Looking for a folding ebike

Ruggb

Hi all, first time posting, long time reader :)

I'm looking for a folding ebike primarily for commuting. I'm sick of getting my work clothes sweaty or having to shower at work. I've decided on folding for convenience transporting it on public transit and in the trunk of Ubers/Lyfts (1-2 times/week). My normal daily commute summary is attached. I'll be riding on the road, most of which has a bike lane. I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs

Requirements
  • At least 20 miles | 32 kilometers per charge
  • Can be folded quickly (<1 min)
  • Capable of climbing small/medium hills
  • Somewhat comfortable to ride (so probably 20" wheels and/or suspension)
  • $3200 or less
  • < 50 lbs | 23 kgs
Nice to haves
  • >1 gear
  • Functional when battery is dead
  • Able to be rolled when folded
  • Chain guard or belt to prevent getting clothes dirty
  • Fenders (it gets pretty rainy/wet in the bay area)
  • 20 mph | 32 kph
  • < 40 lbs | 18 kgs
  • Integrated lights
I have create a spreadsheet of bikes that meet some or most of these requirements. Feel free to recommend ones not on the list as well. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xv5l19W18pDv0UAsNFvzdSDoXCQ4-PwxhGl-bCyHia8/edit?usp=sharing

Attachments

• daily commute.png
    daily commute.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 456
Well I picked an Lectric XP weighing some 52lbs with battery. It can be rolled around in folded state, but there is a learning curve. Once figured out, it rolls acceptably.

I own a 20 x4"" fat tire folder much like the Lectic XP amd Radmini. The former are fun bikes, but are in my opinion, not the kind of bike one calls a folding bike. Their strengths are that they fit the larger person, are powerful, but they are not portable unless you like to camp with a huge RV. Then they appear small and light in comparison.

I also own a pair of more traditional folding bikes, converted to electric. I built them for lightness and short trips, under 20 miles. In the folding bike world, the top bikes are the Bike Friday and Bromptoms. Very light and quite foldable. I'd love to own either brand, but don't care for Bromptom's problematic front motor or Grin's front motor solution. Neither would I want to busy up a winning design by hanging a motor on it.
I
f you got $3K, there's the GoCycle. Howver, it doesn't have the kind of support you should get for its price.

If I were to buy one tomorrow, I'd watch this video again. The motor is in a better position in the rear, and the battery storage in the seat tube makes for nice look.

I have a 20 inch folder, and a Brompton with the Grin kit. I'm happy with both. If you truly plan on folding and putting it inside vehicles, go test ride a regular Brompton and see how you like it. If you find the ride agreeable, get a two speed version and the grin kit. You can take it almost everywhere, and the fold protects you from the chain. With the battery inside the bag, you can split the weight when carrying it and going up stairs. Doesn't roll so great when it's folded, though (sadly most folders are like this). You'll have to get your own battery from Grin or another vendor. Short term, it's more of a hassle. In the long run you aren't tied to a proprietary system, and you can decide how big you actually need the battery to be.

If you find the Brompton too twitchy, then I'd go with a 20" non-fat tire. It'll be more comfortable on rough surfaces, and probably more sure footed on wet surfaces. But you may begin to hate loading into a vehicle several times per week, and it'll feel more bulky even if the weight is similar.

I have a 20 inch folder, and a Brompton with the Grin kit. I'm happy with both. If you truly plan on folding and putting it inside vehicles, go test ride a regular Brompton and see how you like it. If you find the ride agreeable, get a two speed version and the grin kit. You can take it almost everywhere, and the fold protects you from the chain. With the battery inside the bag, you can split the weight when carrying it and going up stairs. Doesn't roll so great when it's folded, though (sadly most folders are like this). You'll have to get your own battery from Grin or another vendor. Short term, it's more of a hassle. In the long run you aren't tied to a proprietary system, and you can decide how big you actually need the battery to be.

If you find the Brompton too twitchy, then I'd go with a 20" non-fat tire. It'll be more comfortable on rough surfaces, and probably more sure footed on wet surfaces. But you may begin to hate loading into a vehicle several times per week, and it'll feel more bulky even if the weight is similar.
@michael mitchell which 20" folder do you have?

Great build. After looking at numerous folding bikes I discovered that most were poor attempts at copying the industry leaders. Many are really not folding bikes. For me a fat tire frame and 63lbs may as well be a full sized bike. The quality difference is much more noticeable among folders. As always others mileage may vary. I did buy a cheap folder. It’s OK but it’s really just a smaller bike, not a great folder.

Ruggb, you could visit a REI store. They carry 10 TRUE folding bikes - 5 Bromptons and 5 Terns (2 being TRUE folding Ebikes - D8 and the S10). 16"ers (Brompton), 20"ers (Tern - 50-406 and 55-406 tires) and a 24"er (Tern Node). Depending on the size of the store, they usually have a fair cross section of these bikes and they (at least here) let you try them out. Plus if you're a member they qualify for the 10% dividend.

Last edited:
I own a 20 x4"" fat tire folder much like the Lectic XP amd Radmini. The former are fun bikes, but are in my opinion, not the kind of bike one calls a folding bike. Their strengths are that they fit the larger person, are powerful, but they are not portable unless you like to camp with a huge RV. Then they appear small and light in comparison.

I also own a pair of more traditional folding bikes, converted to electric. I built them for lightness and short trips, under 20 miles. In the folding bike world, the top bikes are the Bike Friday and Bromptoms. Very light and quite foldable. I'd love to own either brand, but don't care for Bromptom's problematic front motor or Grin's front motor solution. Neither would I want to busy up a winning design by hanging a motor on it.
I
f you got $3K, there's the GoCycle. Howver, it doesn't have the kind of support you should get for its price.

