Locks and Security Solutions for Electric Bikes

Reached out to Ottolock C/S regarding the posted video above and their response was interesting as to the ease of cutting into the strap:

"The failure you are seeing in the video was caused from three conditions: heavier gauge shears, extra tight lock nut, and tightness of the lock band".

Their explanation does not appear to be the issue here at all. Anyone?

Bob, I agree with your post. The reply from Ottolock C/S makes no sense ? ...I thought their statement about 'heavier gauge shears' was comical. Anything lighter would be
a pair of scissors.

Bob, I agree with your post. The reply from Ottolock C/S makes no sense ? ...I thought their statement about 'heavier gauge shears' was comical. Anything lighter would be
a pair of scissors.

Really-In my email to C/S, I was very clear regarding the cutting of the lock was like going through paper and I received the posted reply. I kinda felt like she was in total denial based on the tone of the statement. Really bad for business. Curious to know if this guy on YT could possibly be sued by the corporate giants for all of this negative exposure. So informative though...

"Curious to know if this guy on YT could possibly be sued by the corporate giants for all of this negative exposure. So informative though..."

He takes their product, he takes some cheap off-the-shelf wire cutters, he cuts their product and says "that was sure easy". What's there to sue about? There are millions of user reviews of products on YouTube.

"Curious to know if this guy on YT could possibly be sued by the corporate giants for all of this negative exposure. So informative though..."

He takes their product, he takes some cheap off-the-shelf wire cutters, he cuts their product and says "that was sure easy". What's there to sue about? There are millions of user reviews of products on YouTube.
Not sure, that is why I asked. Corporate could do all kinds of goofy stuff to people (frivolous lawsuits, etc) just to 'rattle his cage' a bit. You never know...

Last edited:

Just an FYI. The YouTuber that posted the cutting of the Otto Lock, "The Lock Picking Lawyer" is a real Lawyer and highly skilled at lock picking, locks
and security. I found other reviewers of the Otto Lock, one in particular that received three defective locks he hoped to use for testing. His opinion Avoid !
The lock sells for $65-$85....

Of particular concern to me is the battery. The battery on the bike I intend to purchase is $1000. Held onto the frame by a relatively simple lock'n'key mechanism. I would think a savvy thief could shimmy that open in seconds. As more and more eBikes become prevalent and words gets out that these big batteries are expensive I would imagine there will be many eyes on them. In my opinion the frames on most of these bikes aren't worth much - usually just run of the mill steel or aluminum $300 frames. And the components are the same. It's that battery that runs about 50% of the cost of the bike for me.

Anybody have any suggestions for that issue? I'm thinking more and more that I won't be locking this bike up and instead will be keeping it with me.

Honestly, I just don't leave my bikes unattended. It sucks but in my small town it just isn't safe and as you say batteries are expensive. In Canada my 52V 21ah battery is almost $2000 and I just won't risk it. We have hundreds of homeless/druggies most riding pretty nice bikes, I guarantee you none of them paid for them. It's unfortunate I can't ride to a coffee shop for a coffee or I would be walking home whatever lock I used.

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, I hope asking it here is fine.

I am about to buy my ebike but small two-wheeler theft is rampaging through the UK right now and I don't feel like paying a few thousand pounds for an ebike only to have it stolen.

I am also tight on budget but I want to get a tracking system installed as soon as I get my hands on my bike. I did some research and found this package: https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/electric-e-bike-scooter-gps-tracking It seems really cheap for a tracking package and I heard only good things about these guys.

My question is do you recommend a tracking package? How is your experience with them if you have used one? Should I buy this package or do you recommend an alternative security option for my ebike?

I would appreciate it if you could help. I definitely want to keep owning my ebike once I bought it!

Although I can't speak specifically about Rewire Security, GPS / cellular tracking systems have had some success here in the US in recovering stolen property. The high value and relatively small size of an e-bike makes it a tempting target for thieves. As the number of these tracking devices increases, so do the measures smart thieves are using to defeat them. Many use a cheap, simple "Faraday" blanket to block the GPS / cellular signals. Fortunately, most thieves aren't that smart so the majority of these systems are still effective.

The key to e-bike security is to use multiple anti theft methods, many of which have been discussed in this thread. The Rewire Security system you are looking at is certainly worth considering but I wouldn't rely on it completely. I would use it in conjunction with other measures including a good lock.

