Known Issues & Problems with Riese & Müller Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I don’t get why they undermine themselves like this. I would speculate that they perhaps have an arrangement with the Euro rack bag makers or perhaps are contemplating a side business in trunk bags. Pure speculation on my part. I would let customers fit their own rack — a German Tubus or other proven racks.
There was a recall on this part for certain versions and I don’t believe it has been an issue since the change. I know many would prefer more rack options though. For the Full suspension bikes there are no options but for the hardtail bikes they could be swapped with some cosmetic compromises.

There was a recall on this part for certain versions and I don’t believe it has been an issue since the change. I know many would prefer more rack options though. For the Full suspension bikes there are no options but for the hardtail bikes they could be swapped with some cosmetic compromises.
Chris how do they solve the recall on the plate? I would think after looking at the variety of cracks pics on the link that dblhelix posted that a new bridge plate will not solve the flex problem and subsequent future cracks in the rack stays themselves? How or what would you suggest I swap for better functionality ? I would like to replace the whole rack with something more conventional / reliable.

Last edited:
I believe the new plate is heavier duty. I have only seen one rack mount break in all the bikes we have sold, but it happened to be one of the recalled mix about two years ago. I haven’t tried different racks but it would require a decent bit of mods to make one work, you’d need a custom mount for the upper rack stays, similar to the exsisting one or you could use P- clamps on the seat stays with a more tradtitional rack mount. You might also need to find or make an adapter for the lower mounting points as they aren’t 100% vertical.

I believe the new plate is heavier duty. I have only seen one rack mount break in all the bikes we have sold, but it happened to be one of the recalled mix about two years ago. I haven’t tried different racks but it would require a decent bit of mods to make one work, you’d need a custom mount for the upper rack stays, similar to the exsisting one or you could use P- clamps on the seat stays with a more tradtitional rack mount. You might also need to find or make an adapter for the lower mounting points as they aren’t 100% vertical.
Yes I see.... ok I will wait and try the new replacement plate if they offer it to me. UPDATED May23; A whole new rack has arrived at my LBS and I am very much looking forward to having a complete bike again. 5500 km on it now and I am really pleased with the Charger. It feels entirely like my old pal now that it has the right brakes! It is rock solid and stable as a machine you entrust your life to should be. Further Update: Now I finally have the new upgraded rack plate installed and since they generously shipped a whole complete rack I also have a spare bungee and rack! I am loading up the 3rd battery and heading out for a long ride in turbo mode today.

Last edited:
I don’t get why they undermine themselves like this. I would speculate that they perhaps have an arrangement with the Euro rack bag makers or perhaps are contemplating a side business in trunk bags. Pure speculation on my part. I would let customers fit their own rack — a German Tubus or other proven racks.

One of my future engineering projects is getting a Tubus rear rack working on my Charger. I agree that the rack they ship with lame.

Anyone had to use the walk assist on the R&M Delite (or tried it just for fun!)? I find that its speed is set too high - even pushing a heavy load (two full panniers and rack bag) up a 14% hill the walk assist had me running to catch up (for short distances - come on)! Can this be adjusted?

Have tried the walk assist on our Homage GT and it seems, if anything, very slow, but adequate even for steep hills offroad. Our bike has a CX drive though, whereas the Delite has the HS, I think. Maybe that's the difference?

We have had very few issues with our 2018 Homage GT Nuvinci in 1400 miles of riding since acquiring it about a year ago, but have had a few minor ones:
  • "Crinkly" sound coming from the Fallbrook C8 shifter - the bike shop seemed to fix this, then it occurred again about 6 months later and shifting cut out completely. I opened up the C8 and found both cables were completely unraveled and one had snapped. I suspect the culprit was our bike leash mount for running the dog impinging on one of the shifter cables, which caused it to jump its track in the shifter. So for other Nuvinci users, make sure no accessories impede the movement of those shifter cables. If you hear a crinkly sound while shifting, that's frayed shifter cables rubbing against the housing of the C8 and they need to be replaced. It's a bit tricky to do on your own, so you probably want a skilled mechanic to do it.
  • Have not had the issues others reported with racks, as on our model year of Homage, the rack is integrated into the frame and very heavy-duty, with a 20 kilo capacity. I was in the shop the other day for the above issue and they sell almost the full line of R&M's and I noticed that some have the Racktime system while others have the heavy-duty integrated one like ours. I can definitely recommend the latter, I've used it to haul a 35 lb. jib of cooking oil and it worked great! I have had issues with the convenience of the Bibia strap system on it though. It's kind of hard to let slack out when you have a saddlebag under the seat, not to mention the mounted Abus lock. It also doesn't seem strong enough or long enough for exceptional loads. Lastly, it's difficult to hook it on the frame if the load is bulky. When it does work out, it's great. I have to supplement with various straps, bungies and a cargo net depending on my needs.
  • It's pretty tough to fit a saddle bag between the seat and mounted Abus lock as mentioned above.
  • The Abus folding lock that comes with it is pretty wimpy; I replaced it with the Granit Extreme version.
  • Since upgrading the rotors to SwissStop and new pads, I've had the same problems others have reported with noise, in our case from the front rotor, after riding down steep grades. The heat seems to deform the rotor and causes it to make very annoying, loud and repetitive rubbing noises between pad and rotor. The only remedy is to stop, let the rotors cool and squeeze and release the brakes in rapid succession several times when underway again. The LBS trued the rotor and it went away again for one ride, then came back. They were never properly bedded in when installed, so I will try the acetone cleaning trick others have mentioned. I don't think this is an R&M-specific issue, but rather a generic disc-brake system issue.
  • The expense of the R&M bikes makes security a bit concerning. Our solution has been to replace the quick-release axle in the front with a through axle, liberal use of Hexlox, registering the bike with the police, taking out bike insurance from Velosurance that includes provisions for theft, and a pair of hefty locks - the Abus Granit Extreme folding lock mentioned above, as well as an Abus Granit Extreme 59/180, which is probably the best motorcycle lock you can buy. I lock the 59/180 around the rear wheel and frame, and the folding lock through the front wheel, and if possible, the fork. If I can't get both locks to fit on a bike rack, I will at least use the second lock to lock whichever wheel is free so they still have to defeat that to get the bike rolling. It would be really great if R&M would work with Abus to add a heavy duty integrated wheel lock keyed alike with the battery.
All of that said, by and large the bike has been amazing. Riding it is a joy!

