List of bikes with Powertube 500 vertical for gravel

That makes sense! Is your current PowerTube a 400/500, or 625 Wh?

What is the make/model of your current eBike? Sometimes, there are some subtle differences in the way that different OEMs integrate Bosch batteries, so we'd want to be aware of that in the search.

On a similar note, I have a Cannondale Synapse AL2 (500 Wh) and a Trek Allant+ 8s (625 Wh). Can I share the batteries between the two?

On a similar note, I have a Cannondale Synapse AL2 (500 Wh) and a Trek Allant+ 8s (625 Wh). Can I share the batteries between the two?
Unfortunately, not even close. ☹

Cannondale uses the Horizontal variant of the PowerTube, and I believe (but not certain) that the frame cavity is only sized for a 400/500 Wh PT. They use the standard Bosch mounting system. To my knowledge, all companies except for Trek/Electra use the Bosch mounting setup.

Trek uses their very own proprietary PowerTube mounting system that they call RIB. It is a really cool design, but works a bit differently than the Bosch mounting system. RIB design involves adding Trek proprietary endcaps to a Vertical PowerTube battery, and then mounting it into the side of the downtube, so that the chassis of the battery is actually oriented as if it were a Horizontal PT.

I'm wanting Powertube 500 compatible vertical, like xduro haibike uses but I want it on a gravel bike.
It is proving tough to track this info down. It seems that the few gravel eBikes on the market with Bosch Systems and PowerTube are Horizontal mount. I've asked the rest of my tech team if they know of anything. I'll report back if they give me something good.

In the meantime, here is a link to the different brands that use Bosch, in case you are unfamiliar with it:

Bosch-equipped eBike brands

Keep in mind... some models may not be available in certain regions.

I think the 625 is definitely longer than the 500. I wanted to get a 625 as a spare for my Allant+7 but was told by Trek it was too long.

I think the 625 is definitely longer than the 500. I wanted to get a 625 as a spare for my Allant+7 but was told by Trek it was too long.
You are correct- the 625 Wh PowerTube is 2.7" longer than the 400/500 Wh PowerTubes.

As far as your Allant+... there may be more to the story. While 625 and 500 PTs are absolutely different lengths, some OEMs design their eBikes to work with both sizes (with a few modifications.) I need to confirm this, but I think that Allant+ frames are designed for the 625 Wh PowerTube, and they just install a custom Trek spacer on the 400/500 size to fit the 625 spacing. Lower sped'd models ship with a 400 or 500 and a spacer, higher spec'd models ship with a 625. Though I'm not 100% on this, the Trek website seems to confirm this when looking at component spec on the different models.

Can you post a picture of your Allant+ 7 PowerTube battery? Looking for the view of the battery side, not the "TREK" design cover.

Like so? I’m not seeing an additional 2.7” spacer but IDK.
CB701860-278E-4146-96DE-57FDA3400E25.jpeg

Bingo! The Trek proprietary spacer is to the right... it's that piece that appears to match the aluminum extrusion, but looks and feels different.

Keep in mind RIB requires the special endcaps shown on your battery here, as well as the plastic design cover, but a spare PowerTube 625 should drop right in.

Hmm. So I order that from Trek or Bosch? Does it require the outer “Trek” decorative cover? Will the 625 charge with my standard Bosch charger?

I strongly recommend that you have your local Trek shop confirm this as it is a bit of $$$. You will need:

(1) Bosch PowerTube 625 VERTICAL [QBP, via your local shop]

(1) Trek RIB battery design cover (size and color specific to your eBike model). [Trek]

(1)* set of RIB endcaps. I'm not sure if these are sold individually, or as a set. [Trek]

Your existing Bosch charger should work fine with the larger capacity battery. Keep in mind it will take longer to charge.

Unfortunately, not even close. ☹

Cannondale uses the Horizontal variant of the PowerTube, and I believe (but not certain) that the frame cavity is only sized for a 400/500 Wh PT. They use the standard Bosch mounting system. To my knowledge, all companies except for Trek/Electra use the Bosch mounting setup.

Trek uses their very own proprietary PowerTube mounting system that they call RIB. It is a really cool design, but works a bit differently than the Bosch mounting system. RIB design involves adding Trek proprietary endcaps to a Vertical PowerTube battery, and then mounting it into the side of the downtube, so that the chassis of the battery is actually oriented as if it were a Horizontal PT.
So for Trek is it vertical or horizontal mounting? Do you know what the mounting is on the Domane+ HP? I ordered one and while it is shipping, I would like to buy a extra battery vs getting the range extender!

So for Trek is it vertical or horizontal mounting? Do you know what the mounting is on the Domane+ HP? I ordered one and while it is shipping, I would like to buy a extra battery vs getting the range extender!
I believe it’s horizontal for my Allant+7. Why in the hell they make both horizontal and vertical, I’ll never understand!

I believe it’s horizontal for my Allant+7. Why in the hell they make both horizontal and vertical, I’ll never understand!
Just talked to the Trek customer service and found out it is vertical! And if your Allant battery bay is the same size as the Domane then it can take the 625w. I am so grateful I looked at this thread! Was going to buy the Extender with the 500w but the 625w was cheaper!

Back