I will take it into consideration. Everyone basically says the same thing that I should use multiple locks and anti-theft methods. I am even considering a bike locker and I will make sure to remove the battery when I park it for the night for good measure.
Thanks for the sound advice.

I will take it into consideration. Everyone basically says the same thing that I should use multiple locks and anti-theft methods. I am even considering a bike locker and I will make sure to remove the battery when I park it for the night for good measure.
Thanks for the sound advice.

FYI-Arrius-
If you are considering getting a bike lock, this one gets very high marks for anti-theft cutting. Another one for less but received a high rating was the ONGUARD that also has a hardened steel shank OnGuard U-Lock. Good Luck!

Re audible alarms: Not only are they ineffective at deterring thieves, they're a nuisance and a target for vandals. When I was riding my electric scooter I used to activate its alarm whenever I parked and locked it somewhere. Then one day I locked it up on a bike rack at a busy subway station. About two minutes later I heard its alarm go off and I hurried back to find nobody around the scooter. I shut the alarm off and started to walk away, immediately the alarm went off again. Passersby were deliberately setting off the alarm, both to create a nuisance for fun and to drain my battery. I also noticed that when the alarm went off nobody paid any attention to it. I never used that alarm again.

FYI-Arrius-
If you are considering getting a bike lock, this one gets very high marks for anti-theft cutting. Another one for less but received a high rating was the ONGUARD that also has a hardened steel shank OnGuard U-Lock. Good Luck!

I use Abus locks, a U lock and a heavy chain lock. Abus is a respected German manufacturer. The chains are what motorcyclists use to secure their bikes. The links are welded and covered in a heavy nylon sleeve so thieves can't pry them open. They're heavy to lug around but I just put the panniers on my bike and carry one lock on each side. Two high quality locks take a lot longer for a thief to break open than one cheap lock. I find that the chain lock allows me to lock my bike to objects that my U lock would never fit around. I use the chain to lock my bike to the rack or post, the U-lock connects the rear wheel to the frame.

A few general tips to avoid theft:
- Always lock your bike alongside other bikes when you can. Thieves will go after the bike with the flimsiest lock and bypass your bike. If you can, try to park your bike in the middle of the group, which makes your bike and locks harder to reach.

- Always lock your bike in high traffic areas. Many people think a hidden area is safer because a thief won't find your bike. Think again. They like secluded areas where they will have time to work on your lock. I often shop at a mall which only has a bike rack at the back of the building. Nobody uses that rack. Also, high traffic areas are usually equipped with surveillance cams, so if your bike gets stolen the cops may be able to get video footage of the theft to catch the thieves and/or recover your bike.

- Make sure the bike rack is secure before using it. Older racks often have skinny bars which a thief can cut with an angle grinder. Other old racks aren't secured to the ground, thieves can steal the rack along with your bike and cut it off later. Try to wiggle the rack around to see how secure it is. If it's wobbly or loose, avoid it.

- Never lock your bike to a tree or wooden post, they can be cut down. Same goes for metal sign posts, they're easily cut with an angle grinder, or the thief just removes the sign from the post and lifts the bike off. Don't lock to posts shorter than 15 feet if they're not topped with sturdy horizontal bars, as thieves can lift the bike and lock over the post. Never lock to the links of chain link fences, only lock to the posts if they're secure and impossible for a thief to lift the bike over. This applies to electric scooters as well - gangs of thieves have been known to lift an e-scooter and lock over a pole to steal it, even though a scooter with lead acid batteries weighs around 500 lb.

Hi all i am based in the UK and just about to take charge of my new R&M supercharger GX and have some reservations about the Abus plus lock that comes with the bike , is this lock one of their gold standard locks ? i already have an award winning bike lock which is the (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

cheers

There are videos of that LiteLok being cut in sixteen seconds with a medium size pair of cable cutters. I think the Abus is a pretty good additional bet, and I’d use them both every time on something that expensive and desirable.

