Known Issues & Problems with Rize Bikes Products + Help, Solutions, & Fixes

I’m trying to adjust the angle of the handle bar stem but am having trouble moving it. I loosened and removed the bolt but still cannot adjust tilt. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Ran into this today. The washer under the bolt on the bolt head side releases by itself pretty easily, allowing THAT side to move. What's holding it at that point is the washer on the others side. It must release (pop out a little) as well. At that point you can position the riser anywhere. Mine is pointing nearly straight up!

Great thread. Thanks to all who post. I’m pragmatic and have been test riding Tern’s, Giant, Biktrix and a friends conversion

Im feeling good aBout Biktrik and Rize.

Rode my Rize RX through a deep puddle totally submerging the Bafang motor. Question: should I be concerned about corrosion over time of cables and housing unit? Can the Bafang motor withstand this kind exposure - what's it's waterproof rating? If I should be concerned what would be the best steps to drying the motor out.

After the puddle I continued to ride another 40km without any issues.

Thanks!

Rode my Rize RX through a deep puddle totally submerging the Bafang motor. Question: should I be concerned about corrosion over time of cables and housing unit? Can the Bafang motor withstand this kind exposure - what's it's waterproof rating? If I should be concerned what would be the best steps to drying the motor out.

After the puddle I continued to ride another 40km without any issues.

Thanks!
There was a thread in the Bosch forum that went over this in detail, but here are the Coles notes:

- Bafang claims a rating of IP65 (Dunk proof/splash proof) on Ultra Motors, but they are known to exaggerate things, so I'd take that with a grain (Heck, a whole box) of salt.
- No ebike motor is rated as truly waterproof. Most are reasonably splash proof, but there are documented failures of all brands due to water incursion.
- An occasional splash or short dunk should not be fatal, but don't make a habit of it.
- If you do get a short but deep dunk; e.g. more than a basic creek crossing, run it till dry as the heat helps (I'd put a fan blowing on it for a while when you get home), and lube it properly after.
- As for cables, bearings, derailleurs, etc. Yes, they will corrode and reduce their life if you are not keeping them lubed well enough, and/or letting water sit in them after the ride.

Thanks for the quick response! I think it was probably able to dry a bit since I ran it for several hours after the dunk. It was submerged for no more than 5-10 seconds but submerged all the same. Anyways, thanks again.

I'm pretty much sold on using the ACF-50 (spray can with straw) on and inside everything, except the brakes, grips, saddle etc. After more than a year in all weather plus salt on the roads I find no specks of rust anywhere.

I'm pretty much sold on using the ACF-50 (spray can with straw) on and inside everything, except the brakes, grips, saddle etc. After more than a year in all weather plus salt on the roads I find no specks of rust anywhere.
I use the same stuff on my bikes and on my motorcycles as an annual/semi-annual treatment (Spray on, wipe off excess, or light wipe with a soaked cloth). I do still lube the chains and pivot points separately and regularly. Some folks do claim the ACF50 can be used as a single lubricant, but I find it a little costly for weekly or even monthly application.

I use the same stuff on my bikes and on my motorcycles as an annual/semi-annual treatment (Spray on, wipe off excess, or light wipe with a soaked cloth). I do still lube the chains and pivot points separately and regularly. Some folks do claim the ACF50 can be used as a single lubricant, but I find it a little costly for weekly or even monthly application.
I now use it on the chain every time I go out in rain snow or salt on roads, but now I do notice a slight stickiness when dried unless the chain is wiped really really clean. To me it isn't expensive for one bike. One spray can with straw has done my whole bike several times including dousing the battery until it ran out the other end. Can is half used.

EXCEPT BRAKES!!!

Now that we're well into a new season I wanted to update you all on the problems I experienced (see earlier in this thread if interested). After we had a local bike shop fit a new controller (Rize covered the cost fully), we have had no further problems at this stage. So far this year it's been 100% reliable. And we really love the experience of riding these bikes.

We just changed our car and this one has a hitch, so now I'm on the hunt for the best bike rack that I can afford (and I can't afford for them to fall off), but I'll post that elsewhere in case anyone has any recommendations.

Now that we're well into a new season I wanted to update you all on the problems I experienced (see earlier in this thread if interested). After we had a local bike shop fit a new controller (Rize covered the cost fully), we have had no further problems at this stage. So far this year it's been 100% reliable. And we really love the experience of riding these bikes.

