shimano motors are very natural, Giant motors charge like tractors), and their various reliability issues (Giant/Yamaha motors have some long standing design issues around water which I fortunately haven't experienced as yet, Shimano motors aren't serviceable). There's also great comparative reference of the 2.2 and 1.1 motors under load - are they also used in the full fat and light Vados?

I really do think the noise question will be a non issue in the field. To get the kind of range @bbrebis is talking they'll need a low motor setting. Combined with wind noise and bouncing off the limiter the motor noise on any system will be a faint whir down near the pedals.
Paul: For instance, I would have never guessed a Brose motor used in a Levo would be so loud. However, Specialized/Brose MTB motors are not used in general use e-bikes. The versions until 2022 were silent or almost silent. The 2022 motors have become audible even if these are not very loud.

P.S. The rider never has their ear close to the motor. The mic is close.

Back