Known Issues & Problems with Stromer Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Ann M.

No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric bikes from Stromer as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Good morning. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to find some help. I live quite far from where I purchased my ST1 so bringing it to 'my dealer' is not really an option if something goes wrong. I bought this bike to replace my car and so far I've loved it. But my intention was/is to get to know the bike inside out so that I can look after any issues without having to rely on anyone.

I have the ST1 elite (mountain33) and after eight weeks of daily use (including riding in salty slush, snow, rain), I am now experiencing power loss and it's getting worse. The handlebar interface shows the power cutting out intermittently without any change in the amount of force I apply to the pedals. Not only does it feel like a complete loss in power assist when this happens, it also feels like I'm suddenly pulling a trailer. I've checked the rear brake sensor, cleaned the torque sensor and checked all of the connections...to no avail. The interface is not giving me any error messages. I should add that the bike (so far, might change today) has ran like normal when I leave for work from a 'cold' start. But the power loss has been consistent in kicking-in after about 5 or 6 kilometres of riding. Power loss has been immediate when I leave work to come home (weird).

So after that explanation, I'm at a loss. Like I said earlier, this bike is my only means of transportation. Am I doing further damage by continuing to ride it until I get the issue resolved? How am I to service this bike myself? I'd like to test the entire system (state of charge, motor, etc.). What tools can I invest in? I am meticulous in how I look after my equipment and frankly, feel I could do an excellent job at keeping my bike purring like a kitten for years to come, if I had the proper training and tools. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
With the conditions you are riding in I first unplug as many connectors exposed to the elements and spray with electronic cleaner. After drying then I would apply a light coating of di-electric grease to keep out moisture and maintain electrical contact. Just my 2 cents.

Endless-sphere.com

Another forum that could be of assistance.

With the conditions you are riding in I first unplug as many connectors exposed to the elements and spray with electronic cleaner. After drying then I would apply a light coating of di-electric grease to keep out moisture and maintain electrical contact. Just my 2 cents.

Endless-sphere.com

Another forum that could be of assistance.
Thanks for that. Sounds like wise policy.

@Alan8668, have you tried contacting Stromer's tech department directly? You should be able to arrange a phone consult with them. In addition, if you have any other bike shops around you that handle any brand of electric bike, they may be willing to help you solve this. You're probably not the only rider dealing with the issues of riding in mucky weather on a regular basis and these shops may have experience with similar issues.

@Alan8668, have you tried contacting Stromer's tech department directly? You should be able to arrange a phone consult with them. In addition, if you have any other bike shops around you that handle any brand of electric bike, they may be willing to help you solve this. You're probably not the only rider dealing with the issues of riding in mucky weather on a regular basis and these shops may have experience with similar issues.

Thank you for your message. Yes, I have been touch with the service department. They required that I have my bike looked at by my dealer so to diagnose the problem. That happened today and they found that my motor needs replacing. Seems I was the unlucky recipient of a defective component. Looking forward to my replacement part! :)

I'm still trying to sort out whether this happened when I shipped the bike, the shop messed up or if it is a "known" issue. The LBS that assembled my ST2 (not an authorized dealer) claimed that the hydraulic line to the front brake was kinked inside the frame and had to be removed and replaced. Has anyone else experienced this? I am dubious.

Good to hear, Alan! It's always a relief to have your bike work the way it's supposed to! :)

@st2sLEMON, have you contacted Stromer as well as the shop? It might help to have the regional rep aware of your situation; they may have other options beyond what your dealer has to help you; particularly since this is not your first problem with the bike. Call Stromer at phone # (800)819-4262.

Hi Everyone, having some problems with my ST1X. The cables that come from the engine and go into the frame are held in place via a clip. They popped out a while back and I don't normally look at that part of the bike and the brake rotor started to cut into the cable. Fortunately before too much damage was done the motor cut out and gave the following error code: Drive Error 0X230000. I took it to the dealer and they said that they have never seen this happen before. There were a couple of other ST1x's in the shop so they were able to easily see how the cable are suppose to be attached and put them back into place and presumably cleared the codes and reset the computer.

All good so far (excepting that now I have a frayed cable from the brake rotor digging into it)

Now two weeks later the cable is getting pulled around the part where the cable comes right out of the motor on the wheel. I think the cables are also popping out again, not as bad as before. The engine is not operable and giving the 0X230000 code again.

So back to the dealer.

Has anyone had the same problems?

The other problem I am experiencing is a very loud cracking sound coming from the handle bar area that is definitely not normal for a bike. The dealer has tried to fix it by greasing everything, but still not fixed. They will be contacting Stomer to see whats up, but would be great to see if anyone else has the same problems.

IMG_0194.jpg

Here is a picture of the cable wrapping around the wheel
View attachment 17021

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the cable wrapping around the wheel
View attachment 17021

Turns out the there is a problem with the seating of the rear wheel. It has never been taken off since getting the bike so must have either not been installed correctly when the bike was assembled or there is some kind of design flaw with the axle, motor, frame. The wheel/axle/motor has been digging into the side of the frame.

Good news is that Stromer is stepping up and going to replace the bike.

there is some kind of design flaw with the axle, motor, frame. The wheel/axle/motor has been digging into the side of the frame.
Good news is that Stromer is stepping up and going to replace the bike.

Yup, they are working on redesigning the powercable design. Stromer support has been great and that's the only way a company can survive in this competitive field.

Hello Everyone I,m new to the forum.I have 2 Stromer ebikes My first one was purchased last year.It is a st1 limited edition.The second one I purchased last week.It is a ST1X. I purchased the x for my wife. When I ride the x the torque is not there.Comparing the rides for torque the st1 limited is great,however the x is terrible.I have tried to adjust the sensor the omni the calibration I verified the TMM output.Has anyone had the opportunity to ride a st1 power 48 to compare the torque to the x?

Did you go into the "Service" Menu to reset the torque? Here's how in case you did not:

1. Set the bike on the main screen that has Lock, Off, Sensor, Move, Menu.
2. Pull and hold the right brake lever.
3. While holding the right brake lever, push the Menu icon.
4. While holding the a Menu icon, release the brake lever.
5. Continue holding the Menu icon until the screen automatically takes you to the MENU.
6. Scroll down to SERVICE and select it.
7. In SERVICE, select SETTINGS.
8. reset torque sensor
9. Press the On / Off switch underneath the top tube to exit this menu.

Received from another Stromer Forum member sometime ago...

Did you go into the "Service" Menu to reset the torque? Here's how in case you did not:

1. Set the bike on the main screen that has Lock, Off, Sensor, Move, Menu.
2. Pull and hold the right brake lever.
3. While holding the right brake lever, push the Menu icon.
4. While holding the a Menu icon, release the brake lever.
5. Continue holding the Menu icon until the screen automatically takes you to the MENU.
6. Scroll down to SERVICE and select it.
7. In SERVICE, select SETTINGS.
8. reset torque sensor
9. Press the On / Off switch underneath the top tube to exit this menu.

Received from another Stromer Forum member sometime ago...
Thanks Smitty I gave it a shot.The Service icon location is a valuable tool to locate what the TMM OR TORQUE VALUES ARE.In isolating potiental issues with the TMM offset and base line values.

Back