If I were to buy one tomorrow, I'd watch this video again. The motor is in a better position in the rear, and the battery storage in the seat tube makes for nice look.
For my money, I'd buy the Dolphin too. (I recently became a dealer for them, so yeah I have a bias, but its after dealing with previously mediocre folders that others claimed were 'good', yet $400 to $800 more than the Dolphin.) I've ridden many different brands of folding ebikes and usually they are all too stiff or even feel unstable, sometimes just way too fast for their geometry and tires, often with choppy acceleration that gets ahead of you or wrong cadence for the speed, poor shocks if they had them, or just too darn heavy for what little bike is actually there, whereas the Dolphin is very stable, feels much more like a bike with 26" wheels, very nimble, and is by far the most comfortable. It also rolls very well folded. (third party reviewers highlight that feature - many folders do not roll at all. ) Easy to pedal without assist, weighs 50lbs. Fenders and racks are available options. 500 watt, Motor is super quiet, very smooth acceleration, almost like torque sensing type feel. 14 AH battery will provide plenty of range. Put a Cloud9 seat on it, and you're comfort factor will be awesome, especially on their 2.3" width tires. (no need to go to 4" fat, which is un-needed weight and bulk especially when folded) Paint finish on their grey/silver model is like a car finish in terms of depth and gloss. Front light is integrated. Included Rear light is seperate. (i'd buy a better one off the shelf, and mount it on the rear rack.) The overall build quality is very solid. Customer support is excellent, and would not hesitate buying direct if no dealer is near you. Built in Taiwan, so there is no 25% tariff being stolen away , so all your money is going into the ebike, not uncle Sam's undeserving pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another not on your list to consider.

It’s 53 pounds, but The x-treme epic mini is good and compact. With 8 AH, you have a fighting chance at 20 mile range at your weight. I’m 6’3” and 220 and gauge my throttle-only (or pedal very little) range in the 16-18 mile range. Front and rear suspension. Reasonably rideable on zero/off. Only $1,200.

It doesn’t come with fenders, but that’s easily remedied with cheap fenders (bottom link) I put on mine.

SKS Rowdy 20-24" Set BLK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013CVZGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Ff-DbKTNBSKB

Sondors Fold X is a great (fat) 20” bike, but probably over 50 pounds. So is Ecotric fat folder (super cheap), but likely meaningfully over 50 pounds too.

I think E-Joe has an EPIK SE folder made in carbon that may come in under 50 pounds or close. However, I have never ridden one.

You can get a GoCycle GS demo with a one-year warranty direct from GoCycle for $1400-1600:

Another not on your list to consider. It’s 53 pounds, but The x-treme epic mini is good and compact. With 8 AH, you have a fighting chance at 20 mile range at your weight.
I’m 6’3” and 220 and gauge my throttle-only (or pedal very little) range in the 16-18 mile range. Front and rear suspension. Reasonably rideable on zero/off. Only $1,200.

It doesn’t come with fenders, but that’s easily remedied with cheap fenders (bottom link) I put on mine.

SKS Rowdy 20-24" Set BLK
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013CVZGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Ff-DbKTNBSKB

Sondors Fold X is a great (fat) 20” bike, but probably over 50 pounds. So is Ecotric fat folder (super cheap), but likely meaningfully over 50 pounds too.
I think E-Joe has an EPIK SE folder made in carbon that may come in under 50 pounds or close. However, I have never ridden one.

I second the recommendation for the SKS Rowdy fenders... a well priced front and rear set that will also fit larger wheels from 26-27.5"

1579751452400.png

We have a Pedego Latch, but haven't used its folding capabilities much yet. I think it's heavier than you are looking for, but I'm not sure of the weight.

I'd say take a look at the Dolphin video harryS linked above... here's the EBR overview...

It looks like it hits all the requirements and most of your "nice to haves" and less than half the price you've budgeted for an e-bike. The battery is 14ah battery which is probably 3 times the range you're looking for, given your stated weight. In warm weather, I've hit 62km range on a 13ah battery, with 4" fat tires and I'm 50lbs heavier.

With 2.35" wide tires, you probably wouldn't need suspension unless you have a lot of potholes on your commute, or plan on going off-road with it.

They also have the less expensive Volador, with a smaller battery (7ah) and narrower 2" tires, but also weighs less than 40lbs.

One piece of advice - Stay away from anything with 3"+ fat tires if you want to pedal without battery.

I don't own a Dolphin, only because it still wasn't available when I decided to pull the trigger on a 20x4 fat tire.

Here's two 20" wheels. One is a 3" wide rim using the 20 x4.0" tires from my Ecotric Fat tire 20" folder. The other is a 20 x1.50" Kenda on a standard folding bike rim. The tire diameters are 23.5" vs 19.5".

I switched the Ecotric over to 20x3" smooth tread tires, which are about 21.5" in diameter. I can pedal that bike fairly well with the motor off. The tread makes big difference. The chunky tires provided on most fat tire bikes don't roll as easy.

We were surprised by the size of the Ecotric, which is the same as your LEctric XP's, Radminis, Scoozeys. etc. I use it to pull the grand kid. The bigger motor and frame make it a good tow vehicle.

I switched the Ecotric over to 20x3" smooth tread tires, which are about 21.5" in diameter. I can pedal that bike fairly well with the motor off. The tread makes big difference. The chunky tires provided on most fat tire bikes don't roll as easy.

We were surprised by the size of the Ecotric, which is the same as your LEctric XP's, Radminis, Scoozeys. etc. I use it to pull the grand kid. The bigger motor and frame make it a good tow vehicle.

View attachment 44466
Oh for sure a different tread makes a difference. Which 3" tires are those, the Vee Speedsters?

I've been considering swapping out my knobby tires.

Back