Known Issues & Problems with Juiced Bikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Agreed, the Juiced Cross Current is a good value, other than the rear wheel spoke issue I have no complaints. Some folks might be willing to spend considerably for a more established brand. Maintaining build quality and consistency is no easy task, I think many of the newer ebike companies are realizing this. There is still a reluctance from LBS to sell and/or repair ebikes so that isn't going to help either.

Agreed, the Juiced Cross Current is a good value, other than the rear wheel spoke issue I have no complaints. Some folks might be willing to spend considerably for a more established brand. Maintaining build quality and consistency is no easy task, I think many of the newer ebike companies are realizing this. There is still a reluctance from LBS to sell and/or repair ebikes so that isn't going to help either.
After my conversation with Juiced Bikes I feel a lot more confident in buying the new Cross Current S. This is an email conversation I just had with Tora at Juiced Bikes...

Me:
I have heard that broken spokes are common with your bikes. Have you addressed this with the new batch of Cross Current S and Air bikes?

Tora:

The CrossCurrent line of bikes travel at much higher speeds (nearing 30mph) than a normal bike and also can accept very high tire pressures of like 85psi, making the tire rock hard, but low ruling resistance. The load on the spokes are much higher than normal.

We have some reports of broken spokes, but the spokes will not just snap off for no reason. For reference we have had no broken spokes reported for the OceanCurrent which uses the same motor, spokes and lacing pattern.

It is recommended that the spokes be checked and tightened more frequently than a normal bicycle. If a very hard bump is hit at high speeds, check the spokes.

We use the spokes supplier which is also used by Giant Bikes. On the CCS we have improved the spokes fit to better match the flange of the hub motor.

We sent the actual motor to the supplier and had them custom fit the spokes. Also the spokes/rim setup can be interchanged with 13G or 12G spokes so any bike shop can service the spokes. We also now include 4 extra spokes and nipples with each CrossCurrent S bike.

We are continuously studying how the bike is used and finding ways to improve every aspect of the bike.

Thanks,
-Tora

I wouldn't worry. Best case scenario is that you'll have a great bike that will give you many trouble free miles, as some people have attested to on this forum. Worst case is a spoke breaking problem like some of us have. But anything on a bike is fixable. I paid $1095 for my bike, and $160 for the wheel rebuild, so in real terms my bike cost me $1,255. Even at $1,255 you cannot find any other bike this good. The bike is running great now. I went on a 30 mile ride yesterday and i'll tell you the CC Air is really a pleasure to ride. In assist level 3, (not sport) you cruise at 25 mph. That's unheard of in this price range. The only thing I'm missing is font suspension. I think my LBS can add it for about $200, so maybe in a few months that might be an upgrade.
After my conversation with Juiced Bikes I feel a lot more confident in buying the new Cross Current S. This is an email conversation I just had with Tora at Juiced Bikes...

Me:
I have heard that broken spokes are common with your bikes. Have you addressed this with the new batch of Cross Current S and Air bikes?

Tora:

The CrossCurrent line of bikes travel at much higher speeds (nearing 30mph) than a normal bike and also can accept very high tire pressures of like 85psi, making the tire rock hard, but low ruling resistance. The load on the spokes are much higher than normal.

We have some reports of broken spokes, but the spokes will not just snap off for no reason. For reference we have had no broken spokes reported for the OceanCurrent which uses the same motor, spokes and lacing pattern.

It is recommended that the spokes be checked and tightened more frequently than a normal bicycle. If a very hard bump is hit at high speeds, check the spokes.

We use the spokes supplier which is also used by Giant Bikes. On the CCS we have improved the spokes fit to better match the flange of the hub motor.

We sent the actual motor to the supplier and had them custom fit the spokes. Also the spokes/rim setup can be interchanged with 13G or 12G spokes so any bike shop can service the spokes. We also now include 4 extra spokes and nipples with each CrossCurrent S bike.

We are continuously studying how the bike is used and finding ways to improve every aspect of the bike.

Thanks,
-Tora
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I should be getting my new and improved CrossCurrent AIR this weekend according to the website and will report any problems to this forum if I find any. The new batch of AIRs apparently have black spokes but not sure if this indicates a new brand/type or just a paint job.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I should be getting my new and improved CrossCurrent AIR this weekend according to the website and will report any problems to this forum if I find any. The new batch of AIRs apparently have black spokes but not sure if this indicates a new brand/type or just a paint job.
You really don't want your tires to be rock hard. I'd recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire, at least for the back wheel. The max inflation is 70psi. I inflate to about 55 to 60 psi. When the tire is softer it absorbs some of the road surface impact, which causes less stress on the spokes and hub motor. The Kenda tire is max 85 psi but better to inflate 65 -70 psi.

