Let's see your best pic of your electric bicycle

Christmas project.
right side.jpg

That was taken a couple of weeks ago at the Sonoran Desert Preserve in far north Phoenix.
20160913_130611 (640x360).jpg
Above is another of my favorite trails, Goldwater Lake in Prescott.

May is a fantastic time to go to Sedona, and although I haven't yet emtb ridden, I've hiked and dualsport motorcycled rode there and it is great. I'm sure there are excellent mountain bike trails, and places to rent a regular bike if you don't bring your own. There are probably others on this forum that may have some specific local knowledge about Sedona, and I'm sure there is plenty on the web. I've been using the app TrailForks to find trails in my areas.

Visiting Sedona in May. Any good bike trails in Sedona?

I took my Radrover to the Grand Canyon and Sedona during the week of Veterans day holiday in Nov/2016. It would be worth a day trip to the Grand Canyon if you have the time. It shouldn't cost you more than gas and lunch for a full day of riding if you have a hotel in Sedona or Flagstaff.

Grand Canyon:
There is a paved 6.5 mile trail starting from north end of the town of Tusayan near the south gate (past the IMAX theater and take a left turn at traffic circle heading out of town) to the Tusayan Greenway trail. The good thing about taking the bike trail is you don't have to pay the $30 for the 7 day pass if you drove your car into the park. The wife and I rode near Mather point and the bike path heads right (or east) to allow bikes (no bikes allowed in main visitor lookout area near rim). We rode to South Kaibab Trailhead, turned around at Yaki Point, and head back down the Tusayan trail for about 25 miles of bike riding that day. The next day, we took the same path to the rim; but, turned left (or west) to bike down the Hermit Road Greenway Trail. We didn't like this trail as much because bikes are only allowed on the paved waking trails near the rim for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the 3 mile length. We had to share the road with large tourist buses (no views) and could only stop at crowded tourist lookout points at the rim edge. Still nice to take to see a different vantage point of the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon link: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm

Sedona:
We headed off to Sedona for the weekend to ride the dirt trails around town. We did 9 mile round trip Bell Rock trail south of town first thing in the morning (+75 degrees expected by lunch in Nov). It was an easy-moderate trail ride with spectacular views. Unfortunately, MTB "purist" felt the need to stop and chat to let us know ebikes are not allowed on any trails in Sedona designated to walking/hiking/MTB riding. The only trails for ebike use are the ones where motorized vehicles are allowed (motorcycles, 4-wheelers, off road trucks, etc...). We were already 90% done riding by the time the "intervention" happened and the trail was starting to get extremely crowded right before lunch (Holiday weekend).

I was loading up the Radrovers in the parking lot and I overheard the same guy complaining to other MTB riders my "motorized" ebike on the trail. I'm pretty sure he would have tracked down a park ranger if one was available to voice his concerns. I wouldn't feel safe riding the same trails as motorcycle/4-wheelers because I would be a hazard at my 10-14 mph trail cruising speeds compared to them going 40-50 mph.

Bell Rock link: http://www.sedonahikingtrails.com/bell-rock_courthouse-butte_loop.htm

If there is a next time, the wife and I were thinking about doing one of the guided ebike tours around town. We could see more and learn the do's/don't of ebike riding in Sedona. You can rent from them or ride your own ebike for the tour.

Sedona ebike Tours: https://ebikesedona.com/

I took my Radrover to the Grand Canyon and Sedona during the week of Veterans day holiday in Nov/2016. It would be worth a day trip to the Grand Canyon if you have the time. It shouldn't cost you more than gas and lunch for a full day of riding if you have a hotel in Sedona or Flagstaff.

Thank you very much mrgold35 for the very detailed information. I will certainly check the links that you provided. Our trip will most likely include a visit to a friend's place in Dewey but I'm not sure just yet how long we will stay. We are still in the planning stages of the trip (which will also include Nevada) but I really appreciate the effort in putting these links together. I'm really glad I joined this forum precisely because of the resources and advice offered, just like yours. Much appreciated!

