How much are you willing to pay for an electric bike that weights under 35 lbs (15.8 kg) ?

• $1000 - $15000

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • $1500 - $2000

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • $2000 - $3000

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Above $3000

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters
Deacon I'm with you, I'd love to see a 32 km/hr. top end for NA, especially since they have the option for a 2nd battery.

I'm with you on the N+1 bikes as well. I have bought 2 bikes in the last 8 months so it will be a hard sell for me to get another bike. I was able to buy the latest (Rocky Mountain Altitude Alloy 50) because my wife didn't want our son riding on his own. My last MTB was stolen when I lent it to my brother, so I HAD to buy another bike if she wanted me to go with him. Absent that, I likely would not have been allowed to buy another bike.

btw - Congrats on the Defy, that's a nice bike!

That Orbea is very interesting and the bike I've been wanting to get. I traded emails with them and it led me to believe the bike wouldn't be available in North America until 2019.

Deacon, do you know where the Orbea Gain is available in North America.

The Orbea website is certainly . . . special. Heavy on marketing cuteness, but light on facts. I couldn't stand watching the videos. The 20" wheeled bike with the large, stout basket looked nice. The website and video? A little heavy on 'urban hipster'.

Speed: as Einstein said, there is more to life than increasing its speed. The modern bicycle is the most efficient form of transportation for energy input. But if you crave speed you are negating the simplicity of that equation. I rode my old road bike for 26 miles today while my e-bike is getting fixed. I had no problem doing this just by accepting a lower speed than other people on the same ride. The reason I can't use this bike all the time is, it cannot easily carry cargo. Not only does it take more mass (racks and such) to carry the cargo, the bicycle becomes less stable. The other reason is that hills are more daunting at my age. I welcome carbon fiber and such. But the bottom line is the more speed you crave from your ebike, the further along the continuum away from bicycles and closer to a motorcycle. And motorcycles have nothing more going for them than increased speed, which gives some ability to escape getting smashed from behind. But it opens many possibilities for grave injuries in the event of mishap. That lamppost you somehow ended up colliding with is going to become all the more unpleasant at 25 mph.

I think you have to look at the total equation, in terms of price, reliability, and utility. If there is one long straightaway on your daily commute that is on a bike path, generally free from ice, and other riders doing stupid things, and you have the self-control to only use top speed in this situation, it might make sense to get an e-bike with a high top speed potential. Carbon fiber, you have to look at the theft potential. Any kind of e-bike could be the right choice if you realistically weigh all the factors and get the right answer. The one I have is lightweight, can carry cargo, and I have been able to ride it on a 350 mile trip alone. It is very stable due to wide 26 in. wheels which only work because I am not a too tall rider. Its downside is that I actually had to send the motor back to China for repair. But there is currently no other package that will do what this bike can do, that satisfies all the terms of my personal equation.

Last edited:
I have a Trek 700+. It weighs close to 50 pounds and uses a Bosh mid drive motor. After 4,000 miles I have the sense that it will last a long time. Although I'm happy with this bike a lighter weight would be great! It is hard to put the Trek 700+ on a bike rack or lift it on to a truck bed. The bike is built with a focus on maximum strength. I also have a non-electric Madone that weighs 17 pounds. Given the weight of the battery and motor it is clear that Trek put a lot of weight into specking an indestructible frame and set of wheels. I think they could easily knock 10 pounds off the bike and still have a very strong safety factor, especially when it is used on city streets and country roads.

BMC AMP did it for me. 32 lbs if I recall correctly. Out the bike shop for at $4114. About the weight of the 2006 Specialized SJ Pro MTB - I used to own. That I upgraded to a Devinci Django carbon... being a mid drive bike, with the weight of the battery in the seat tube - the AlpenChallenge actually rides and handles like a good road / Cross bike. This bike I something like 10 - 12 pounds heavier than my alloy Kona Jake athe Snake. If we talked a Jake with panniers p, it might even be lighter... the Jake is a 2x9 of course and has a Long cage derailleur with an MYB cluster - it will climb anything...

Riding the BMC in the hills around Hood River, Oregon, it is a treat to ride as it handles the twistis beautifully.

My only criticisms of the BMC are - no mounting points for racks and I kinda wish it had a 2 x front derailleur - just in case...

Just read Bikeradar's road test of the BMC AMP. I've seen photos of this bike before and my first thought was that I didn't like the location of the battery. It still wouldn't be my first location choice, but the more I look at the photo of the LTD model the more I like it.

I feel for all of you that have a 26kph motor cut-out . Here in Canada the limit is a more usable 32kph. For most of my riding a 32kph limit works fine, but 40kph would be even nicer.

My Pedego Ridgerider mountain bike has a (modified) 40kph limit which I don't use that often, but it is nice, every now and then, to be able to cruise along at 38kph. :)

Putting the battery in line with rider weight makes sense to me. I demoed a couple of ‘sport’ e-bikes with the battery on the down tube and they felt odd when charging downhill into hairpins. There was a noticeable and not confidence inspiring tipping point. Felt, I’m lookin at you...

I may be coming at this from a different place. I injured my back a while ago. Can’t ride laid out on my Cervelo; have to avoid the abrupt shock of serious single track. My wife suggested I get an e-bike to get out, clock some miles and get the cardio/fitness I need. For me the criteria began with familiar handling. I ride mostly in eco mode or off. I hit Norm once in a while when I’m flagged. I’m stoked to get out and clock some miles and get a workout.

