KT Controller setup help

Mr-T

Region
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to setup my KT 22A controller and display and i'm having fun with the power assist setting

when i peddle with the wheel off the ground and rotate the pedals i seem to get 16mph in power assist 1 and full power in power assist 2 or above, what am i doing wrong ?

Hi,

I'm trying to setup my KT 22A controller and display and i'm having fun with the power assist setting

when i peddle with the wheel off the ground and rotate the pedals i seem to get 16mph in power assist 1 and full power in power assist 2 or above, what am i doing wrong ?
What is your setting for C14? (cranking assist power. 1 – weak, 2 – medium, 3 – strong)
Have you tried riding it? Is it still boosting you up to 16MPH?

Normal. Each assist level has its own max current limit, which limits the speed. Assist 1 will be the lowest, In addition, with no load on the wheels, the speeds on the display will be artificially high. When you sit down on the bike and ride, you will not see 16 mph in PAS 1. You might not even see it in PAS 2. Depends on your weight, etc.

What is your setting for C14? (cranking assist power. 1 – weak, 2 – medium, 3 – strong)
Have you tried riding it? Is it still boosting you up to 16MPH?
i hadn't tried riding it yet so thats my problem, i did wonder if its because on no load, thanks for your help

Normal. Each assist level has its own max current limit, which limits the speed. Assist 1 will be the lowest, In addition, with no load on the wheels, the speeds on the display will be artificially high. When you sit down on the bike and ride, you will not see 16 mph in PAS 1. You might not even see it in PAS 2. Depends on your weight, etc.
Thanks i thought it might be something to do with actually riding it instead of trying it indoors lol

do either of you know what i should put for P1 ? its a g-force T42

also P5 i have at 16 for a 48v 20ah battery, thoughts on this setting?

so if the KT controller only does light what do you do if you want a brake light to come on?

Last edited:
do either of you know what i should put for P1 ? its a g-force T42

also P5 i have at 16 for a 48v 20ah battery, thoughts on this setting?

so if the KT controller only does light what do you do if you want a brake light to come on?
For P1 you should get the motor specs from the manuf. I don't know what motor you are using. Most likely Bafang or Shengyi.
P1 = (Motor Gear Reduction Ratio × Number of Rotor Magnets).
For P5 I use "0", "which is real time voltage mode". I like to see my voltage in real time.

For P1 you should get the motor specs from the manuf. I don't know what motor you are using. Most likely Bafang or Shengyi.
P1 = (Motor Gear Reduction Ratio × Number of Rotor Magnets).
For P5 I use "0", "which is real time voltage mode". I like to see my voltage in real time.
i don't know what motor i have ;-) nothing in the manual or online

For a brake light, you'll want to install an extra switch on a brake lever and wire it separately, KT controllers don't support brake lights, They really don't support any lights, unless you use a relay. The light output lead is only low current and around 5V,
.P1 is technically the number of magnets in the motor (usually 16) times the gear ratio if it's a geared motor. If you hang a voltmeter or LED off one of the hall sensor signals from the motor (not an easy task w/o the right connectors) , you can count the flashes as you rotate the wheel backwards and that is P1. It has a big effect on the displayed speed, so I believe one of its uses is to calculate speed. The wrong P1 won't stop the motor from spinning, but if it's way off, I think it impairs efficiency. I have a bike where P1 is 220, but it will run at P1=20, but not as well.
For a direct drive motor (no gears), I'd try 16. For most geared motors, try 80-90. As I said, my Q100 motors have 12:1 gearing, so P1 is over 200.

