Known Issues & Problems with Yamaha Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric mid drive motors from Yamaha as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Suggestions.

I have a PW motor.
Make it possible to update firmware to make walk mode available on 2016 haibike
Make a se kit/ update to PW motors.. the cadence limit is a big issue.
Make a mode where If I stop pedaling.. stop giving it power. load shifts wear or drive train and overrun into tight corners is a problem. (call it tree mode)
Stop gouging on battery price..

The remote is secured with screws and cannot be fastened properly. It swivels and Yamaha has left it up to the end user to figure out how to secure it. To fasten it properly you need to insert a small piece of rubber under the remote. It shouldn't be up to the end user to do this.

I agree that the PW display (the big LCD one) leaves something to be desired, but I think that yamaha left it to the bike company, and the retail shop to get the display secured tightly. We were critical of the display falling off completely in our comparison video.

mount it sideways.. at least its out of the way. learn how to repair the mounts (both display and holder. Wonder WHY.. is the new slim line display and switch not retro fit able to 2016 models.

2018-06-09 13.33.40.jpg
2018-06-09 13.33.23.jpg
2018-05-23 17.54.13.jpg

I thought this would probably be the best place to put this. As well as the video, I now have all the motor bearings and seals available, and offer a repair or overhaul service. You can see by my site www.performancelinebearings.com that I started off working with Bosch motors, but we are now doing more and more with all makes of ebike motors.
Hope it helps.

I thought this would probably be the best place to put this. As well as the video, I now have all the motor bearings and seals available, and offer a repair or overhaul service. You can see by my site www.performancelinebearings.com that I started off working with Bosch motors, but we are now doing more and more with all makes of ebike motors.
Hope it helps.

Haibike Rider-Another outstanding instructional video. Looks like the Yamaha motors are bit less complicated than the Bosch motors based on the way things come apart and go back together. Like the simplicity of the Yamaha internal parts. Wealth of information here. Thanks for sharing.

Broke it again in a head over bars crash.. This is getting old.. I wish there was a way to update the lcd to the newer one on a 2016.. too much invested in the bike to simply buy a new one. https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/yamaha...e-control-with-pw-x-engines-from-2017/637301/

Will this part actually fit the 2016 Yamaha motor? I would verify before purchase. Nice to know this is available for my 2018 if I have an issue. The 2019 Haibikes have the new Side Switch interface which I do not like at all. Wonder if this spare display and control would fit the 2019s??

I have a Yamaha Urban Rush. A little more than 200 miles on the bike and i’m Getting a clacking noise in the vicinity of the crank that sounds like a metal screwdriver striking a hard piece of plastic. At first I only heard it at low speed and now I hear it at up to 20 mph. Only occurs when I’m pedaling. I can’t duplicate the sound with the bike on a work stand. Only under load. Any ideas?

I have a Yamaha Urban Rush. A little more than 200 miles on the bike and i’m Getting a clacking noise in the vicinity of the crank that sounds like a metal screwdriver striking a hard piece of plastic. At first I only heard it at low speed and now I hear it at up to 20 mph. Only occurs when I’m pedaling. I can’t duplicate the sound with the bike on a work stand. Only under load. Any ideas?
This is an issue we hear a lot of people ask about. We have repaired several motors with this issue and managed to get rid of it. I am working on a modification that should help ensure the noise never returns.

The solution turned out to be quite simple. It was the pedals, not the mid-drive. I discussed the symptoms with the shop owner by phone and I was able to narrow down and resolve. I turned off the e-assist entirely and then rode the bike. Noise was still present. Still could be something in the gear box of the mid-drive. But first, switch pedals. I had added HT T1 platform pedals for riding with mountain bike shoes/cleats. With the original plastic pedals back on, the noise is gone.

I will clean and lubricate the HT pedals, but have no concern that the bike will fail to operate.

I just purchased a '19 Wabash and love it. I'm wondering about the info displayed regarding the battery. Yesterday I rode 40 miles, mostly in Eco and a bit in Std, and at the end the display said battery was 56% so I used 44%. That's about 1% per mile. The question was that the Distance said 26 miles remaining. I would expect the Distance to be more like 40-50 miles.

Today I rode 22 miles, totally in Eco. The display said Battery 79% so I used 21%, again about 1% per mile. The Distance said 39 miles remaining. Again, I would have expected Distance to be more like 50-60 miles.

Does the battery output drop off drastically as it is drained? In other words, I wouldn't continue to consume 1% per mile?

Here is my take on the 'remaining distance'
This is forever updating, and if by chance at the end of your ride you went up a small hill, it will key on that data.
IME the battery will be the same... no drop-off until you get to 10% battery remaning, and then it might only let you ride in Eco or Eco+.
BTW..... 1 mile per 1% of battery is good mileage. Keep it around 13-14 mph, gear appropriately, and I believe this gives you the best mileage. Go faster equals more wind resistance and your mileage goes down.

Using the High power setting on my Haibike Full FatSix, keeping speeds no higher then 13-14, I find one mile equals about 2% battery usage. That goes out the window if I pedal hard up a grade or there is a stiff head wind in front of me.

The mileage potential predictors with a fully charged battery in the various power settings I have found to be quite on the money. I absolutely love the economy of the Yamaha edrive system.

When you do get down to the final 10% battery charge, it will seem the battery will countdown the percentages alot more rapidly compared to at a full charge.

Like Mike, the last 12% seems to jump to 7% and the countdown still continues on. This is on a '17 Giant Road-e+.

I just purchased a '19 Wabash and love it. I'm wondering about the info displayed regarding the battery. Yesterday I rode 40 miles, mostly in Eco and a bit in Std, and at the end the display said battery was 56% so I used 44%. That's about 1% per mile. The question was that the Distance said 26 miles remaining. I would expect the Distance to be more like 40-50 miles.

Today I rode 22 miles, totally in Eco. The display said Battery 79% so I used 21%, again about 1% per mile. The Distance said 39 miles remaining. Again, I would have expected Distance to be more like 50-60 miles.

Does the battery output drop off drastically as it is drained? In other words, I wouldn't continue to consume 1% per mile?
This is what I get with my Yamaha PW-X when riding in ECO mode. 1% usage per mile with close monitoring. My remaining distance seems to coincide with that as well.

Last edited:
Hope it helps.

Is this a different motor too the Syncdrive pro on the 2019 models?

Back