last mile solution options?

sukeiasa

do you guys think that ebikes are good last mile solutions to the daily commute?
since the job is willing to pay for transportation subsidy, i've been inclined to use the metro to get to work... as opposed to my 5mile bike ride, i'll have a 1 mile congested bus ride to the metro stop... 1 mile is too little in my opinion to pack an bike/ebike so thinking about other last mile solutions... anyone with any experience with electric kick scooters? or have any online resources to do some research?

thanks~

Seems to me a one mile walk to the Metro would be kind of nice, unless it's a rough neighborhood or 20 degrees below freezing. For me, a 40-60 pound bike that costs $1000-3000 and has to be parked, or packed is too much trouble.

do you guys think that ebikes are good last mile solutions to the daily commute?
since the job is willing to pay for transportation subsidy, i've been inclined to use the metro to get to work... as opposed to my 5mile bike ride, i'll have a 1 mile congested bus ride to the metro stop... 1 mile is too little in my opinion to pack an bike/ebike so thinking about other last mile solutions... anyone with any experience with electric kick scooters? or have any online resources to do some research?

thanks~
Don't think you need an eBIKE but a nice small folder like a brompton might work well??

Seems to me a one mile walk to the Metro would be kind of nice, unless it's a rough neighborhood or 20 degrees below freezing. For me, a 40-60 pound bike that costs $1000-3000 and has to be parked, or packed is too much trouble.
Totally agree with this. Assuming weather is pleasant enough for a bike or kick scooter then also pleasant enough to walk. But folding kick scooter seems a great option. I don't have one but have see them in use in my downtown area by commuters. I think Court's video from Interbike 2016 with Magnum showed their scooter options (electric). Whatever the solution it doesn't seem appetizing to me to take that crowded bus (unless the weather is bad).

Get an e-bike and vary your commute. Walk to the Metro for two or three days a week and cycle the full distance on the better days.

An ebike is perfect for a five mile commute, but if you are set on taking the bus, it might not be worth loading one for a mile ride. They're often too heavy for bus racks, and taking a folding one inside can't be easy.

The only kick scooter I've ridden was an EcoReco. I don't recall which model, but I think it was full suspension. I rode it over cobblestones, and it was pretty bouncy. It's probably fine on a regular surface. It felt weak compared to the bikes I'm used to, but again, that's fine. It seemed well made.

I would consider one for a last mile thing, but personally, I'd probably look at skateboards, too, because I used to skate as a kid.

For one mile I think an electric skateboard makes more sense if you're taking public transit. 5 miles is a pretty easy commute on an e-bike.

Consider a Glion Dolly Electric Scooter (wwwl.glion-scooter.com) for your last mile public transit commute. Solving the last mile solution for public transit commuting is our product focus. With our patented dolly feature, you can fold up the lithium ion powered electric scooter and walk with it like a roller bag suitcase.

I was very tempted to go for the GeoOrbital ebike wheel for 26" or 29/700c bikes: https://www.geoo.com/
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I have a GT Transeo 3.0 hybrid/commuter bike with 700X40C tires and this replacement wheel would just quick release away from turning my bike into a 2wd ebike.

Pros:
- only adds 10-15 lbs (less if you take battery out)
- turns any 26 or 29/700c bike into an ebike in minutes with quick release for wheels and velcro straps for throttle.
- same flexibility as a regular bike (carry up stairs, bus racks, car transport, etc...)
- can get carrying case to take the e-wheel on trips/vacation by plane, train, bus, or automobile. Take the e-wheel for a trip to San Francisco and just rent a bike when you get there.
- airless and solid tire, no flats ever
- regeneration braking
- for 700c e-wheel is rated at 20 miles at 20 mph range without any pedaling. +50 miles with pedaling
- extra traction because you bike now becomes 2wd

Cons:
- Price at $800
- delivery expected around Feb/2017
- doesn't work with disk brakes (only the outside tire spins), added expense to purchase new forks to add rim brakes for my GT Transeo

I decided to go with the Radrover 4" fat tire mountain bikes instead a few months ago. They were 2X the price of the GeoOrbital wheel; but, delivery was in about a 7-10 days and I also like to ride trails on the weekend and commute during the week. I can do both with the Radrover (GT Transeo is just parked in the garage now).

Back