Known Issues & Problems with Lectric eBikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

I didn’t mention it earlier but when I had the wheel off I put on the 11-28 free wheel. I was going to wait to see if the new controller fixed things and, if not, I could return it to Amazon but I couldn’t resist. I can feel the difference. The funny thing is, the way it’s configured, 6th gear is close to the old 7th gear. So I imagine I will now spend 99% of my time in 6 or 7 except on big hills. Is your other bike also an XP 2.0? If so, and it doesn’t make that noise, then it confirms that I’m not crazy about the noise being “not normal.”
The noise is definitely not normal. My other bike (mine) is a 2.0 high step frame. The only noises it makes are the ones you'd expect from an electric motor. The one that makes the grinding/scraping noise is, unfortunately, the 2.0 step-through frame I bought as a gift. I hate giving gifts that aren't perfect. She's been really good about it but definitely concerned about the noise and not entirely happy about that.

I've been fine with the stock freewheel. There are a lot of hills where I ride but I can get up them just fine and I rarely go above 20mph anyway. I find the frame geometry and small wheel diameter not quite stable enough to push it much faster. I must be getting old because I've done a lot of extreme sports in the past. Raced BMX, rode dirt bikes, did a bit of extreme rollerblading (bombing down very steep hills at 35+mph, holding on to cars pulling me along at 50mph in traffic, jumping off loading docks over cars, jumping down tall staircases, etc... really surprised I'm still here to tell the tales) but I just don't feel stable enough with this bike to go faster than the low 20s. But maybe as I get used to it that will change. I've only had the bikes for a couple of weeks and only gone on maybe 4 decent rides. Didn't ride a bike for over 5 years before that so....

I’m grasping at straws now, but I whether the frame design makes a difference in how motor resonances are funneled throughout the bike. I feel pretty confident that the noises are coming from behind me as I sit on the saddle but maybe that extra crossbar on the non-step through model makes a difference, or if the sound is being excited by the cavities where the controller or battery sits. Or maybe the seat post tubing is acting like a trombone and excites a resonance depending on high high or low the post sits. Or maybe it’s ET calling home. I plan to keep an open mind.

I’m grasping at straws now, but I whether the frame design makes a difference in how motor resonances are funneled throughout the bike. I feel pretty confident that the noises are coming from behind me as I sit on the saddle but maybe that extra crossbar on the non-step through model makes a difference, or if the sound is being excited by the cavities where the controller or battery sits. Or maybe the seat post tubing is acting like a trombone and excites a resonance depending on high high or low the post sits. Or maybe it’s ET calling home. I plan to keep an open mind.
So I just got back from a longer ride with plenty of hills. Mixed results. It still makes the noise under load but I'd say it's about 75% improved with the washer. I only put a washer on the lower screw and not the higher one so I'm thinking adding a washer to the higher mount screw will improve it even more. Also after taking the wheel on and off a million times, there's a new noise that is kind of like a buzzing but that also sounds like something vibrating. Doesn't always happen at the same time as the other noise but it does seem to only happen when the motor is under load.

I'm tempted to agree that it's possible that the step-through frame is designed in such a way that it transmits vibrations more than the high-step frame.

I think I'll be able to live with the noise at this reduced level although next time I have a reason to take the wheel off I'm going to add a washer to the upper fender screw also.

My test after installing the replacement controller was a bust. The noises we’ve talked about still occur under the same conditions. More distressing is that the delayed engagement of PAS 3 is worse than before. Every time I coasted and then started pedaling again it would sit in PAS 2 for several seconds and then kick into PAS 3. This was problematic whenever I had committed to passing another cyclist while road bikes were what should have been a safe distance away in the other direction. I plan to reach out once more to Lectric as well as to Velofix to get a second opinion.

My test after installing the replacement controller was a bust. The noises we’ve talked about still occur under the same conditions. More distressing is that the delayed engagement of PAS 3 is worse than before. Every time I coasted and then started pedaling again it would sit in PAS 2 for several seconds and then kick into PAS 3. This was problematic whenever I had committed to passing another cyclist while road bikes were what should have been a safe distance away in the other direction. I plan to reach out once more to Lectric as well as to Velofix to get a second opinion.
I'm curious to see what Lectric says. I emailed them about my own test this weekend. Like I mentioned, I think my next step is going to be to basically dismantle the bike and remove any attachments that could potentially vibrate or rattle but I'd like to see if Lectric has any other suggestions before I do this. I just don't have that much time to devote to this but I'm willing to put in some effort if I'm reasonably confident that eventually I'll find a complete solution, not just one that makes it 75% better, especially considering that most people don't seem to have any strange noises at all.

I wonder at what point Lectric would consider simply calling it a lost cause and just replace the bike. If I had bought this from any place with a real return policy I would have already returned or exchanged it.

Any word from Lectric? I emailed them over the weekend but haven't heard back yet.

