Looking for an ebike that will allow someone with a bad knee to keep up with a serious cyclist on long rides

homehominid

Region
USA
I have a bad knee which only feels fine if I'm pedaling without significant resistance. I rented a Specialized class 1 bike recently and I was able to ride 40 miles pain-free. Looking for an ebike that will allow me to accompany my husband on 30-65 mile rides, mostly paved bike paths with rare sections of crushed limestone. The max range isn't flexible, since I don't have the strength needed to push a disabled bike for the last few miles. I expect that I'll need to carry a second battery on the 65 mile rides.

I'm 5'2 and about 100 lbs so looking for something lighter, I'd like to be able to lift it onto a rack by myself.

Battery needs to be removable since it would be stored in an unheated garage with temps down to -40.

Many of the local trails have restrictions so must be class 1.

Max budget $4000 but I don't want to spend anywhere near that unless I absolutely have to. Prefer to stick closer to $2500. Pre-built only.

Hoping someone can help or has been in a similar situation? TIA!

Marin Sausalito, Kona eCoco, or REI Co-Op CTY e2.2, all use the Shimano e6100 Class 1 motor with a removeable battery, and all weigh around 50lb. The Co-Op CTY e2.2 is on sale at the moment ($2100) and REI sell a spare battery pack ($600).

another consideration is that of a comfortable frame for someone of your stature. Here is a recent Court review

Something to consider is a Trek Verve +3. Mine has a single 500 wh battery. I COULD do 60 miles on mine but it wouldn’t be fun for me, it would be at the lowest assist level. I’m 6’1” and 250 pounds though. Your much lighter weight is going to help with range. I still think you would need a second battery, which is nicely integrated into the bike, you don’t have to switch it out.

Two problems, cost and weight. The 500 wh battery weighs 10 pounds. My Verve 3 weighs 50 pounds, a second battery is going to add 10 more pounds. They can be removed easily but your still pushing 40 pounds. I lift mine on my bike rack but I have a ramp I could use. They have a walk mode that powers the bike at low speeds to go up a ramp. A Verve +3 with a second battery is going to be pushing $4500.

I personally would stick with a name brand sold by a nearby bike shop. Trek, Specialized, Bulls, Cannondale, Giant just to name a few.

Read through this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/lightweight-and-affordable-ebikes.10796/
Of the entries Propella looks more like a bike that I would ride, 37 lb. https://www.propella.bike/
Orbea is the lightweight category giant but I don't like the hips up flat back neck bent back posture. Maybe you do: orbea would be for you. https://www.orbea.com/us-en/
Warning extra shimano and bosch batteries are >$1000.
I'm no expert on light weight, my bike kitted out with most repair parts rain gear tools rides at 94 lb. 60% of my weight, actually. I never pick it up. I roll it over on its seat & handlebars when I change a tire tube or do brake or derailleur work.

Maybe @Stefan Mikes can offer a few suggestions I believe he has a bum knee also and he rides the distance. I agree @dodgeman stick to the known brands.
My suggestion go with Brose motor it's super quiet and powerful.
I do not help selecting an e-bike in two cases:
  • The person cannot afford a good e-bike, and/or
  • In case the person mentions "the throttle" (not the case here).
Thank you.

It's "lose". Are you not a native English speaker?
The OP mentioned a Specialized e-bike. I regret the OP cannot afford that e-bike. What else could I contribute to this thread? "Quality does not come free?"
By your own admittance, you can contribute nothing. Move on

Considering all your butchered English, Im surprised you critigue others, The true sign of a narcissistic. Self aware much?

Last edited:
I will always be partial to the Yamaha powered ebikes out there cause as an owner of a Haibike fat tired, Yamaha PW powered bike, I know they are bullet proof.

I would not discount the good number of lightly used, external battery Haibike and Yamaha-branded ebikes right now on craigslist, facebook marketplace or ebay. The new Yamaha lineup of ebikes that would fit your riding needs have all gone over to the 500wh internally mounted ebike battery, while the first generation have the external battery (which is what I have). In the High power setting, I can get 40 miles of range out of a full charge with my 4.0 inch wide tires, I can only guess what a narrow tired Yamaha powered ebike could max out at.

Used Yamaha powered ebikes that fit your needs were made by Haibike (Trekking series which is their touring models and their mtb models in a 27.5 or 29 inch tire, both hard tail or full suspension); the first gen Yamaha ebikes as mentioned and the Yamaha powered BH models.

Giant is exclusively Yamaha powered as well, but their batteries will only work on a Giant. A Haibike Yamaha powered external battery ebike will interchange with no problems with a Yamaha branded external battery powered bike or a similar BH Yammy ebike. Replacement batteries run about 860-900 dollars and are very long lived with over 700 full recharge cycles before any significant degradation is noted.

