Known Issues & Problems with Juiced Bikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Juiced may be getting their spokes from the same supplier as Giant Bikes but they are not the same high quality. I have a Giant Cypress that's 15 years old and never broken a spoke. My CC broke 2 spokes in less than a month. The spokes always break at the hub, which means they are weak at the spoke elbow. Weak spokes are like dominoes, after the first breaks it just a question of time for the rest. The only remedy is a wheel re-build using better quality spokes. Also the spokes must alternate direction where they enter the hub motor flange. Doing so helps to spread the tension and stress on the wheel.
Apparently, one reason about spoke failure on the crosscurrent is described in Grin Technology.
"A common reason for spokes to fail on hub motors isn't because the motor puts extra strain on the spokes, or because the spokes aren't a thick enough gauge, it's because of fatigue failure from spokes that aren't held snug against the flange. If the spoke bend radius is too large or too far from the head, then it can flex up and down at the bend with each wheel rotation, eventually causing it to crack and fail."
Source: http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/wheel-build.html

Apparently, one reason about spoke failure on the crosscurrent is described in Grin Technology.
"A common reason for spokes to fail on hub motors isn't because the motor puts extra strain on the spokes, or because the spokes aren't a thick enough gauge, it's because of fatigue failure from spokes that aren't held snug against the flange. If the spoke bend radius is too large or too far from the head, then it can flex up and down at the bend with each wheel rotation, eventually causing it to crack and fail."
Source: http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/wheel-build.html
Yes and Grin has two suggestion to remedy the problem. One is put a brass washer on each spoke head which shortens the bend radius into the hub flange. The other is to alternate the direction of the spokes where they thread through the hub motor flange. That's what the guy at my LBS did. He couldn't understand why Juiced Bikes hadn't done it that way on their bikes. My LBS sells Izip bikes, and I notice the hub motors are threaded that way.
20170803_101147.jpg

Hello all. I have just purchased the new Cross S and had my first ride today. After 10 minutes of riding the pedal assist
and the throttle don't seem to be working. the battery fully charged and lights work but it seems that the power to the motor was disengaged. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? is there a trouble shooting manual that could guide what to do next. The initial response from Juice was quick with a couple of questions for me, but it is moving very slow now. I guess they are overburdened with others issues right now.

Yes and Grin has two suggestion to remedy the problem. One is put a brass washer on each spoke head which shortens the bend radius into the hub flange. The other is to alternate the direction of the spokes where they thread through the hub motor flange. That's what the guy at my LBS did. He couldn't understand why Juiced Bikes hadn't done it that way on their bikes. My LBS sells Izip bikes, and I notice the hub motors are threaded that way.
View attachment 18165
I was puzzled by this too. I found this - https://www.electricbike.com/lace-hub-motor/ - sounds like it's not uncommon.

Hello all. I have just purchased the new Cross S and had my first ride today. After 10 minutes of riding the pedal assist
and the throttle don't seem to be working. the battery fully charged and lights work but it seems that the power to the motor was disengaged. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? is there a trouble shooting manual that could guide what to do next. The initial response from Juice was quick with a couple of questions for me, but it is moving very slow now. I guess they are overburdened with others issues right now.

This almost exact thing happened to me too but I was coming home from work and everything cut out all at once. I'm currently in communication with Juiced on how to address this issue. Thankfully I live close by

This almost exact thing happened to me too but I was coming home from work and everything cut out all at once. I'm currently in communication with Juiced on how to address this issue. Thankfully I live close by

Thanks Bryan for sharing. I felt all alone here with this problem. No more. Let me know how you get it resolved. after going through pre-trip checklists they provided (attached), i suspect it is that it is a) the controller or b) connection to controller. These are embedded inside the frame and i have not figured out how to access.

Attachments

• PreTrip Inspection.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 739

I have the same problem. Did your display read error 11? Have you found a solution

I had the same thing happen to me. My display had "error 11". Did you happen to get the same error message?

I had the same thing happen to me. My display had "error 11". Did you happen to get the same error message?

Hi Becky,
No I didn't have any error message that I saw. It basically just cut out on me. On my way home I was able to get it to turn on twice, but it only stayed on long enough for me to see that the battery had plenty of charge. I don't recall seeing anything that I hadn't already seen on the display.

I had someone from Juiced come and pick up my bike on Friday and they're planning to get it back to me by Wednesday. I hope whatever they discover will be helpful for anyone else experiencing similar issues.

Hi Becky,
No I didn't have any error message that I saw. It basically just cut out on me. On my way home I was able to get it to turn on twice, but it only stayed on long enough for me to see that the battery had plenty of charge. I don't recall seeing anything that I hadn't already seen on the display.

