Lectric XP

Yes I went with a 52 V battery from Luna cycle. The battery in the motor are going to be the most expensive. It was the best thing that I could’ve ever done for my XP it was everything I was looking for. I spent a grand total including the XP $1900 bucks! A pal of mine has a Juiced hyper scorpion The XP holdS it’s own no problem if not better.!!

Luna cycle is an awesome company that really promotes DIY kits they sell a lot of their own bikes and they’re pretty awesome! They kind of expect you to rely on the forums and those types of DIY websites, I’m not saying that they won’t help you because they do !! they’re good like that, but it’s not like an Amazon purchase so to speak.. where you have instant returns and free shipping and all that stuff. But you’re getting a bunch of dudes who go through the motor and make sure everything is up to snuff and plus it’s an American company!! I can’t stop riding this bike it is just a world of difference!!! Don’t get me wrong the XP hub drive is a pretty peppy motor to begin with. In my opinion it’s very impressive.

I knew I wanted to have two motors when I bought the XP ...Lectric doesn’t really sell you many parts and that was kind of a bummer Luna on the other hand cells back ups of almost every part of that BBS HD motor so there’s no worries I’ve already ordered a couple just to have!!

You will have plenty of power when you need it especially if you like going off roading which I really really do I love!! hitting the trails and using the pedal assist and then also just throttling and having lots of power to get me anywhere!!! And I literally mean anywhere you want... I’ll make a few videos when I have time just how amazing this little sucker is now!!!

I changed out the chain ring to a 44 , a chain ring Luna sells!! The chain ring that comes with BBS HD is junk. I had the motor sent to me hot rodded (1500 watts) and it’s incredible..But if you were a real power junkie you can actually get a 50 amp controller and a 72 V battery and you practically have a dirtbike whenever you want it!!! The things you’re gonna want to get are a gear sensor when you order the motor if you decide to do it. It works wonderful it’s almost like the XP was made for the BBS HD everything went relatively well! Luna wasn’t very explicit on what I needed to get the crank case off, they might have explained it but I may have missed that part!!
You may already have all the bike tools I did not, I just bought their Luna tool that they said it would be recommended ( nebulous mistake). Get a crank puller and then the socket tool that pulls out the other part for the bottom bracket! That’s really gonna be your hardest part. They sell the battery pack with a magnet kit I fabricated amount on the top part of the XP and a little Velcro and it works great!
Thanks for that info Tony about your bike's setup. That sounds like a beast of a bike now. I can't wait to watch the videos you make about your bike. I may consider adding a setup like yours. It would add to the reliability of having a backup power source if the other drive fails and would add to the longevity you could get out of these bikes.

The hub drive contributes to the overall exertions without it and no extra weight (gear/batteries) 33 mpg with gear and batteries plus twisting hub 30 on the flats easy!!
The hub drive contributes to the overall exertions without it and no extra weight (gear/batteries) 33 mpg with gear and batteries plus twisting hub 30 on the flats easy!!
I will
Thanks for that info Tony about your bike's setup. That sounds like a beast of a bike now. I can't wait to watch the videos you make about your bike. I may consider adding a setup like yours. It would add to the reliability of having a backup power source if the other drive fails and would add to the longevity you could get out of these bikes.
absolutely!! I’ll try to get one up this weekend or next weekend, I’ll try to put it through its paces and then if you have any specific questions I’ll try to answer those as well!! it brings the fun factor to a full 150%!! I just went up a hill that I used to have to kind of work for along with my hub, and I walked up that hill 16 miles an hour zero peddling just to see what it had!!! With the new chain ring that I got from Luna to 44 tooth which is a good middle ground between Offroad and riding on the pavement, I have had zero issues with the chain falling off so far and I can switch to every gear!!

absolutely!! I’ll try to get one up this weekend or next weekend, I’ll try to put it through its paces and then if you have any specific questions I’ll try to answer those as well!! it brings the fun factor to a full 150%!! I just went up a hill that I used to have to kind of work for along with my hub, and I walked up that hill 16 miles an hour zero peddling just to see what it had!!! With the new chain ring that I got from Luna to 44 tooth which is a good middle ground between Offroad and riding on the pavement, I have had zero issues with the chain falling off so far and I can switch to every gear!!
Impressive about going up that hill. I can relate because my XP can go up a hill that I never thought it would so that's why I state that. Thanks about the video posting.