Used Bosch external battery ebikes are a good buy as well. And they enjoy great support by Bosch if repair parts or batteries are needed. The early Bosch's with the tiny front chain ring do not pedal well if you need to get somewhere without battery assist; while the Yamaha has a traditional front chain ring and pedals like a normal bike.....

I have a bad knee which only feels fine if I'm pedaling without significant resistance. I rented a Specialized class 1 bike recently and I was able to ride 40 miles pain-free. Looking for an ebike that will allow me to accompany my husband on 30-65 mile rides, mostly paved bike paths with rare sections of crushed limestone. The max range isn't flexible, since I don't have the strength needed to push a disabled bike for the last few miles. I expect that I'll need to carry a second battery on the 65 mile rides.

I'm 5'2 and about 100 lbs so looking for something lighter, I'd like to be able to lift it onto a rack by myself.

Battery needs to be removable since it would be stored in an unheated garage with temps down to -40.

Max budget $4000 but I don't want to spend anywhere near that unless I absolutely have to. Prefer to stick closer to $2500. Pre-built only.

Hi there if your husband is a 'serious cyclist' are you looking for a drop bar road or gravel bike so you can keep in the same style of riding with him? The ebikemotion/ Mahle motor equipped road bikes are often used by people with injuries who want to keep up with road bike groups. Plus they tend to be the lightest on the market often well under 30lbs. I'm just not sure about price however. Orbea might be a place to start looking, but many large road bike manufacturers use this system, the other issue could be removable batteries. Fazua and the Specialized/Mahle SL 1.1 motor that you've tried are the other lightweight bikes/motors in this bracket. The Fazua motor & battery is totally removable. These seem much more popular in UK/Europe then US. After this & a few pounds heavier you're looking at some of the shimano motor equipped bikes like Dewy mentions above. Good hunting!

I also have a bad knee and found from extensive test riding that in my case, almost any class 1 bike lets me ride pain free.

E-bikes are a bit more complicated than conventional bikes and require more maintenance. Unless you're handy with tools, a BIG consideration is having a friend or local bike shop that will service the bike you choose. Brands that have good warranties & customer service are also important. To me, there is noting worse than paying a lot of $$ for a bike, only to have it sit waiting for parts or service.

Dual battery bikes or adding a second battery will increase the price considerably. You may have trouble finding one in the $2500 range.

Visit a few LBS in your area and see what they recommend. Travel if you have to but more test riding would also be a good idea. This will allow you to gauge performance and see if you can handle the bikes weight. Most are in the 50# range but lighter models are available. This will further limit your choice though. Another option might be to get a bike rack with easy load features to compensate for the extra weight.

EBR has sub forums for most bike makes. When you narrow your search down to a few, check them out to see what others are saying.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

I would look at the step through foldable like the Lectric brand.

You might have trouble keeping up with serious cyclists with just a class 1 and I would consider a class 2 ebike.

Three knee surgeries and no ligament in my right knee. I ride almost every day on the Ariel X.

Best!

If that serious rider doesn't want to sleep on couch he won't be racing.

Lighter bikes ie <20kg have less powerful motors so you will need to work harder which may upset knee. They also have lot smaller batteries to save weight.
With good platform bike rack and ramp you shouldn't need to lift bike onto rack. Still pays to remove battery as they can be upto 4.5kg these days.
The other plus these racks make loading a bike a breeze. I can have my Thule rack attached to car a and two bikes load plus locked up in 2-3 minutes. See youtube videos.

Back to bike. Go for step through as easier to handle when stopped and easy to remove battery. Typically more you spend more powerful motor and larger battery. Given your sensitive knee 65-90nm motor with 10-11spd as they have extra low gear for easier climbing. Shouldn't need it for most hills it but nice to have. Battery size you need to trade between large 600-700wh or smaller 400-500wh with spare. The alternative to 2nd battery is to charge it while stopped at cafe for lunch. A 4A charger which lot bikes come with will give you extra 150Wh over 1hour. 2A = 75wh while 6A =225wh.

another consideration is that of a comfortable frame for someone of your stature. Here is a recent Court review
The cube has 4A charger and 65nm motor which I have. 10spd would be ideal in saying that 9spd will climb all but steepest hills with ease in Turbo. Only real down size is 400wh battery which means budgeting for spare, alternative upgrade to 500wh and allow for long lunch on longer rides.

Biktrix Ultra will allow you to leave your husband in the dust and it has the battery capacity for 30 to 60 mile rides.
It has a dual battery option so no lugging a spare around, it has a 1000watt 160nm motor so you will not get left behind no matter how bad your knees are.
Its Top speed unlocked is Probably around 34 mph and it comes in custom colors.
1662631290274.png

Back