We just changed our car and this one has a hitch, so now I'm on the hunt for the best bike rack that I can afford (and I can't afford for them to fall off), but I'll post that elsewhere in case anyone has any recommendations.
Good to hear that it got sorted out.

If you do a quick search for Hitch Rack in the general forums there are many good recent and ongoing discussions on rack options. A couple of key factors to think about for your bikes while reading through will be a fender compatible rack, and weight capacity for 2 bikes as the Rize bikes are generally quite heavy in the category. :)

KAC K2 rack. Would not own any other. Super easy to load. Hold the back brakes and tilt up the bike to put the front tire in the holder. Makes loading and unloading easy as your only lifting roughly half the weight of the bike at a time.

rize rx 2021First-day bent disc brakes(paid $50 to fix out of box). Broken Cassette which caused the chain to break, bent front fenders, derailer hanger the list goes on... After replacing the 9 speed broken cassette I am unable to bike on the last 3 gears. If I try biking in these gears the chain skips then eventual breaks(4 chains so far). The bike shop I took it to couldn't find the problem.. Hoping that someone here anyone here can give me a solution to this problem before I call for a refund?

Attachments

• 20211023_124641.jpg
    20211023_124641.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 213
  • 20211026_131437.jpg
    20211026_131437.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 20211026_124023.jpg
    20211026_124023.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 20211023_124633.jpg
    20211023_124633.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
2020 RX Pro? Make sure you replaced with the correct cassette. Off the top of my head its a Hg400 11-34. Also you should not be breaking chains if you are using a KMC e bike chain. 2400 miles up crazy terrain including flights of stairs and have never snapped a chain

2020 RX Pro? Make sure you replaced with the correct cassette. Off the top of my head its a Hg400 11-34. Also you should not be breaking chains if you are using a KMC e bike chain. 2400 miles up crazy terrain including flights of stairs and have never snapped a chain
rize rx 2021. like I said something is wrong with the derailleur. If I peddle on any of the last 3 gears while the motor is on. The chain pulls then snaps.

That derailleur is going to need regular adjustment until the cable stretches out. I was in a local shop the second week I recieved mine and another couple of months later (around 500 miles). Guy at the shop said the alivio derailleurs are finicky to dial in. He got mine super dialed in after the initial cable stretch and I’ve been solid since now at 2400 miles. Even with some bad shifting on my part I’ve never snapped a chain though. Don’t see how that happens. I regularly rapid shift 3 gears as fast as I can pull the trigger and have never done that.

Last edited:
That derailleur is going to need regular adjustment until the cable stretches out. I was in a local shop the second week I recieved mine and another couple of months later (around 500 miles). Guy at the shop said the alivio derailleurs are finicky to dial in. He got mine super dialed in after the initial cable stretch and I’ve been solid since now at 2400 miles. Even with some bad shifting on my part I’ve never snapped a chain though. Don’t see how that happens. I regularly rapid shift 3 gears as fast as I can pull the trigger and have never done that.
Of course you dont have the same bike.

rize rx 2021First-day bent disc brakes(paid $50 to fix out of box). Broken Cassette which caused the chain to break, bent front fenders, derailer hanger the list goes on... After replacing the 9 speed broken cassette I am unable to bike on the last 3 gears. If I try biking in these gears the chain skips then eventual breaks(4 chains so far). The bike shop I took it to couldn't find the problem.. Hoping that someone here anyone here can give me a solution to this problem before I call for a refund?
I don't mean to sound smug, but it sounds to me like your "shop" is the issue here. If they can't find what should be a simple problem, you need to get any money given to them refunded and go elsewhere. This is not rocket science, and your bike is nothing special when it comes to setting up the derailleur to shift properly.

Hangars and derailleurs are both bent frequently in shipping. Not always, and this bike manf. is not unique when it comes to this issue. It happens! You said the hangar was bent. Has that been replaced? There is no way on God's earth that bike is going to shift like it should with a bent hangar OR derailleur. This stuff should be easily spotted/diagnosed by an experienced tech....

Last, if it's not shifting right, riding it until it breaks isn't helping a thing, and YOU are the only one to blame.

Back