They want to send me another rear wheel. I questioned whether that would do anything to fix what I’ve been experiencing, as they have already sent me one. I’m trying to get them to have someone call me who is appraised of my issues so I can work out a final solution. Still waiting for a response.

They want to send me another rear wheel. I questioned whether that would do anything to fix what I’ve been experiencing, as they have already sent me one. I’m trying to get them to have someone call me who is appraised of my issues so I can work out a final solution. Still waiting for a response.
Was that through email or did you actually talk to someone? They haven't replied to my email so I may give them another call.

I’ve been dealing with them so far via email, and they generally respond pretty quickly. The problem is that each email comes from a different CS person. They should all know me by now, but I don’t seem to be getting through to someone who can make an “executive” decision along the lines I am pursuing. I’m willing to meet them part way, but I’m not being given the chance to have that discussion.

I’ve been dealing with them so far via email, and they generally respond pretty quickly. The problem is that each email comes from a different CS person. They should all know me by now, but I don’t seem to be getting through to someone who can make an “executive” decision along the lines I am pursuing. I’m willing to meet them part way, but I’m not being given the chance to have that discussion.
Same here. I get maybe two email replies from the same person, then the next email is from someone else and I feel like I'm having to start all over again. Last person I talked to just kept pushing me to go to a bike shop but I keep explaining to them that's not a viable option for me.

For me, it's frustrating. The stock wheel didn't cause the noise but it was bent so I had to replace it. The first replacement caused it and it was very loud. The second replacement also caused the noise but it was very marginally improved. Putting the washer in the bottom fender screw made it even better but did not eliminate it.

I think something in the motors is causing a vibration that is reverberating through the frame and causing the attachments to rattle. But how many wheels would I have to go through before finding one that doesn't cause those vibrations?

I thought about swapping the motors between the stock bent wheel and the first replacement wheel which was straight but made the noise but ultimately decided against it. I don't have the proper grease to re-grease the internal gears, not to mention these motors are not sealed to begin with and I didn't want to mess with that and possibly create an even bigger problem.

I may end up calling. Also, I'm only a 5 hour drive from their headquarters. Maybe over the holidays I'll take a drive over and let one of their techs take it for a spin while I wait.

I’m on the east coast so that’s not an option. I have thought about having Velofix come over and take a look at it (my neighbor, who has a different branded e-bike, has a contact he is very pleased with). I think I’m going to do that.

I’m on the east coast so that’s not an option. I have thought about having Velofix come over and take a look at it (my neighbor, who has a different branded e-bike, has a contact he is very pleased with). I think I’m going to do that.
Has Lectric told you that they will reimburse you for that?

No, and I haven’t asked. However, Velofix is their authorized repair firm and I view this as a warranty related issue. I just want them to back up my claim or, if they can, fix it.

No, and I haven’t asked. However, Velofix is their authorized repair firm and I view this as a warranty related issue. I just want them to back up my claim or, if they can, fix it.
Got it. Cool. Like I mentioned, in my area the only shop Lectric lists as being in their service network doesn't answer calls and doesn't reply to emails or voicemails so I'm pretty much screwed. Although Lectric told me I can take it to any bike shop and if it's a problem that is under their warranty they would reimburse me up to a certain amount.

But...no shops near me will work on motors or electronics of bikes they didn't sell so I'm kind of SOL. I suppose worst case scenario I can drive it to the one other shop they list and leave it there for several weeks.

The Velofix shop in my area has 72 5-star reviews and they are mobile - they come to your house or wherever your bike is. Check to see if you have one near you.

The Velofix shop in my area has 72 5-star reviews and they are mobile - they come to your house or wherever your bike is. Check to see if you have one near you.
There are some about 60 miles away but none of them show up on Lectric's website as being in their warranty network.

So they emailed me a picture showing all of the attachment points to check. I guess I'll be buying a bunch of washers and adding them all over the place.

Velofix is coming to check out my bike early next week. The tech has worked on Lectrics and knows them pretty well. We’ll see what he is able to do.

Velofix is coming to check out my bike early next week. The tech has worked on Lectrics and knows them pretty well. We’ll see what he is able to do.
Cool, looking forward to hearing what they have to say. It would be great if they figure it out and even better if it's the same problem I'm having and it's an easy fix!

Any updates? This morning I had a video call with a Lectric tech. He watched the videos I made and unlike their email customer service, he said he was able to hear the noise I was talking about just fine.

He immediately said that to him it sounded like the motor although he couldn't explain why the noise still happened with the wheel from the other bike mounted on this bike. Call it a mystery.... He had me check all the pins on the motor cable and made sure the brake rotor wasn't bent or warped in some way. After checking everything out, they are sending me another wheel/motor. Not counting the original wheel which was replaced due to being bent, this will be wheel #3. I should have it by either this weekend or early next week. Let's see how it goes.

Back