I had someone from Juiced come and pick up my bike on Friday and they're planning to get it back to me by Wednesday. I hope whatever they discover will be helpful for anyone else experiencing similar issues.
Sounds very similar. I have full battery power too. Motor just cuts out. I can power off and power back on and I can get juice for about 10 seconds. I bought the bike online, but have a dealer in town that might help me diagnose. I would love to know if you find anything out. I've been waiting a long time for the bike to arrive and now I am anxious to ride it.
Becky

I have been having power cut-out issues with my new AIR as well. Seemingly randomly the power will just completely cut out, display goes dark and motor stops. If I slap the side of the battery it starts back up and everything is fine. It was happening often enough (2 times per 4 mile commute on average) that it was starting to get annoying so it is currently in the shop where I purchased it from but I don't think the dealers are trained or authorized to do any internal diagnostics or repairs so I'm probably in the same situation as those contacting the company directly which is to say they are unresponsive. Other than that I love the bike!

I currently own an Ocean Current and I am experiencing the same issues as mentioned above. The power went out several times while riding today, the only common denominators I can think of when the power loss occurs, is that it usually happens at slower speeds and after repeated brake use. I rode for about 10 miles in sport mode at full speed and never had issues with power. It was only when navigating around people on the beach bike path that the power issues occurred. I'm wondering if the issue could be related to brake cut out sensor, controller resetting, or cadence sensor issue.

I had the same battery issue with my Crosscurrent S, with a 21 amp/hour battery, and seem to have come up with a solution. One that has worked for me anyway.

When my bike arrived, I noticed that the hole for where the lock engages on the battery was enlarged, possibly because customers were having issues installing the battery. This may cause the battery to dislodge slightly from the electrical connections on the bike.

After I hit a few bumps on the 1st ride, I lost electric assist. Took the battery out, slammed it back in, hey I have assist again!

Ended up racket strapping the battery to the frame, and this has solved the problem for me. Haven't lost assist again. Im beating the snot out of this battery for a while, THEN complaining to juiced before the warranty runs out and getting a new battery. Don't get angry, get even.

Attachments

• 20170912_121949.jpg
    20170912_121949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 976
I had the same battery issue with my Crosscurrent S, with a 21 amp/hour battery, and seem to have come up with a solution. One that has worked for me anyway.

When my bike arrived, I noticed that the hole for where the lock engages on the battery was enlarged, possibly because customers were having issues installing the battery. This may cause the battery to dislodge slightly from the electrical connections on the bike.

After I hit a few bumps on the 1st ride, I lost electric assist. Took the battery out, slammed it back in, hey I have assist again!

Ended up racket strapping the battery to the frame, and this has solved the problem for me. Haven't lost assist again. Im beating the snot out of this battery for a while, THEN complaining to juiced before the warranty runs out and getting a new battery. Don't get angry, get even.
I don't know how it is on the S but the new batch of AIRs have a very tight fitting battery with absolutely no movement when it is installed although since slapping the battery on the side seems to restore power it is possible that this is the culprit. Unfortunately I take the battery off all the time for charging and security when I commute to work so this might be increasing the loose connection and strapping it on would be very inconvenient.

The battery doesn't seem move when it's on the frame, another solution may be putting some dielectric grease on the pin connections on the bike.

I have the new Air and I take the battery out every time I park at work. I haven't had an issue with the power, then again I'm pushing the battery hard for connectivity and weeks later, it's still a tight fit.

I have the new Air and I take the battery out every time I park at work. I haven't had an issue with the power, then again I'm pushing the battery hard for connectivity and weeks later, it's still a tight fit.
Yeah, mine is also still a very tight fit (so much that when the bike first arrived at the dealer they couldn't even get the battery on) but they apparently have new battery connector en route from Juiced so hopefully this will solve the issue.

Yeah, mine is also still a very tight fit (so much that when the bike first arrived at the dealer they couldn't even get the battery on) but they apparently have new battery connector en route from Juiced so hopefully this will solve the issue.
Interesting. I actually like the fact it's tight as I don't want to rattle around. Otherwise, great bike (other than the weight...). That S mode is crazy fast.

Sounds very similar. I have full battery power too. Motor just cuts out. I can power off and power back on and I can get juice for about 10 seconds. I bought the bike online, but have a dealer in town that might help me diagnose. I would love to know if you find anything out. I've been waiting a long time for the bike to arrive and now I am anxious to ride it.
Becky

Hi Becky,

They've had my bike for a week and still no word. I was told I would have it back to me two days ago. Then yesterday, after some pushing, I got an email saying to expect word by this morning. Still nothing. I have no idea what is going on over there but I am beyond frustrated.

Brian,Becky,
Many of us are in the same boat, so i would not infer that they are intentionally ignoring us.
I have been waiting 10 days for a response, and eternally grateful that you and others are sharing your concerns.

I expect they are focusing on a fix for us. Thank goodness Bryan was able to give them his bike to diagnose for everyone.
Bryan, thanks for keeping us informed.

Back