Ride1up has a new lightweight bike less than 35 lbs for $995. You do sacrifice some things for light weight. I think it is a 350 w/500w peak geared hub motor. Top speed approx 24 mph. battery in the tube. Single speed I think. It is light and does not look like an e bike. Not for me but it is light.

After spending a week with the Sport, I really think I prefer a lighter ebike even at the expense of power as I don't use the PAS that much.

So that would mean it should have sufficient gearing... at least 7 speeds and maybe a 2x if possible. But as always, keeping it value priced.

The only ones I see are the Biktrix Swift Lite and the Propella 3.4. The Ride1up would be great if not for the single speed.

So any other lightweight ebikes that can handle heavier riders?

The one I've seen recommended is the Specialized Vado SL but that's a $3350 bike. Anything in the $1500ish range?

I believe weight is a big issue when it comes to electric bikes. There are a few under 40 lbs eBikes in the industry, however they are very expensive!

At Propella we are excited to release our new eBike model that weighs under 35 lbs (15.8 kg) using Panasonic High-Density Li-ion cells, with alloy frame and components.

Please visit our blog for updates: http://www.propellabikes.com/blog

And sign up to stay tuned on the release date: http://www.propellabikes.com

Thanks,
Ben

Ben, welcome to EBR. Here is a recent Propella 3.0 review from Court.

Summary
  • A handsome and sleek yet agile, lightweight, and affordable road ebike continually upgraded and revised via Propella’s crowd funding campaign
  • Reliable Bafang 250 watt hub-drive with 7 speed Shimano Altus system and Shimano Tourney TX 160mm rotor mechanical disc brakes
  • Features a revised battery housing and mounting system from previous versions as well as a newer front fork and head tube with sealed cartridge bearings
  • Built more for active riders so comfort is not abundant, battery is on the smaller side, for these reasons, you may not want to use it for a super long distance trip
Pros:
  • Quite a looker, there as a lot of attention to detail aesthetically and it pays off, I love the blue matching accents and even the anodized coating on the rims and grips uses that same blue to keep it looking sharp
  • I found it to be a lot of fun to ride, it felt agile and nimble right from the get go, and I love how quick it seemed to pick up when I engaged the pedal assist
  • Continually upgraded, for the 3.0 you get a better battery casing with a little touch screen readout, more secure battery mounting system, a wider front fork, and even an upgraded head-tube
  • Very lightweight and affordable, the smaller battery, efficient road tires, and frame keep the weight down to just 38.2lbs, not bad for an ebike at all, and the cost is $1,299
Cons:
  • Since it has a rigid fork, flat grips, and active saddle, you can tell this isn’t a cruiser bike and may not be comfortable for long distances,
  • those looking for a lot of comfort may want to add a suspension seat post or look at other offerings
  • I noticed that coating on the chain was flaking off like paint, so it is likely not a real rust resistant coating but rather painted for looks
  • The overall battery capacity is on the smaller side, but given the bikes active purpose, I don’t think it is that big of a deal, the smaller battery helps keep the overall weight down as well, so it has that going for it as well

Last edited:
So any other lightweight ebikes that can handle heavier riders?

The one I've seen recommended is the Specialized Vado SL but that's a $3350 bike. Anything in the $1500ish range?

Yes, BD has a new Mulekick EBike that weighs only 33-35 lbs with assist up to 28 mph for $1,999. ;)

1599947115467.png

Attachments

• 1599947098568.png
    1599947098568.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 351
Yes, I listed the Propella above. Sold out and not sure what the max rider weight is.

The closest I found I think is the Charge City is $1499... still a bit heavy at 45lbs but it can handle max 300lbs rider and is actually in stock and shipping... I like that it's almost fully built except putting on the front tire and that the handlebars and pedals are foldable for easier storage. Dorel group so cousin to Cannondale/Schwinn et al if that means anything.

Maybe if I wait a few more months, someone will release something. :)

Last edited:
Yes, BD has a new Mulekick EBike that weighs only 33-35 lbs with assist up to 28 mph for $1,999. ;)

View attachment 65196
Now this is a sweet bike in a class 3 for the $$$ indeed. Makes me want to swap out my commuter for this one. One of my other dream bikes is lightweight with a speed motor Looks like it checks all the boxes. Nice find!

Edit: Darn-Too large for me.
eMulekick Sizing Guide
52cm - 5'7" to 5'9"
55cm - 5'9" to 5'11"
58cm - 6' to 6'2"
61cm - 6'3" to 6'8"

Last edited:
@FlatSix911 Tried to email BD... they don't list rider weight capacity for their bikes.

The MuleKick is sold out, the Elite Adventure 29er ships in September but no weight listing (says similar in weight to other bikes so around 55lbs?):

Thanks for the update on the MuleKick.

The Elite 29er has a Hydroformed Aluminum frame so I would guess closer to 50lbs.

1600137570946.png

Now this is a sweet bike in a class 3 for the $$$ indeed. Makes me want to swap out my commuter for this one.

One of my other dream bikes is lightweight with a speed motor Looks like it checks all the boxes. Nice find!

I agree it's a great deal and I'm thinking about ordering one... there's a Drop Bar 61cm frame in stock, a bit large but it might fit. ;)

1600137913322.png

Back