We have had very few issues with our 2018 Homage GT Nuvinci in 1400 miles of riding since acquiring it about a year ago, but have had a few minor ones:
  • "Crinkly" sound coming from the Fallbrook C8 shifter - the bike shop seemed to fix this, then it occurred again about 6 months later and shifting cut out completely. I opened up the C8 and found both cables were completely unraveled and one had snapped. I suspect the culprit was our bike leash mount for running the dog impinging on one of the shifter cables, which caused it to jump its track in the shifter. So for other Nuvinci users, make sure no accessories impede the movement of those shifter cables. If you hear a crinkly sound while shifting, that's frayed shifter cables rubbing against the housing of the C8 and they need to be replaced. It's a bit tricky to do on your own, so you probably want a skilled mechanic to do it.
  • Have not had the issues others reported with racks, as on our model year of Homage, the rack is integrated into the frame and very heavy-duty, with a 20 kilo capacity. I was in the shop the other day for the above issue and they sell almost the full line of R&M's and I noticed that some have the Racktime system while others have the heavy-duty integrated one like ours. I can definitely recommend the latter, I've used it to haul a 35 lb. jib of cooking oil and it worked great! I have had issues with the convenience of the Bibia strap system on it though. It's kind of hard to let slack out when you have a saddlebag under the seat, not to mention the mounted Abus lock. It also doesn't seem strong enough or long enough for exceptional loads. Lastly, it's difficult to hook it on the frame if the load is bulky. When it does work out, it's great. I have to supplement with various straps, bungies and a cargo net depending on my needs.
  • It's pretty tough to fit a saddle bag between the seat and mounted Abus lock as mentioned above.
  • The Abus folding lock that comes with it is pretty wimpy; I replaced it with the Granit Extreme version.
  • Since upgrading the rotors to SwissStop and new pads, I've had the same problems others have reported with noise, in our case from the front rotor, after riding down steep grades. The heat seems to deform the rotor and causes it to make very annoying, loud and repetitive rubbing noises between pad and rotor. The only remedy is to stop, let the rotors cool and squeeze and release the brakes in rapid succession several times when underway again. The LBS trued the rotor and it went away again for one ride, then came back. They were never properly bedded in when installed, so I will try the acetone cleaning trick others have mentioned. I don't think this is an R&M-specific issue, but rather a generic disc-brake system issue.
  • The expense of the R&M bikes makes security a bit concerning. Our solution has been to replace the quick-release axle in the front with a through axle, liberal use of Hexlox, registering the bike with the police, taking out bike insurance from Velosurance that includes provisions for theft, and a pair of hefty locks - the Abus Granit Extreme folding lock mentioned above, as well as an Abus Granit Extreme 59/180, which is probably the best motorcycle lock you can buy. I lock the 59/180 around the rear wheel and frame, and the folding lock through the front wheel, and if possible, the fork. If I can't get both locks to fit on a bike rack, I will at least use the second lock to lock whichever wheel is free so they still have to defeat that to get the bike rolling. It would be really great if R&M would work with Abus to add a heavy duty integrated wheel lock keyed alike with the battery.
All of that said, by and large the bike has been amazing. Riding it is a joy!
Hi, where did you get a non quick release thru axle for the Suntour Aion? And where on the bike were you able to use Hexlox's?

Hi, where did you get a non quick release thru axle for the Suntour Aion? And where on the bike were you able to use Hexlox's?

