Let's design an inexpensive work stand for the XP

Here is what I came up with based on ideas I’ve seen here and elsewhere.

I have the original seat post that was replaced by a suspension post. I used a 1” pipe flange and 6” pipe nipple that is bolted to my hydraulic lift cart. I had to grind down a fre high spots on the pipe nipple so it would fit smoothly in the seat post tub.

Now I can mount the bike upright or upside down and use the hydraulic lift to raise and lower it.

1375886A-D9B6-4A7E-8420-77302ED6EB9C.jpeg
71E09218-6629-4BDB-9660-3056F6107EA9.jpeg
7EA33A34-9C25-4A17-81E2-A37DBF482249.jpeg

Attachments

• 15915B25-0802-4598-9995-12973F6FE119.jpeg
    15915B25-0802-4598-9995-12973F6FE119.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 361
  • 495BC100-5FC1-47C3-8D4F-1130EA01DA89.jpeg
    495BC100-5FC1-47C3-8D4F-1130EA01DA89.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 361
  • C19CE025-0952-4053-847E-3BF3EC2B15CA.jpeg
    C19CE025-0952-4053-847E-3BF3EC2B15CA.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 349
You guys are all so cleaver with DIY stands but I was thinking about going more conventional. I have the Lectric XP that I would like to work on plus two mountain bikes and two hybrid road bikes; two are my wife and two are mine plus the XP is mine.

So it would be nice to have a work stand that works on all of them. I found a youtube video on 5 best bike stands for 2020 and the top pick is the Yaheetech on Amazon for $80 and supports up to 66 lbs.

This seems like a good choice for me? What do you think? For $80 I think that I will try it and report back.

John

You guys are all so cleaver with DIY stands but I was thinking about going more conventional. I have the Lectric XP that I would like to work on plus two mountain bikes and two hybrid road bikes; two are my wife and two are mine plus the XP is mine.

So it would be nice to have a work stand that works on all of them. I found a youtube video on 5 best bike stands for 2020 and the top pick is the Yaheetech on Amazon for $80 and supports up to 66 lbs.

This seems like a good choice for me? What do you think? For $80 I think that I will try it and report back.

John
I just ordered it. I will advise.

The YaheeTech workstand arrived from Amazon today. I was searching for a stand in my post above on Aug 13 that would support my XP as well as our other non electric bikes. I think that this one will work well for $80. It supports up to 66 lbs so I removed the battery just to make the XP easier to mount. I am able to support the entire bike to run through the gears and adjust the brakes. However I think that for wheel removal I will position the stand to allow the wheel that I am not working on to be supported by the ground to improve stability. Overall I think that the Yaheetech workstand is a well engineered and built product and i am pleased with my purchase. Photos are attached.
IMG_0488 (1).jpg
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg

It's great to present an idea to the forum and see members creativity and engineering skills in action! AKJUDGE solved a problem I would have, lifting the bike! I would love to see a design like Darceman's or similar that would incorporate an hydraulic lift! Come on all you engineering marvels. Start the gears moving, scratch your head a few times and show us what you got

The YaheeTech workstand arrived from Amazon today. I was searching for a stand in my post above on Aug 13 that would support my XP as well as our other non electric bikes. I think that this one will work well for $80. It supports up to 66 lbs so I removed the battery just to make the XP easier to mount. I am able to support the entire bike to run through the gears and adjust the brakes. However I think that for wheel removal I will position the stand to allow the wheel that I am not working on to be supported by the ground to improve stability. Overall I think that the Yaheetech workstand is a well engineered and built product and i am pleased with my purchase. Photos are attached.View attachment 62843View attachment 62844View attachment 62845

Mine just arrived today. I just assembled it in the living room. What I noticed different from Johns is where John has knobs to turn, Mine has 1 knob and the rest of the connections are quick release clamps including the arm that connects to the bike. Its too hot in the garage to do a test run and it's close to my nap time!

Was kicking around an idea. Maybe something like the attached image. Would be cool to make an attachment that can be taken on and off of a regular car hydraulic jack. Any thoughts?

jack idea.jpg

My only thoughts are; Eureka! Great idea Azraelnite. By George, I think you’ve got it!!!
EBR forum members rule!

Was kicking around an idea. Maybe something like the attached image. Would be cool to make an attachment that can be taken on and off of a regular car hydraulic jack. Any thoughts?

View attachment 63108
I mean seriously...what good is a conventional bike stand when you have a 63# bike to lift at least a foot or more off the ground BEFORE you actually clamp it to the stand? There are ways but it ain't easy. This idea is something that makes so much sense. You can buy one of those cheap harbor freight floor jacks for very little money under $50 or buy a used one off Craig's List. Lots of guys are buying new seat posts so I would use the original seat post for the vertical pipe. Just need a way to secure it to the jack.

Is the post on the floor jack Idea short enough that you can position it under the seat post tube without having to lift the bike by hand? That would be an advantage over my Yaheetech stand but I still like the idea of having one work-stand that works for all my bikes. I just don't have a lot of space in my two car garage to store "extra stuff". John GIMG_0488 (1).jpg

I'm actually thinking of designing a lift that I can use in my SUV to raise and lower a fold bike to transport. these bikes are too heavy for my 62 y.o. bad back. If anyone has designed something, please post.

In my garden shed/tool room/man cave I have an open ceiling so I just use two ratchet straps to hang a bike from the trusses. I also have a bike stand but I find that I don't use it for the XP because of the rectangular frame and even though the label claims that the stand is strong enough to hold the weight I don't feel very comfortable putting so much stress on the stand. I'm still looking for a patio cover anchor post thing but will be trying some temporary way to use the floor jack idea until I find a patio stand. I really don't need any other way to work on the bike other than hanging it from the rafters or using the tripod handlebar stand but it's fun to try new things.

The YaheeTech workstand arrived from Amazon today. I was searching for a stand in my post above on Aug 13 that would support my XP as well as our other non electric bikes. I think that this one will work well for $80. It supports up to 66 lbs so I removed the battery just to make the XP easier to mount. I am able to support the entire bike to run through the gears and adjust the brakes. However I think that for wheel removal I will position the stand to allow the wheel that I am not working on to be supported by the ground to improve stability. Overall I think that the Yaheetech workstand is a well engineered and built product and i am pleased with my purchase. Photos are attached.View attachment 62843View attachment 62844View attachment 62845

Nice! Couple questions:

1. Is the seatpost the only viable attachment point to the bike stand?

2. Do you actually have enough clearance in that position to run the pedals?

Nice! Couple questions:

1. Is the seatpost the only viable attachment point to the bike stand?

2. Do you actually have enough clearance in that position to run the pedals?

Starman,

The Yaheetech has enough clearance to pedal. In fact I was just doing that today on the XP to adjust the derailer. I did fold the inside pedal to add more clearance but this was not really necessary. This is my first bike workstand and I am loving it. I have been using it on my other bikes to change flats and clean and adjust. I did not know what I was missing before I got it.

Also, It looks to me like the handle stem is a viable attach point to work on the front wheel but I have not needed to do that yet. The stand will support the entire bike off the ground.

Back