Locks and Security Solutions for Electric Bikes

How does ziilock attach to the bike? Does it have holes to use bottle holder mount?

it has a fairly sturdy plastic holder. you have the option of attaching it through the water bottle mounts or it comes with rubber straps. My e-bike has only one set of water bottle mounts that I prefer to use for a water bottle. I carry it in my bag right now, but the rubber straps seem okay.

This was a bit of a nightmare with production and delivery delays, but now that I've gotten past the indiegogo/kickstarter frustrations, I like it a lot. I don't live in an urban neighborhood, so I'm not leaving it locked in high theft areas for hours at a time. There are varying takes on how secure the folding steel bars really are, but I find that I use it more simply because it's easier to lock and unlock. It's on the heavy side, but probably lighter than the "serious" security solutions.
Were you able to utilize the Bluetooth connectivity that comes with the lock? Just curious what the range was between your phone and the lock connection.

to lock and unlock it's about 30 feet. for the location information/alarm, it's much better than that.
Great. That is more than acceptable range for that. I think the "alert" feature built into locks today is a useful add-on. I will be sure my next lock purchase has that feature. Good Luck with it!

As soon as my kryptonite lock warrenty runs out I may get this Bully Ulock which comes with a built in alarm and pager function, the pager lets you know if the alarm goes off within 700m (advertised). Pretty nifty for something with no subscription service fee.

As soon as my kryptonite lock warrenty runs out I may get this Bully Ulock which comes with a built in alarm and pager function, the pager lets you know if the alarm goes off within 700m (advertised). Pretty nifty for something with no subscription service fee.
The Bully looks interesting. I think the use of the pager or a cellphone signal makes more sense for an alarm than bluetooth. The only advantage for bluetooth is that there's no monthly fee. I definitely wouldn't buy the ziilock for the alarm, but the form factor, fingerprint reader, cellphone unlock/lock program are all pretty appealing to me. I'd taken my u-lock out a few times and forgotten my key, so one less thing for me to worry about.

Do you guys think a Pewag 10mm chain will be thick enough to secure the bike for quick stops, or should I go for the Pewag 12mm chain?

Do you guys think a Pewag 10mm chain will be thick enough to secure the bike for quick stops, or should I go for the Pewag 12mm chain?

I have a 4 foot, 10mm Pewag chain for each of our two Lectric XP ebikes and am very confident in their security. There are no chains that will withstand a angle grinder attack for more than a minute or two, but the Pewag 10mm is among the best and strongest available. You will want a strong lock for it, and I also bought two Viro "Panzer" 4126 locks. They are designed for use with chains and will not be the weak point in your security. I paid $130 per chain & lock for each bike. The 12mm chain is stronger and also much heavier but instead of that, I'd get some sort of motion alarm to deter tampering and loss of your accessories also.

Might as well get the kryptonite evo 10mm 5ft chain lock if you are going to go thru all that. Thats what I am using in combo with a kryptonite ulock...Its on on amazon for about 80 bucks works great and I love it for security.

Oh and plus you get a year of protection of theft....they will pay for your bike, although the conditions have to be met, its better than no offer at all.

Last edited:
Might as well get the kryptonite evo 10mm 5ft chain lock if you are going to go thru all that. Thats what I am using in combo with a kryptonite ulock...Its on on amazon for about 80 bucks works great and I love it for security.

Oh and plus you get a year of protection of theft....they will pay for your bike, although the conditions have to be met, its better than no offer at all.

That's a good recommendation also. I was able to buy the lock and chain at a local industrial supplier and one of the things that led me to this combo is the Viro locks can be purchased with "Same Key" option. As I mentioned, we have two Lectric XP's and having a single key for both is pretty handy. I see that the LockPickingLawyer gives your Kryptonite a good review and also states that 10mm chain is a practical upper limit balancing security and weight.

I disagree with the 10mm chain idea, here is Bennetts review of the Abus 10mm chain, and it isn't pretty:

The Pewag 10mm chain is probably the only 10mm chain I would consider. I am leaning towards a noose, because it seems more practical, which is something Abus offers in a 12mm thickness, and Pragmasis offers in a 13mm thickness. I would

I don't know if Abus rates or publishes their chain Rockwell Hardness but Pewag are said to be 62 and this is equal to, or greater than the blades of most bolt cutters. I have never seen a YouTube video of a 10mm+ Pewag chain being cut with bolt cutters up to 42", including a chain ratchet to apply cutting pressure. I do recall seeing the bolt cutter blades destroyed though.

Pewag Bolt Cutter Attack

After a week with an inexpensive $25 Kryptonite TKO folding lock from Walmart I'm not sure I would invest more money on a heavier duty lock. YMMV! The plates are thick enough to survive most bolt cutters and while I could go with thicker plates what's the point? If a thief wants my bike they are going to get it, so why bog down the bike with extra weight. This lock so easy to pull out / put back in the case with minimal time and effort to lock up the bike. Roughly 2 pounds. Does not rattle when riding. Just long enought to lock my rear wheel in the frame. I think it's a version branded for Walmart, so no kryptonite theft guarantee (that in reality is worthless if you read the fine print - you need to take picture of your bike every time you lock it, no thanks). Way more secure than the silly cable lock I was using. I picked up 2 to get free shipping but could have bought 3 for the price of 1 foldylock.

Wirecutter recommends the Kryptonite Keeper 585 which is pretty much the equivalent lock (similar plate thickness) but sold for twice the price. Seems they don't think thicker plates give that much more security to justify the extra weight.

After a week with an inexpensive $25 Kryptonite TKO folding lock from Walmart I'm not sure I would invest more money on a heavier duty lock. YMMV! The plates are thick enough to survive most bolt cutters and while I could go with thicker plates what's the point? If a thief wants my bike they are going to get it, so why bog down the bike with extra weight. This lock so easy to pull out / put back in the case with minimal time and effort to lock up the bike. Roughly 2 pounds. Does not rattle when riding. Just long enought to lock my rear wheel in the frame. I think it's a version branded for Walmart, so no kryptonite theft guarantee (that in reality is worthless if you read the fine print - you need to take picture of your bike every time you lock it, no thanks). Way more secure than the silly cable lock I was using. I picked up 2 to get free shipping but could have bought 3 for the price of 1 foldylock.

Wirecutter recommends the Kryptonite Keeper 585 which is pretty much the equivalent lock (similar plate thickness) but sold for twice the price. Seems they don't think thicker plates give that much more security to justify the extra weight.

I came to a similar conclusion and also have the Kryptonite TKO folding lock... even cheaper on Amazon. ;)

Really? Mine was only $25 from Walmart. Picked up 2 to get free shipping. Amazon was the same price but more expensive shipping. My only complaint is the straps to attach the case didn't work for my frame so I picked up this inexpensive cage mount on amazon to attach it to my seatpost. It allows for mounting the case lower on the seatpost while extending far enough out to not interfere with the seat clamp.

Really? Mine was only $25 from Walmart. Picked up 2 to get free shipping.

Amazon was the same price but more expensive shipping. My only complaint is the straps to attach the case didn't work for my frame so I picked up this inexpensive cage mount on amazon to attach it to my seatpost. It allows for mounting the case lower on the seatpost while extending far enough out to not interfere with the seat clamp.

I ordered mine last year on Amazon... $16 with free S&H. ;)

1600387767665.png

Back