For a brake light, you'll want to install an extra switch on a brake lever and wire it separately, KT controllers don't support brake lights, They really don't support any lights, unless you use a relay. The light output lead is only low current and around 5V,
.P1 is technically the number of magnets in the motor (usually 16) times the gear ratio if it's a geared motor. If you hang a voltmeter or LED off one of the hall sensor signals from the motor (not an easy task w/o the right connectors) , you can count the flashes as you rotate the wheel backwards and that is P1. It has a big effect on the displayed speed, so I believe one of its uses is to calculate speed. The wrong P1 won't stop the motor from spinning, but if it's way off, I think it impairs efficiency. I have a bike where P1 is 220, but it will run at P1=20, but not as well.
For a direct drive motor (no gears), I'd try 16. For most geared motors, try 80-90. As I said, my Q100 motors have 12:1 gearing, so P1 is over 200.
Thanks for your help I'll try the voltmeter idea, I Do have wires on my brakes and it shows breaking on the display, I just assumed it would have brake lights lol

Is there a serial number on the motor? if yes, send it
IMG_2184.jpeg
This is it I think.

This is it I think.
Sorry cannot tell form that serial number. Was hoping it was stamped with a Manuf name or code. I see that G-Force does use Bafang motors in some of their bikes

Thanks for your help I'll try the voltmeter idea, I Do have wires on my brakes and it shows breaking on the display, I just assumed it would have brake lights lol
Something like this might work well. I installed the same kit on my bike. You can use the headlight source from your controller to power this. There are many other similar kits. I commute and wanted the turn signals too. My bike did not come with a brake light, only a tail light.

Is there a serial number on the motor? if yes, send it
Hallo Tom, I use a translator because I'm not very good at languages. I have a problem with the settings of the parameters settings P and C. (kt Lcd3) I don't know how many magnets are in the motor and I can't get the motor open. I bought this bike second hand without a manual. 😕 I believe this is a front wheel hub motor?? There is no thumb throttle and this is with a 12 magnet sensor on the left side on the pedal KT D12L
I'll send some pictures, Maybe you can help me
Kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_115406.jpg
    IMG_20231213_115406.jpg
    507.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20231208_081257.jpg
    IMG_20231208_081257.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 103
Luckynumber, what is the problem with the ebike? Before you discuss settings, we need to know if the bike is even running. The LCD settings usually don't affect that unless you turned off pedal assist.

Meanwhile. it looks like an Aikema motor to me. What is the motor diameter? Is it about 100mm or is it 128mm? I have the AKM100 on one of my ebikes.

akm100.jpg

Geluksgetal, wat is het probleem met de ebike? Voordat u de instellingen bespreekt, moeten we weten of de fiets überhaupt loopt. De LCD-instellingen hebben daar meestal geen invloed op, tenzij je de trapondersteuning hebt uitgeschakeld.

In de tussentijd. Het lijkt mij een Aikema-motor. Wat is de motordiameter? Is het ongeveer 100 mm of is het 128 mm? Ik heb de AKM100 op een van mijn ebikes.

View attachment 168286
Hallo Harry, het is inderdaad 100 mm.
And I think I turned off the pedal assist because the red light on the sensor doesn't come on. The walk assist (6 km/u) also doesn't work wheI keep pressing the bottom button. Can you tell me how to turn on the pass sensor?

Attachments

• 17030997193842960902562005590070.jpg
    17030997193842960902562005590070.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20231206_053659.jpg
    IMG_20231206_053659.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 1703099428233925467414746775233.jpg
    1703099428233925467414746775233.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 17030993061023064394718583340751.jpg
    17030993061023064394718583340751.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 73
When you power up the LCD3, does the speedometer work when you ride the bike w/o power in spin the wheel? You might have a dead controller, if everything worked before, and now walk mode don't work and the PAS sensor doesn't light,

If the speedometer works, then the controller is reading the speed signal and passing it back to the LCD3. When you did the Walk mode, did it give you an error signal? As for the PAS sensor, I never owned that style, but shouldn't it light up to show power and then flash when the disk is turning?

For a brake light, you'll want to install an extra switch on a brake lever and wire it separately, KT controllers don't support brake lights, They really don't support any lights, unless you use a relay.

The light output lead is only low current and around 5V,

The light output lead is actually battery voltage.
I'm using it to power my fuel gage,..

20230930_112709.jpg

My headlight was about 10 Watts, so ~0.2 amps and from what I remember, you need to keep it under ½ amp or blow up your light output daughter board in the controller.
There is no fuse.

20230118_135417.jpg
20230118_141800.jpg
20230118_141817.jpg

Back