Last edited:
This all sounds reasonable. I inflate my tires to 60 lbs and have hit potholes at speed that likely contributed to spoke breakage. The rear hub/wheel is also heavy which increases stress. Many of the spokes snapped near the bend or had the head that fits in hub pop clean off which sounds consistent with less than perfect fit. On a positive note, the latest batch of replacement spokes from amazon had the same thread as the existing nipples so lacing a new spoke was 2 min job.

This all sounds reasonable. I inflate my tires to 60 lbs and have hit potholes at speed that likely contributed to spoke breakage. The rear hub/wheel is also heavy which increases stress. Many of the spokes snapped near the bend or had the head that fits in hub pop clean off which sounds consistent with less than perfect fit. On a positive note, the latest batch of replacement spokes from amazon had the same thread as the existing nipples so lacing a new spoke was 2 min job.
I think a less than perfect fit is the key to the problem. The flange on the hub motor needs to be the same thickness as the J-bend. If the bend is longer, it creates a weakness. Something that might work that has been recommended is to add a small brass washer to every spoke head. That pulls the spoke in toward the motor, so the J-bend is shorter. It also reinforces the spoke head.

I've had a CC since May 2016, and riding it for a 24 mile R/T commute since June 2016. After 4 broken spokes I finally asked Juiced to replace the rear wheel. Five months later and the new wheel hasn't had any problems.
[Edited to add:] Juiced replaced the wheel after the local e-bike mechanic said the wheel's problem appeared to be a manufacturer's defect. He offered to rebuild it (for $200), but said he couldn't promise the rebuild would fix it. Only after relating his information to Juiced did they comply with my request for a new wheel. I'd requested one several times before, but they sent new spokes instead.

Replaced the stock Kenda tires with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I don't know what the recommended minimum width is for the CC but mine are 35mm. The Kendas averaged two flats per month, almost always the rear tire. No flats yet on the Schwalbes, five months along, which is a huge relief. Seems like there's no end of the glass and construction debris in the bike lanes along my route.

Last edited:
I've had a CC since May 2016, and riding it for a 24 mile R/T commute since June 2016. After 4 broken spokes I finally asked Juiced to replace the rear wheel. Two months later and the new wheel hasn't had any problems.

Replaced the stock Kenda tires with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I don't know what the recommended minimum width is for the CC but mine are 35mm. The Kendas averaged two flats per month, almost always the rear tire. No flats yet on the Schwalbes, three months along, which is a huge relief. Seems like there's no end of the glass and construction debris in the bike lanes along my route.
Thanks for the info. Anyone have thoughts on the Continental Touring Plus Relfex tires? They also seem to have the extra thickness of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires but are about half the price (on Amazon at least).

Th
Thanks for the info. Anyone have thoughts on the Continental Touring Plus Relfex tires? They also seem to have the extra thickness of the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires but are about half the price (on Amazon at least).
They look great and the price is good, but how thick is the puncture protective layer? I couldn't find that info on their website. I think with the regular Schwalbe Marathon its 3 mm, and the plus tire it's 5 mm.

Th

They look great and the price is good, but how thick is the puncture protective layer? I couldn't find that info on their website. I think with the regular Schwalbe Marathon its 3 mm, and the plus tire it's 5 mm.

I can't find it online, but as I recall the Plus is 5 mm.

I've had a CC since May 2016, and riding it for a 24 mile R/T commute since June 2016. After 4 broken spokes I finally asked Juiced to replace the rear wheel. Two months later and the new wheel hasn't had any problems.

Replaced the stock Kenda tires with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. I don't know what the recommended minimum width is for the CC but mine are 35mm. The Kendas averaged two flats per month, almost always the rear tire. No flats yet on the Schwalbes, three months along, which is a huge relief. Seems like there's no end of the glass and construction debris in the bike lanes along my route.
I have the same problem with road debris along my commute. When I got home the other day there was a huge nail sticking out of my rear tire, which is a Schwable Marathon plus, however the tire had lost almost no pressure. Had that have been the stock Kenda tire I no doubt would have had a flat and wouldn't have made it home with out some sort of temporary repair.

Last edited:
On my first test commute today I lost all power suddenly and with no apparent reason. I wiggled some wires and connections and reconnected the battery and luckily all was well the rest of the ride. Anyone else have any issues with power cutting out and possible reasons?