Hi all i am based in the UK and just about to take charge of my new R&M supercharger GX and have some reservations about the Abus plus lock that comes with the bike , is this lock one of their gold standard locks ? i already have an award winning bike lock which is the (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)

cheers

Abus is a German manufacturer with an excellent reputation. They've been around since the 1920's and they make a wide variety of locks including padlocks, industrial and other non-bike locks. I use two Abus locks to secure my ebike, as I described in an earlier post in this thread. I've read that sometimes thieves will avoid trying to break locks from a well known brand name like Abus or Kryptonite if they're looking for a quick and easy target. It helps if there are bikes with cheaper/easier locks nearby.

I just spent a lot of time figuring out thru axle solutions for my new haibike replacing the QRs that came with the bike. The rear axle will be replaced with robert axle's axle; they make a lot of different sizes and lengths so you'll most likely be able to find all QR replacements there including boost. (https://robertaxleproject.com/axle-finder-2/) [This is an update to Court's original post.]

For the front axle, my haibike came with a sun tour suspension which uses a proprietary QR axle; it pushes through the dropouts and uses a spring mechanism instead of just threading through the dropout like a normal TA. Well, fortunately Hexlox makes a universal TA that is compatible with sun tour qloc systems. Problem solved. (https://hexlox.com/collections/bikes-with-thru-axles/products/universal-thru-axle-hexlox-ready)

As to security, both wheels and suspension seat post secured with hexlox nuts and i can just U lock the frame to a bike stand and still have total security. And for those awful bike racks where you just put a single tire through two vertical slats (making it impossible to lock the frame directly to the rack; i'm looking at you work) i can just ulock the front tire to the bike stand. Since the front tire cannot be removed the whole bike becomes secure.

also: praise sheldon. https://lifehacker.com/the-proper-way-to-lock-your-bicycle-5942301

Last edited:
I just spent a lot of time figuring out thru axle solutions for my new haibike replacing the QRs that came with the bike. The rear axle will be replaced with robert axle's axle; they make a lot of different sizes and lengths so you'll most likely be able to find all QR replacements there including boost. (https://robertaxleproject.com/axle-finder-2/) [This is an update to Court's original post.]

For the front axle, my haibike came with a sun tour suspension which uses a proprietary QR axle; it pushes through the dropouts and uses a spring mechanism instead of just threading through the dropout like a normal TA. Well, fortunately Hexlox makes a universal TA that is compatible with sun tour qloc systems. Problem solved. (https://hexlox.com/collections/bikes-with-thru-axles/products/universal-thru-axle-hexlox-ready)

As to security, both wheels and suspension seat post secured with hexlox nuts and i can just U lock the frame to a bike stand and still have total security. And for those awful bike racks where you just put a single tire through two vertical slats (making it impossible to lock the frame directly to the rack; i'm looking at you work) i can just ulock the front tire to the bike stand. Since the front tire cannot be removed the whole bike becomes secure.

also: praise sheldon. https://lifehacker.com/the-proper-way-to-lock-your-bicycle-5942301

All hail Sheldon! His website has been invaluable to me, both in fixing up my vintage cruiser bike and replacing the rear tire on my ebike.

Re secure axles, recently I read that Abus makes one called Nutfix that uses gravity and requires the bike to be on its side to disengage. It's usually pretty hard for thieves to lay a bike on its side when it's already locked to a rack. They also make a version for quick release seat posts, which I plan on ordering (I don't have quick release wheels, only the seat).

Re "those awful bike racks". There's one behind the grocery store where I do most of my shopping. NOBODY uses it, not even the little old ladies who ride their bikes on the sidewalks. It's too easy for a thief with an angle grinder to cut through those flimsy bars on either side of the wheel. Often they're not even affixed to anything, so some thieves will even take the rack with the bike and cut it in their garage. Everyone locks their bikes to the racks where the shopping carts are stored, or a nearby sturdy metal fence. I find my heavy chain lock is invaluable when I have to be creative in finding a secure object to lock my bike to, then I can use my U lock to secure the frame to the back wheel.

I've never been comfortable with many of the new bike racks they use now. Most only use simple 9/16" screws or easy to remove nuts to remove the rack right off the ground. Look at these, they tear out of the concrete because they use such wimpy hardware to fasten them down with.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2007/06/08/cyclists-be-warned-new-city-bike-racks-may-not-be-secure/
Wow- Oh boy this is a real wake up call. All looks safe and secure until you see this kind rack pulled from concrete. I will now have second thoughts with these. Thanks for sharing!

Back