Grand Canyon:
There is a paved 6.5 mile trail starting from north end of the town of Tusayan near the south gate (past the IMAX theater and take a left turn at traffic circle heading out of town) to the Tusayan Greenway trail. The good thing about taking the bike trail is you don't have to pay the $30 for the 7 day pass if you drove your car into the park. The wife and I rode near Mather point and the bike path heads right (or east) to allow bikes (no bikes allowed in main visitor lookout area near rim). We rode to South Kaibab Trailhead, turned around at Yaki Point, and head back down the Tusayan trail for about 25 miles of bike riding that day. The next day, we took the same path to the rim; but, turned left (or west) to bike down the Hermit Road Greenway Trail. We didn't like this trail as much because bikes are only allowed on the paved waking trails near the rim for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the 3 mile length. We had to share the road with large tourist buses (no views) and could only stop at crowded tourist lookout points at the rim edge. Still nice to take to see a different vantage point of the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon link: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm

Sedona:
We headed off to Sedona for the weekend to ride the dirt trails around town. We did 9 mile round trip Bell Rock trail south of town first thing in the morning (+75 degrees expected by lunch in Nov). It was an easy-moderate trail ride with spectacular views. Unfortunately, MTB "purist" felt the need to stop and chat to let us know ebikes are not allowed on any trails in Sedona designated to walking/hiking/MTB riding. The only trails for ebike use are the ones where motorized vehicles are allowed (motorcycles, 4-wheelers, off road trucks, etc...). We were already 90% done riding by the time the "intervention" happened and the trail was starting to get extremely crowded right before lunch (Holiday weekend).

I was loading up the Radrovers in the parking lot and I overheard the same guy complaining to other MTB riders my "motorized" ebike on the trail. I'm pretty sure he would have tracked down a park ranger if one was available to voice his concerns. I wouldn't feel safe riding the same trails as motorcycle/4-wheelers because I would be a hazard at my 10-14 mph trail cruising speeds compared to them going 40-50 mph.

Bell Rock link: http://www.sedonahikingtrails.com/bell-rock_courthouse-butte_loop.htm

If there is a next time, the wife and I were thinking about doing one of the guided ebike tours around town. We could see more and learn the do's/don't of ebike riding in Sedona. You can rent from them or ride your own ebike for the tour.

Sedona ebike Tours: https://ebikesedona.com/

I took my Radrover to the Grand Canyon and Sedona during the week of Veterans day holiday in Nov/2016.

MrGold35,
Sad to hear that Sedona is so anti-ebike on the trails. Surprised as well since I've found AZ to allow a lot more freedoms than other States I've lived in such as OR & CA. I've done a lot of off-road M/C & RZR riding and there are lots of places open. You can even register a dirt bike & side-by-side to drive on the streets (provided you have the basic equipment (horn, mirror, brakelight, etc.). It is probably a City of Sedona thing as tourism is huge and they probably did the typical bureaucratic over reaction. I'm still going up there this spring when it warms up a little and check things out for myself. I'm not afraid of getting stopped or even a citation if that what it comes to.

We got a forecast 4" snow storm that turned in to a 12" dump. Had to try it and it worked quite well actually. The main road was only plowed one car wide but I live in a park like setting and was able to have fun enough within its boundaries.

unnamed-4.jpg

The bottom pics are stills from my go pro. The right hand one was virgin snow and I was making good headway until my drivetrain started to skip because it was packing up with snow. The front wheel alone was not enough to go much further but when both wheels were working together I didn't have any problem. Who says you need a fat bike to go in the snow when you have AWD?

Edit: Got my GoPro footage downloaded today:

Last edited:
MrGold35,
Sad to hear that Sedona is so anti-ebike on the trails. Surprised as well since I've found AZ to allow a lot more freedoms than other States I've lived in such as OR & CA. I've done a lot of off-road M/C & RZR riding and there are lots of places open. You can even register a dirt bike & side-by-side to drive on the streets (provided you have the basic equipment (horn, mirror, brakelight, etc.). It is probably a City of Sedona thing as tourism is huge and they probably did the typical bureaucratic over reaction. I'm still going up there this spring when it warms up a little and check things out for myself. I'm not afraid of getting stopped or even a citation if that what it comes to.

I did a little digging. You're right, the Arizona laws are quite favorable for ebikes. It looks like the trail @mrgold35 was on is US forest land though, and from everything I've seen posted over at the mtbr ebike sub forum the US forest service doesn't allow electric bikes on its trails.

Back