Does anyone know of a source for a extra battery for the XP other than lectric?

This is the battery box they use, I just ordered one to maybe try and make my own battery using larger higher quality cells.

As long as the battery you buy on aliexpress uses the B variant of this (just match dimensions and output style) it should work.

This is the battery box they use, I just ordered one to maybe try and make my own battery using larger higher quality cells.

As long as the battery you buy on aliexpress uses the B variant of this (just match dimensions and output style) it should work.
Thanks the link was a big help.

I'm about 210 lbs and will be carrying another 35 lb. I'm trying to plan a rails-to-trail trip, mostly camping along the way, and with a minimum amount of pedaling (somewhat handicapped). For the most part the trail has a 2% descent.

Can anyone give me a fairly good estimate of how many miles I'll get?

I weigh 230 and get nervous once I get too much over 20 miles. If you are somewhat downhill I would think you could add quite a bit to that, though.

I'm about 210 lbs and will be carrying another 35 lb. I'm trying to plan a rails-to-trail trip, mostly camping along the way, and with a minimum amount of pedaling (somewhat handicapped). For the most part the trail has a 2% descent.

Can anyone give me a fairly good estimate of how many miles I'll get?

I only get about 15 miles on mine with lots of throttle and i weigh 250. I think they should advertise 15-30 miles not 25-50.

That's not good. Have you charged the battery a few times? From what I understand that makes a big difference.

Bike has 350 miles on it, its probably closer to 20 miles not 15 just because of how off the speedo/trip is but they are very much overstating the distances. I think at most they should say 25-35 or 20-30, most competitors with 40-60% larger batteries are claiming distances around the same as Lectric.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if Buying a half throttle off of amazon that looks exactly the same as the one on my bike with the same connectors will work? I have had some luck with other generic parts. I am building a stock pile of backups. I left a link to one I found. I would rather stayaway from Ali if possible and lectric has zip when it comes to back ups.

Couple of thoughts....

The Suntour suspension seat post makes a huge difference. Two things though. It takes getting used too and needs to be fine tuned in order to get the greatest benefit from it. When you receive it will be set at minimum which is 10mms of thread showing. From there you can tighten clock wise 3 turns. I weigh 205lbs so I tightened 3 turns and then went down a bumpy trail and continued too loosen until it felt like it wasn't topping out when I moved up and down from the bumps. After a few times stopping and losening it 1/4 turn at a time it feels like its floating over all the little and medium bumps.
What a massive difference I don't even notice the seat moving over the bumps now.
I rode 25 km today on mostly the number 2 pos level but on "class 3 setting" and still have almost 5/8 of the battery left. That's 15 miles which means I should be able to do 30 miles riding like today on a charge. That's great in my view..👍

Thanks for the report, a couple quick questions. We're about the same weight but how tall are you, or probably more importantly, what's your inseam? I believe you got the 400mm seat post and your wife got the 350mm seat post (which is the one I happened to order). I assume you have seat post length to spare. Can you ride your wife's bike with the seat adjusted for your height? i.e. when seated (on your wife's bike) can the seat be adjusted with your leg extended with pedal in the down position? (within seat post specs). How is it adjusted to the longest specs?

OK...here is info needed for the suspension fork upgrade. I'll give a quick shopping list followed by more details on everything below.

