Lectric XP

A cheap lock or a cable offers no deterrence to a thief. You're having lunch somewhere and before you can get out the door and shout at the guy your bike is being loaded in the back of a truck. Goodbye.

With a good lock, average size boltcutters are useless and with the honking steel they use and tricks like hex shaped shackles the thief has to make 2 cuts, he can't make 1 cut and rotate the shackle to free the lock. So now he's going through a couple of cutting wheels and batteries. That's a pretty big deterrent. At least you're making him work for it, and work is probably something thieves avoid like the plague.

A cheap lock or a cable offers no deterrence to a thief. You're having lunch somewhere and before you can get out the door and shout at the guy your bike is being loaded in the back of a truck. Goodbye.

With a good lock, average size boltcutters are useless and with the honking steel they use and tricks like hex shaped shackles the thief has to make 2 cuts, he can't make 1 cut and rotate the shackle to free the lock. So now he's going through a couple of cutting wheels and batteries. That's a pretty big deterrent. At least you're making him work for it, and work is probably something thieves avoid like the plague.
Like I said before, you do not want to go cheap on the locks when it comes to locking that beautiful new ebike.

It doesn't matter where you are and what time of the day it is
But it does matter what kind of lock you have. 13mm hardened steel that takes two cuts to open vs cheap U-lock that's not hardened and only takes one cut. I dont think you can put a grinder to a hardened chain very easily because you need to steady it to make the cut. Given a bike rack fill of choices, dont be the easy target. just sayin'

This guy is THE BEST. And, by the way, he can pick anything.

This is the lock I'm going with. Like one person said earlier, they'll reimburse you if your bike is stolen.
I would read the fine print on the reimbursement on your bicycle with kryptonite ...if the thief takes the lock the reimbursement is null and void. it has been known that the bike thief will take the lock sometimes too..honestly the whole thing sucks you can't leave anything out without worrying about it getting stolen

honestly the whole thing sucks you can't leave anything out without worrying about it getting stolen

This is always the dilemma I face when deciding which form of transportation I want to take to run errands and such. The necessity of having to be so careful about securing a bike of any sort (if you can find a place to secure it in the first place) is usually why I will take my 300cc scooter somewhere rather than my ebike. I tend to ride my ebike more for exercise and round-trip journeys when I know I won't be having to lock it anywhere.

This is always the dilemma I face when deciding which form of transportation I want to take to run errands and such. The necessity of having to be so careful about securing a bike of any sort (if you can find a place to secure it in the first place) is usually why I will take my 300cc scooter somewhere rather than my ebike. I tend to ride my ebike more for exercise and round-trip journeys when I know I won't be having to lock it anywhere.
I agree. If you have to lock your bike in your garage, it's time to move.

Yeah. I invested almost $200 in various locks. I got a chain lock for locking the front tire to the frame and maybe the rack too. As well, I got another, much more expensive Kryptonite Series-4 chain lock for locking the back tire to the frame and rack, and then a cheap Chinese folding lock for locking the seat to the frame so that doesn't get stolen (if you can believe it, I have had my seat stolen before. Crackheads are wild, but I doubt anyone will go to the effort to cut a lock just to steal a seat) as well as another, more expensive Kryptonite folding lock that I'll probably use either when I'm feeling especially paranoid, or just as a backup, but probably the former because to hell with getting a bicycle that I likely will have waited 2+ months for stolen.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it paranoid? For sure. Will it take 60 seconds to lock and unlock? Yeah, but that's better than my bike being an easy target for thieves. Will it deter crackheads that want to flip my bike to feed their coke addiction? Eh, maybe. But it's better than just using a cable lock.
Like pee wee herman lol

Like this right RC

Attachments

• peewee-1.jpg
    peewee-1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 428
Okay, as promised here's my method for taking off the rear tire. I flipped the bike upside down and rested the back end on a tote and the front handlebars on some foam blocks to keep the shifter and stuff off the ground 38532.

Shift your bike to its highest gear so the chain is on the smallest ring. I assume you know to unplug your motor (cut any cable ties) and loosen the nuts at the wheel. There's a captive washer that needs to be unbolted too. I also unscrew one retaining screw from the brakes to pull them away from the rotor.

the next thing to do is throw away your derailleur guard 38535 and mallet 38533.

The tool we're going to use to pop the wheel off is a channel lock type wrench38534. But we're going to use it as a pry bar. A big pliers would work too. Open it like a T 38536. Place a rag on your frame to prevent scratching 38537.

Put the smaller end of the Jaws on the rag, and the larger end under the nut 38538. Pushing down on the handle with your right hand will pivot the large jaw up and pop the nut out of the slot. 38539.

The rest you should be able to figure out from here. Putting it back together, I used a flat pry bar to spread the frame. When plugging in your motor, align the arrows before plugging in 38540.

Follow the motor wire about a foot away and unplug the connector. loosen both dropout bolts and remove allen bolt close to dropout on non motor side. Put wrench on either axle bolt and gently hit with mallet alternating both sides until wheel is out. When putting wheel back on start with motor side barely in dropout and use a large screwdriver between frame and hub to get other side started. Work both sides in slow and don’t wedge screwdriver on brake disc or freewheel.
Why would you have to pry it out? Don't put it back that way move the washers so it fits.

Nice job and write up. One thing about the derailleur guard, If I didn't have one, I would purchase one. I will be transporting our bike in the back of a Chevy Colorado laying on their sides. For my needs, I need all the protection I can get.

Before I get flamed for not locking the bikes, the truck has a locking cover and I will never be going to big cities for the reason mentioned above. 😂

Back