Lectric XP

Okay, as promised here's my method for taking off the rear tire. I flipped the bike upside down and rested the back end on a tote and the front handlebars on some foam blocks to keep the shifter and stuff off the ground View attachment 38532.

Shift your bike to its highest gear so the chain is on the smallest ring. I assume you know to unplug your motor (cut any cable ties) and loosen the nuts at the wheel. There's a captive washer that needs to be unbolted too. I also unscrew one retaining screw from the brakes to pull them away from the rotor.

the next thing to do is throw away your derailleur guard View attachment 38535 and mallet View attachment 38533.

The tool we're going to use to pop the wheel off is a channel lock type wrenchView attachment 38534. But we're going to use it as a pry bar. A big pliers would work too. Open it like a T View attachment 38536. Place a rag on your frame to prevent scratching View attachment 38537.

Put the smaller end of the Jaws on the rag, and the larger end under the nut View attachment 38538. Pushing down on the handle with your right hand will pivot the large jaw up and pop the nut out of the slot. View attachment 38539.

The rest you should be able to figure out from here. Putting it back together, I used a flat pry bar to spread the frame. When plugging in your motor, align the arrows before plugging in View attachment 38540.
I would not throw away that derailleur guard, my cousin stopped short on me the other day and I had to stop so fast I lost my balance slightly and laid the bike down, very easily, but there happen to be a rock right where my bike was going down on and if the derailleur guard was not there it would have been a lot worse, it bent the guard up against the derailleur but I was able to bent it out by hand and continue on with my ride.

Just curious, has any body else order an extra battery and not have it sent yet? Just noticed today they are sold out of them now, I ordered mine about a month ago.

Okay, as promised here's my method for taking off the rear tire. I flipped the bike upside down and rested the back end on a tote and the front handlebars on some foam blocks to keep the shifter and stuff off the ground View attachment 38532.

Shift your bike to its highest gear so the chain is on the smallest ring. I assume you know to unplug your motor (cut any cable ties) and loosen the nuts at the wheel. There's a captive washer that needs to be unbolted too. I also unscrew one retaining screw from the brakes to pull them away from the rotor.

the next thing to do is throw away your derailleur guard View attachment 38535 and mallet View attachment 38533.

The tool we're going to use to pop the wheel off is a channel lock type wrenchView attachment 38534. But we're going to use it as a pry bar. A big pliers would work too. Open it like a T View attachment 38536. Place a rag on your frame to prevent scratching View attachment 38537.

Put the smaller end of the Jaws on the rag, and the larger end under the nut View attachment 38538. Pushing down on the handle with your right hand will pivot the large jaw up and pop the nut out of the slot. View attachment 38539.

The rest you should be able to figure out from here. Putting it back together, I used a flat pry bar to spread the frame. When plugging in your motor, align the arrows before plugging in View attachment 38540.
Awesome! Thank you!! Love the pictures... very well done.

Why would you have to pry it out? Don't put it back that way move the washers so it fits.
I would not throw away that derailleur guard, my cousin stopped short on me the other day and I had to stop so fast I lost my balance slightly and laid the bike down, very easily, but there happen to be a rock right where my bike was going down on and if the derailleur guard was not there it would have been a lot worse, it bent the guard up against the derailleur but I was able to bent it out by hand and continue on with my ride.
Makes absolutely no sense to get rid of the deraileur. It serves a purpose and causes no problems. "If not bent" 🥴

Why would you have to pry it out? Don't put it back that way move the washers so it fits.
I thought about doing that, and I'll probably do that in the future, but that would put the frame in a different position buy about 1/8 inch on each side and I'd have to adjust the brake and derailleur to compensate. Granted, I would only have to do it once, but I chose the lazy route this time. Either way, you have to pry it out the first time and I dont like reading that people are using mallets on the motor wheel. And that was my reason for posting this method.

Makes absolutely no sense to get rid of the deraileur. It serves a purpose and causes no problems. "If not bent" 🥴
True, I probably shouldn't have advocated throwing it out. I did it because it just looks like training wheels to me, and it's really hard to remove the nut on that side with a large crescent wrench while that's in place. If you use a socket or box wrench, then no problem.

I've never had one on a bike and never bent a derailleur, even after many crashes. I'm sure the day will come when I wish I hadn't hucked it.

True, I probably shouldn't have advocated throwing it out. I did it because it just looks like training wheels to me, and it's really hard to remove the nut on that side with a large crescent wrench while that's in place. If you use a socket or box wrench, then no problem.

I've never had one on a bike and never bent a derailleur, even after many crashes. I'm sure the day will come when I wish I hadn't hucked it.
I actually found one that's the exact color of the blue trim on the bike.. I ordered it.. I guess I'm getting weird in my "older"age 👴 that and I have every tool known to man so it doesn't cause a problem that way 🔧🔩🔗🛠

Thanks for the write up, with pictures.
That "captive washer" is probably a torque arm to help prevent the motor from twisting in the frame.
I dont think so. That's the purpose of the washers with the tabs that everyone is having trouble with. This washer is not "slotted" to the axle so wouldn't function as a torque arm. I believe it's there to act as "lawyer lips" (look it up). Bikes usually have tabs on the frame dropouts that prevent the wheel from coming out if loose. Especially needed with Disc brakes. Ours doesn't. If you look at the front wheel, there are washers on each side with little tabs that fit into holes in the fork dropouts for the same reason.

Yeah but how many of your bikes did you crash with a power cord leading to a motor right next to your derailleur?

Just did a test load of the bike into the back of the truck. The derailleur guard bent instantly. For my situation, it is a must have. I will make extra padding for the handlebar and load it derailleur side up next time.

Just did a test load of the bike into the back of the truck. The derailleur guard bent instantly. For my situation, it is a must have. I will make extra padding for the handlebar and load it derailleur side up next time.
Another very good reason for keeping the guard on the derailleur, transportation, besides what happened to me with the bike falling over. Keep the guard on if you value that bike.

Good article. I am a firm believer in rule #1 😂 Don't go there.

This is my favorite theft solution.

1568834542193.jpeg

I dont think so. That's the purpose of the washers with the tabs that everyone is having trouble with. This washer is not "slotted" to the axle so wouldn't function as a torque arm. I believe it's there to act as "lawyer lips" (look it up). Bikes usually have tabs on the frame dropouts that prevent the wheel from coming out if loose. Especially needed with Disc brakes. Ours doesn't. If you look at the front wheel, there are washers on each side with little tabs that fit into holes in the fork dropouts for the same reason.
interesting.

It is not really a guard.
If you slide the bike in the back of a truck it sure is. I would have damaged the derailleur today if I did not have the guard. That would have been the pits to drive 100 miles to a trail head to arrive with a damaged derailleur instead of a bent guard that I was able to fix in 5 seconds by hand. It worked so well I am going to order a spare in case this one breaks or becomes weak from bending.

Back