Quick list:
1. Pasak P35 20 inch suspension fork (Pasak P35 20 inch air suspension fork on AliExpress)
2. Neco H185 Headset (Neco H185 Headset on Ebay)
3. Spacer [OPTIONAL] (Steerer tube threadless spacers)
4. Adjustable folding steam (Adjustable folding bike stem)

More details:
1. Suspension fork: I used the Pasak P35 20 inch air suspension fork. This is an air shock and so far I think it's been working great. I'm not a bike guru...so I can't comment on the quality vs a high end name brand shock like RockShox, RST, etc...but I'm very pleased and works great for the purposes of this style of bike. You can buy these on ebay and aliexpress. I got mine from AliExpress.
I one one from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000589965001.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.18.7b011236ehqcSY
I wasn't super impressed with JKlapin Biking. Their communication was usually pretty delayed and they didn't ship the second shock. After finally shipping it, the shock was returned to sender for some reason...all in all, I wouldn't say that they should be avoided...but there was definitely room for improvement.
I got my second shock from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000138191431.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.527a4c4dujZwCD
Rubin bike doesn't have as much feedback...but my service was awesome from them! So maybe they are hungry being a newer merchant...but with my single purchase I was beyond happy.
It should be also noted, that the Pasak shock comes in an air and an oil variant. The oil variant is slightly cheaper...but should still work if you want a little less performance... For what it's worth, I'm almost certain the Rattan Fat Bear Plus ebike comes with the Pasak oil based suspension fork....downgrade from my air variant.
At the time, this appeared to be the only shock that worked which I could find reliably (20 inch, fat tire, etc). Now it appears there is one more shock, the RST Guide: https://www.biktrix.com/products/rst-guide-fork
I can't comment on the RST shock as I just barely saw it a couple days ago. It's the shock found on Aventon Sinch bike.

2. Neco H185 Headset. This was my happiest discovery. After a bunch of searching, I finally figured out the exact headset used on the production Lectric XP...it's a Neco H184 headset (this should be true for production XP's...it may not be true for early prototypes as pictures I saw of those looked different than my headset). The nice thing is that the H184 and H185 are almost identical to each other. The H184 is a threaded headset and the H185 is the threadless version. So this works out great because I didn't have to change the cups in the steerer tube! Basically I just bought the H185 headset...but really only needed the crown race (simply because I didn't wanna take the old one off the original XP rigid fork), and the couple of parts at the top of the headset that are specific to threadless variant. You can get it here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=h185. I also found it on Amazon...but it comes and goes there.

3. Steerer tube threadless spacers. This part is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL and not needed at all. The only reason I got this was because I have commitment issues ;) Using a spacer allowed me the piece of mind that if I happened to cut my fork's steerer tube too short...I could remove the spacer and have a second/third chance, haha. This also could be a good option if anyone wants to raise their handlebars further...

4. Adjustable folding stem. The folding stem that comes on the Lectric XP is for a threaded fork and won't work with the threadless fork. So you need to swap that folding stem as well. There are potentially a bunch of different varieties that would work that can be found on ebay/amazon/aliexpress. I was trying to find one that folds to the right (same as original). I ultimately went with this one: https://www.amazon.com/SENQI-Handlebar-Adjustable-Accessories-28-6×25-4×410mm/dp/B07D5S3HJ3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=senqi+adjustable+stem&qid=1585596154&sr=8-3
It was available in black from Amazon when I bought mine, but I'm only seeing silver on Amazon now... You can also find the same stem on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32909662921.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.2cf92e0e3cY1SK
There are other merchants on AliExpress that sale the same stem.
I don't like this stem quite as much as the original. The original utilized more welds and feels a bit more sturdy. This stem is not bad...I'd give it an 8/10 whereas the original would have been a 10/10. I did find what I think is our original stem but in a threadless version...but still digging into that. I'll update if I find more info on it.

And that's basically it. You really only need the 3 parts (4 if you want the spacer).
I'm finishing up a how-to video that I'll post on youtube to give step by step instructions. But it was all rather easy. You basically remove the old folding stem, take off brake/fender/light, remove the old fork, put on the new fork, put on brake/light, and put on the new folding stem.

Let me know what questions you have...

I can not find that neco h185, is there a substitute ?

I can not find that neco h185, is there a substitute ?
This is where I got mine. Says seller is away, so there may be a delay. I bet you still will get it before the AliExpress parts, though. I am still waiting on forks.

Back