Locked/Unlocked Meanings

ExFire

Newbie here :), Reading to get some basics in preparation for receiving our new Step-Thrus.

Many posts in this blog reference "Locked" vs "Unlocked " bikes/computers/controllers.

Can someone who fully understands the meaning of these terms please explain, for those of us who don't?

Also helpful would be thoughts on why Lectric would ship/has shipped locked bikes to some customers, and
unlocked bikes to others?

Is it more desirable to have received L or U bikes, and is unlocking an L bike a wise thing to do (assuming the ability to do so)?

If so, can someone link to a trustworthy description of how to go about it?

Does anyone know which category the new StepThrus will be in?

Thanks for any response!

Locked/unlocked refers to the maximum speed the controller allows. As shipped, the bike will max out at 20mph in both pedal assist and throttle modes, and as far as I understand that's because many states have laws in which ebikes that exceed 20mph are illegal (without proper licensing) so they ship it in the configuration that will be legal most everywhere. As far as I know, both the models of the bike are shipped with a 20mph max.

You can 'unlock' the maximum speed to 28mph with pedal assist (it will still max out at 20mph on throttle) by accessing & modifying a specific controller setting and the instructions on how to do so are within the Lectric manual Table of Contents under the heading 'Changing The Top Speed' (looks to be page 26 in the most recent version). Some folks seem to want to refer to 'unlocking' the controller as if they're doing something sketchy or dangerous, but it's explicitly outlined in the manual which I think speaks to the lack of risk involved

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
That section in the manual also shows the differences between what a class 1, 2 and 3 is (for those that are curious why there's a sticker on your ebike that says class 1, 2 or 3 on it). I didn't know that if you 'unlock' your ebike and goto a class 3, you're required to remove the class 2 sticker to reveal the class 3 sticker.. Now i'm curious..has anyone actually removed the class 2 sticker? Is there really a class 3 sticker underneath? Personally, I'd like to use the class 4 sticker offered by BOLTON EBIKES

10_540x.png

Locked/unlocked refers to the maximum speed the controller allows. As shipped, the bike will max out at 20mph in both pedal assist and throttle modes, and as far as I understand that's because many states have laws in which ebikes that exceed 20mph are illegal (without proper licensing) so they ship it in the configuration that will be legal most everywhere. As far as I know, both the models of the bike are shipped with a 20mph max.

You can 'unlock' the maximum speed to 28mph with pedal assist (it will still max out at 20mph on throttle) by accessing & modifying a specific controller setting and the instructions on how to do so are within the Lectric manual Table of Contents under the heading 'Changing The Top Speed' (looks to be page 26 in the most recent version). Some folks seem to want to refer to 'unlocking' the controller as if they're doing something sketchy or dangerous, but it's explicitly outlined in the manual which I think speaks to the lack of risk involved

Hope that helps!

A post by Solarman under the topic "error codes" (link https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/lectric-xp-error-codes.34537/) contains this comment:

"It might be helpful to have a "cheat sheet" listing of all possible error codes for the XP... similar to the settings list (even though most are now locked down)."

This suggests that there is more "locked down", than speed limitation, ...if so can/cannot these other "locked down" settings be "unlocked"?

Hope that helps!
I’m interested in this. Where does one find the “Lectric manual Table of Contents”? Thanks.

You can access the online manual from Lectric's website. When you're at the main website, click on "THE BIKES" at the top. Then select either of the current models (xp or xp step-thru). Then scroll to the bottom until you see Lectric XP User Manual. Click it and you'll be able to view the online version of the manual. The table of contents is on page 2.

Question...does the increase of the top speed from 20mph (factory setting) to 28 mph change how the PAS settings control speed? Example...in "stock form" PAS 1 will top out at approximately 8mph, PAS 2 tops out at around 12mph..and so on. Other than PAS 5...does the 28mph influence PAS?

A "locked down" controller can possibly have a LOT more parameters locked down other than just the upper limit regarding speed.

It's not until you get into the controllers where the programming is MUCH more customizable that you realize that. Things like maximum amperage allowed to the motor, PAS programming (a huge deal), low voltage cut off, are just some of what's available.

Each OEM is different. Some have absolutely terrible programming with very little thought placed on what they release (common on the least expensive bikes). Others leave a lot of this "unlocked" allowing you to set it to your hearts desire. Aftermarket controllers are available that can leave a rookie totally befuddled!

Point being, "unlocked", to a certain degree anyway, is generally thought of as a good thing....

Just unlocked my XP after 300 miles. Did a trial run. Reached 28 in PAS 5 pedaling pretty hard. Reached 21.6 throttle only. That is all...

Back