On my first test commute today I lost all power suddenly and with no apparent reason. I wiggled some wires and connections and reconnected the battery and luckily all was well the rest of the ride. Anyone else have any issues with power cutting out and possible reasons?

The battery on mine rattles around so much that the bike will occasionally turn off. My solution is 2 re-useable zip-ties, one around each end of the battery. The bike hasn't turned off unexpectedly since I added the zip ties, and the constant battery rattle (which was driving me crazy) is also gone.

The battery on mine rattles around so much that the bike will occasionally turn off. My solution is 2 re-useable zip-ties, one around each end of the battery. The bike hasn't turned off unexpectedly since I added the zip ties, and the constant battery rattle (which was driving me crazy) is also gone.
I have the new batch of AIR which has a notoriously tight fitting battery so I don't think it's that. I'll have to give the connections a close examination when I get home.

A guy hit me while I was riding the other day. I'm fine, but it bent my back wheel bad enough that it needs to be replaced. My LBS can't find a hoop that fits. Anyone else have this problem? I reached out to juiced- waiting to hear back

Hello jharlow77, I have been riding my cross current 1,000 km and experienced the issue approx once every 1-2 rides (of 25k). Each and every time, waiting a couple of seconds, brake gently then relese brake, stopping to pedal then pedal again recovered the issue. I have no clue on what is causing the issue; I do not suspect a lose battery on my side.

@All, I am facing another - even more annoying - issue, when I land from a jump, go down some stairs, my cross current chain falls off the front sprocket on the inner side. There is not much space to install something to prevent the chain to fall off. Somebody earlier in the forum mentioned he faced the issue - but not solution yet. Any thoughts?

Good luck with that, I too am waiting for a reply.
A guy hit me while I was riding the other day. I'm fine, but it bent my back wheel bad enough that it needs to be replaced. My LBS can't find a hoop that fits. Anyone else have this problem? I reached out to juiced- waiting to hear back
I take it the motor is still good, so you need a doubled walled rim and new spokes. Grin Technologies has them, and they sell Juiced Bikes so they are familiar with the CC. They can also build a new wheel if you send the motor to them. http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/rims.html

Add another that's fed up with poor support, poor warranty service and complete and total lack of response from Juiced on my issues. Have had LBS replace almost half the spokes on the rear wheel, I'm lucky if I get two weeks without one (~40 miles a week). I check the tension every couple days, but it doesn't matter. The LBS has said the only explanation they have is low-quality metal being used in the spokes. I don't buy that just because they buy spokes from the same people Giant does means that they aren't getting lower quality metal.

But to add insult to injury, they won't even respond anymore. The thumb throttle kit I paid $100 for stopped working after maybe 10 uses. No response. Tell them the LBS says the spokes problem is a manufacturer defect, no response. I would happily pay for a replacement wheel with the supposedly improved spoke/hub design IF it came with a guarantee that this isn't just a way to delay the issue and get more money from me at the same time.

I was a HUGE promoter of Juiced to all my friends that were interested in e-bikes. Now I'm going to have to tell the hundreds of people that were considering one to stay away from Juiced at all costs.

Add another that's fed up with poor support, poor warranty service and complete and total lack of response from Juiced on my issues. Have had LBS replace almost half the spokes on the rear wheel, I'm lucky if I get two weeks without one (~40 miles a week). I check the tension every couple days, but it doesn't matter. The LBS has said the only explanation they have is low-quality metal being used in the spokes. I don't buy that just because they buy spokes from the same people Giant does means that they aren't getting lower quality metal.

But to add insult to injury, they won't even respond anymore. The thumb throttle kit I paid $100 for stopped working after maybe 10 uses. No response. Tell them the LBS says the spokes problem is a manufacturer defect, no response. I would happily pay for a replacement wheel with the supposedly improved spoke/hub design IF it came with a guarantee that this isn't just a way to delay the issue and get more money from me at the same time.

I was a HUGE promoter of Juiced to all my friends that were interested in e-bikes. Now I'm going to have to tell the hundreds of people that were considering one to stay away from Juiced at all costs.
Juiced may be getting their spokes from the same supplier as Giant Bikes but they are not the same high quality. I have a Giant Cypress that's 15 years old and never broken a spoke. My CC broke 2 spokes in less than a month. The spokes always break at the hub, which means they are weak at the spoke elbow. Weak spokes are like dominoes, after the first breaks it just a question of time for the rest. The only remedy is a wheel re-build using better quality spokes. Also the spokes must alternate direction where they enter the hub motor flange. Doing so helps to spread the tension and stress on the wheel.

Back