Look out for this at Interbike next week Spīr Electric Bikes

Fantastic, I will try to see them at Interbike and order a few bikes.

I would be interested in how they dissipate 750 watts of heat inside the frame. If you run a bottle hanger off the seat tube, you might be able to brew a cup of coffee in 10-15 miles or so.

I would be interested in how they dissipate 750 watts of heat inside the frame. If you run a bottle hanger off the seat tube, you might be able to brew a cup of coffee in 10-15 miles or so.

Drew is the engineer behind this project and he explained that they use the frame as heat sink for both the controller and the motor.

It is a very stealthy design, and it has a lot of capability.

My problem is that there are no user serviceable parts.

You can't remove the battery unless the motor drive is removed.. By a dealer.

The motor drive is a first of a kind one of a kind design. Servicing or replacing it can only be done by the dealer.

Relaibility of new designs like this is usually not very good.

I just hope they do not sell this bike on line, and only at the retail level where a dealer can take care of the bike.. The owner certainly won be able to.

Fantastic, I will try to see them at Interbike and order a few bikes.

If you see them at Interbike, try to record something with that bike on demo day.. they don't have any videos so I don't believe they have a working prototype. idk though... I like to see things working instead of just reading about how theoretical they are.

Impressive specs if it really works. Agreed that heat dissipation will be an issue, even if done through the frame. We experience issues with this when it is very hot and high humidity- air flow isn't enough to pull off heat from some hub motors or the internal brushed motor used on an Ego scooter.

It is a very stealthy design, and it has a lot of capability.

My problem is that there are no user serviceable parts.

You can't remove the battery unless the motor drive is removed.. By a dealer.

The motor drive is a first of a kind one of a kind design. Servicing or replacing it can only be done by the dealer.

Relaibility of new designs like this is usually not very good.

I just hope they do not sell this bike on line, and only at the retail level where a dealer can take care of the bike.. The owner certainly won be able to.
Yea, reminds me of another sucky product: the iPhone. Glad that beast (iphone) died on the vine and no one purchased it. Non-serviceable and can't remove battery leads to nothing but failure.

Their web page is attempting to present their stuff-everything-inside-the-frame design as the only alternative to hub motor and rear rack battery. Straw man arguments are not a good sign.

Yea, reminds me of another sucky product: the iPhone. Glad that beast (iphone) died on the vine and no one purchased it. Non-serviceable and can't remove battery leads to nothing but failure.

I'll have whatever you're having with Dinner..haha.

If Apple's new product was an electric bike and it was unique and completely non serviceable by the customer, no one including me would have any concern about its performance or reliability. A $600 billion company's reputation precedes the new product.

Alas, Spīr is not Apple. They're not even Sondors.

But please go ahead and order a few. Stay close to the dealer!

Back