I got the thru-axle via our LBS/R&M dealer, a place called New Wheel. They do it frequently enough they had a bunch in stock and the mechanic replaced it with the bike still locked to the rack on my car in the parking lot. I remember him mentioning it was hard to find the perfect fit. It's an axle from The Robert Axle Project.

We have the Hexlox so far on said axle, the bolt for the integrated headlight, and the seatbolt clamp. There are plenty of other places to put them, but since they are $15 a pop I add one at a time every so often when I visit for maintenance or I'm in the neighborhood.

We also have the Hexlox axle lock on our s-pedelec Scorpion, but couldn't put one on the rear axle of the Homage due to a Burley trailer adapter being there.

I also forgot to mention that while great, the beefy integrated rack of the homage makes ut tough to mount the Ortlieb pannier mounting system we had from our traded in Kalkhoff. One of the LBS owners was able to figure out a solution with Adel clamps.

Actually my rack just cracked visibly by the chainstay mount on the belt side of my 2019 Supercharger GX. It's disappointing to say the least with 1,500 miles on the bike.

I contacted my dealer, waiting for a response and resolution. I'm guessing a replacement rack will be in order.

Attachments

• IMG_20190530_184421.jpg
    IMG_20190530_184421.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 874
  • IMG_20190530_184405.jpg
    IMG_20190530_184405.jpg
    914.9 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_20190530_184347.jpg
    IMG_20190530_184347.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 876
Interesting, that looks like a bad weld. It looks like the frame and rear swing arm are warrantied for 5 years, and the battery for 2 years. But it looks like you need to have registered within 4 weeks of purchasing the bike. I don't recall if I did that myself.

Actually my rack just cracked visibly by the chainstay mount on the belt side of my 2019 Supercharger GX. It's disappointing to say the least with 1,500 miles on the bike.

I contacted my dealer, waiting for a response and resolution. I'm guessing a replacement rack will be in order.
Do not worry. I had a similar problem when my connecter plate cracked. They sent me a redisigned steel plate ( the original was aluminum) and a new rack ( identical to the original) and bungee plus reflector. So now I have a spare rack for when it cracks like yours. You will get a whole new rack ,bungee and connecting plate but it will take a while to arrive. I think the design of this rack is flawed because the shape allows too much flex.

My rack was cracked last week - after 2200 Miles since last July.
They well reported approx. 17 cases of broken racks in that German Forum where only a few dozens Supercharger owners are writing!
Meanwhile the problem is well known since more than one year but everytime we tried to discuss this issue with our dealers they just sayd there is no problem and we must not believe everything we read in internet...
BTW: In Europe its still legal to install a child seat on that rack...! In Switzerland and Liechtenstein even on my 45kmh (28mph) "S-Pedelec"-version! (GX HS)

I'm totally disappointed from that kind of "Customer Care". I bought this expensive bike (the high speed version of the GX!) because I wanted to cross the Swiss Alps with it. But how can I do that with a rack which can not carry any load?
I was a big fan from R&M as you can see in some of my videos: For example in this 360° VR Video:

Until last September I wanted to order additionally the mountain version of the Delite or Supercharger because I live inmiddle of the Alps. But after so many months of futile waiting for a suitable exchange of that dangerous rack I decided not to buy any R&M product anymore.

Last edited:
I felt the same way as you at first .They sent me a whole new rack , updated plate and bungee. Now I am very satisfied. They will take care of you too . If you are having problems it might be that your dealer has not made proper contact with the R +M service . Try contacting R+M directly on their website to see if your dealer has contacted them yet.

There was specifically a recall on this rack on earlier versions. I would agree with Steve, it might make sense to contact R&M directly as it should not take that long for a rack replacement. They have them in stock for sure.

Dealer contacted RM and will update me on estimated replacement/fix for the rack.

I'm waiting for a specialty tool so I can tighten up the mounting bolts of the motor as I'm getting a bit of creaking under higher power lever changes such as doing close to 28 mph and shifting from 12 to 13. Hopefully once those are tightened I will no longer have creaking issues.

Dealer contacted RM and will update me on estimated replacement/fix for the rack.

I'm waiting for a specialty tool so I can tighten up the mounting bolts of the motor as I'm getting a bit of creaking under higher power lever changes such as doing close to 28 mph and shifting from 12 to 13. Hopefully once those are tightened I will no longer have creaking issues.

Mind linking the tool you ordered?

There shouldn’t be a special tool outside of a Torque Wrench and standard bits.
You need a crank puller, a belt whip and a Bosch lock ring tool if you want to do the job right.

Mind linking the tool you ordered?

- Park Tool BDT-1 https://www.parktool.com/product/belt-drive-sprocket-remover-bdt-1
- Park Tool CWP-7 - https://www.parktool.com/product/universal-crank-puller-for-square-taper-and-splined-cranks-cwp-7
- Bosch Lock Ring Tool - https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/bosch-lock-ring-tool-101055.html

Back