Lbs refuses service due to insurance?

Bobsiii

I moved in May, wanted to find a new lbs because my seller became far away. Only 2 nearby, and both have refused to work on my Magnum Metro. Both cited their insurance. One said it was due to non-UL battery, the other because my bike had a throttle. In both cases I was inquiring about mechanical repair.

Is this common? Why can’t a bike shop fix my rear wheel flat?

I’m getting mad. I’m a low income retiree, no car, dependent on my bike, very limited ability to fix things. Looks like I have to pay my seller to transport my bike to their svc center.

sorry to hear that! my lbs asked me to remove the battery and keep it with me and was real clear they couldn't work on anything electrical but did say the mechanical stuff would be no issue.

Sorry for your problem. You are likely more capable than you believe. It is worth learning some of these basic mechanical repairs and I encourage you to give it a try. Particularly given that you are reliant upon your bike for primary transportation. YouTube is your friend.
Strongly agree. 10/10 will recommend!

Have you looked into mobile bike services? Lots of them in my area (maybe not in yours), and my neighbor with an ebike bought online had no problem getting mechanical service.

Of course, since ebike electricals tend to be proprietary black boxes, letting someone who doesn't sell your bike do electrical service is much more problematic.

Last edited:
Honestly, I’m able to retire in a few years. I’ll be 50, so too young to stop working. For my job, I troubleshoot and fix things. I’ve been doing it all my life. Even when I was young, I would take things apart and see what they look like. I’ve fixed a couple of bikes and scooters. I’ll try to fix anything. I’ve been thinking of what it would take to open my own mobile repair shop. There seems to be a huge need. Though, having my own shop/business means my hobby could become a job. That could take the fun out of it all.

Did decide to go with a mobile service, but it was still a compromise because they, understandably, have minimum charges that exceed cost of a flat repair. As to the advice that I do more maintenance I suggest that, at 80 and recently out of 2-wk hospital stay I'm pretty well able to judge my abilities and they're very limited by several factors.

Larger picture, I wonder if this situation with ignorance-fueled insurance and regulations popping up everywhere is going to one day soon become a big enough problem to become a big media story? Fastest selling EVs? All levels of govt pitching subsidies? You say they're throwaway consumer goods? Oh the outrage!!! lol

Purchased from a dealer. I don't drive, have no convenient way to deliver it 20 miles to my dealer's service center.
The older I get.....the more I value my younger friends. I am in my early 50's and have some friends in their 70's and 80's. In fact I am going to my 78 year old buddy's house tonight to install his new pedals. You are a nice guy Bobsiii....buddy up to some young bike mechanic near you!! (I am serious).
Of course my friends who are in their 30's can teach me about all the 'new stuff' that I don't understand lol....and my older friends no longer keep tools and the dexterity to use them....so I am there for them! The young keep me younger.....and the old keep me in good deeds.

Good luck Bob!! I hope you get it fixed quickly and without spending a lot of money.

That is what happens when you go with a DTC e-bike.
Nothing wrong with DTC bikes as long as you are willing to maintain it.
I have one. A Ride1Up 700 series. Assembled it myself. It’s great! Have had it for a couple of years now. Very reliable despite all the upgrades I’ve done.

Have you ever had a DTC bike?

Nothing wrong with DTC bikes as long as you are willing to maintain it.
I have one. A Ride1Up 700 series. Assembled it myself. It’s great! Have had it for a couple of years now. Very reliable despite all the upgrades I’ve done.

And so let the...
tumblr_mm8gulQvoz1s3g3ago1_500.gif
begin

Honestly, I’m able to retire in a few years. I’ll be 50, so too young to stop working. For my job, I troubleshoot and fix things. I’ve been doing it all my life. Even when I was young, I would take things apart and see what they look like. I’ve fixed a couple of bikes and scooters. I’ll try to fix anything. I’ve been thinking of what it would take to open my own mobile repair shop. There seems to be a huge need. Though, having my own shop/business means my hobby could become a job. That could take the fun out of it all.

I think this is really the way to go with almost anything. You gain an insight into how something works, which often translates to greater enjoyment and a deeper connection.

Not to mention you get to keep enjoying it on Sunday when the shop is closed. :)

Yes, I still own it (a Lovelec Diadem). Perhaps the big difference is Lovelec is a Czech company located in a dual city at the Polish-Czech border, and they build e-bikes themselves (as opposed to Chinese imports). The company is very responsive. For instance, they sent me a replacement display mount twice, and also a derailleur hanger (damaged by a friend). The Diadem is as simple an e-bike as I could do any necessary mods or repairs myself. And the electrical part has never broken. In case I wanted having it handled by a general LBS, there is no issue as long as I deliver the bike with the battery removed. There are also Lovelec dealers around, so I could ask for services there but of course paying the labour in full.

I’m not calling you local bike shop liars but is the “insurance” thing an excuse not to work on your bike since you didn’t buy it there.
Good plan. Maybe the customer would realize and sell their DTC bike. Then buy a bike from the LBS?

Maybe the key is to remove your battery before bringing it in for service?

I’m not calling you local bike shop liars but is the “insurance” thing an excuse not to work on your bike since you didn’t buy it there.
That is probably a 100% yes. My LBS has always been ebike- and didn't-buy-it-here friendly (and whose service department is their bread-and-butter as a result; they have dozens of bikes and a backlog of weeks to get work done). They will work on anything.

There's just one rule: You leave the bike at the shop, but take your battery home with you.

Pretty simple solution.

Back