Known Issues & Problems with Juiced Bikes Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Hi Andrew, did you have anymore problems after the wheel was re-spoked. I ask because I'am having the same problem on my new CC Air. My bike has broken 2 spokes in 3 weeks. The guy at my LBS was surprised that 12 gauge, steel spokes would brake so easily. The only reason he could suggest was that the spokes are of low quality. He suggest re-spoke the wheel using better quality spokes. Spokes are not covered by the warranty so I'm about $150 out of pocket.

Hi Pete.

I'm not aware of numbers but the shop owner wasn't surprised when I showed up, as apparently there had already been several brought in with the same problem. Since being replaced there have been no further issues.

I'm a bit gob-smacked that you have a new bike and will have to foot the bill for what sounds like faulty parts!!! Here in NZ we have some pretty good consumer protection laws that look out for the "little guy" - A product sold here must be fit for purpose and no retailer/manufacturer would get away with washing their hands of you once you'd walked out the door with their product. Perhaps you should contact Juiced directly to raise this issue as it sounds like something they should already be aware of working to address.

Earlier in the year when I had just purchased my CC, I had an issue with my charger. It was the weekend and bike shop where I purchased it was closed, so I found the importers phone number and gave him a ring to explain my problem. It was the weekend but he took the time to drive over to my home and sort the problem personally. Not something I had been expecting, so I was surprised and impressed at his level of commitment!! Keep in mind, NZ is small and we happened to live in the same city, so this was doable. I wouldn't suggest you expect the same wherever you are, but it wouldn't hurt to make contact and see what kind of support Juiced can offer.

Best of luck!

I've had some issues with my chain falling off the chainring and getting stuck between the teeth and the outer plate. I think I need to increase the tension in my chain but I'm not sure how to do this. Any tips?
You need to adjust the tension using the B-screw on the derailleur. There are some decent videos on You tube, for the specific derailleur that you have. Arts Cyclery produces some helpful maintenance videos on this topic and others. The last thing you should ever consider is removing chain links as suggested in some of the responses below. A good LBS can also help you do this, even if they don't typically work on ebikes.

Hi Pete.

I'm not aware of numbers but the shop owner wasn't surprised when I showed up, as apparently there had already been several brought in with the same problem. Since being replaced there have been no further issues.

I'm a bit gob-smacked that you have a new bike and will have to foot the bill for what sounds like faulty parts!!! Here in NZ we have some pretty good consumer protection laws that look out for the "little guy" - A product sold here must be fit for purpose and no retailer/manufacturer would get away with washing their hands of you once you'd walked out the door with their product. Perhaps you should contact Juiced directly to raise this issue as it sounds like something they should already be aware of working to address.

Earlier in the year when I had just purchased my CC, I had an issue with my charger. It was the weekend and bike shop where I purchased it was closed, so I found the importers phone number and gave him a ring to explain my problem. It was the weekend but he took the time to drive over to my home and sort the problem personally. Not something I had been expecting, so I was surprised and impressed at his level of commitment!! Keep in mind, NZ is small and we happened to live in the same city, so this was doable. I wouldn't suggest you expect the same wherever you are, but it wouldn't hurt to make contact and see what kind of support Juiced can offer.

Best of luck!
Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. Did you have all the wheel spokes replaced or just the broken spokes?
I contacted Juiced when the first spoke broke. That was about 2 weeks after I had received the bike. I was told that spokes are considered wear and tear, and not covered under the warranty, unless it was an 'out of the box issue'. I don't really see how it could be wear and tear if I only had had the bike 2 weeks. Anyway I also visited a Juiced dealer, listed on their website, just to get a second opinion and was told the same. I ordered a pack of spokes from Juiced website and had the dealer shop mechanic replace the spoke. I had hoped the problem was solved but then one week later another spoke popped. Both spokes broke at the bend by the hub motor. I then faced a dilemma. Do I continue to replace spokes one by one and just hope for the best, or go for broke and change the lot with better spokes. the guy at my LBS, who has about 30 years experience repairing bikes, was astounded that stainless steel 12 g spokes were breaking so often. His opinion gave me the impression that something about the wheel is floored and that I would be replacing spokes until Christmas if I don't take care of the problem now. So now I just hope the rim is also good. Ill know more when I go back to collect the wheel next week.

H
Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply. Did you have all the wheel spokes replaced or just the broken spokes?
I contacted Juiced when the first spoke broke. That was about 2 weeks after I had received the bike. I was told that spokes are considered wear and tear, and not covered under the warranty, unless it was an 'out of the box issue'. I don't really see how it could be wear and tear if I only had had the bike 2 weeks. Anyway I also visited a Juiced dealer, listed on their website, just to get a second opinion and was told the same. I ordered a pack of spokes from Juiced website and had the dealer shop mechanic replace the spoke. I had hoped the problem was solved but then one week later another spoke popped. Both spokes broke at the bend by the hub motor. I then faced a dilemma. Do I continue to replace spokes one by one and just hope for the best, or go for broke and change the lot with better spokes. the guy at my LBS, who has about 30 years experience repairing bikes, was astounded that stainless steel 12 g spokes were breaking so often. His opinion gave me the impression that something about the wheel is floored and that I would be replacing spokes until Christmas if I don't take care of the problem now. So now I just hope the rim is also good. Ill know more when I go back to collect the wheel next week.

Hi Pete.

From what you're telling me, it sounds like you're being taken for a ride! I mentioned in my earlier post that we have strong consumer laws over here in NZ to protect us from shady business dealings and dodgy products, but didn't have to play that card: I walked into the bike shop, the owner saw my the problem, and he pretty much stated that it would be sorted for me - and it was. It was frustrating having no bike for the time it was away, but your situation sounds a little worse, and I would be highly miffed if I were you. Have you looked into your local consumer rights or support groups who could advise you on where you stand legally and what action you could take to redress this issue?

I've had 6 rear spokes break in the 1 year of owning the Crosscurrent. The first couple of times I took it into the shop to be replaced, but now I've been replacing them myself and I'm tired of it. I've been using the replacement spokes that Juiced sells on Amazon. I check the spoke tension regularly and it's always fine, but then every couple of months one snaps off at the hub. I guess I'll take it into the shop again and see what they say. I like doing my own bike maintenance but this bike has been too needy for me.

I've owned a juiced cross current for about a year now with about 2K miles and I agree that the build quality of the rear wheel is terrible. I replace a spoke or two every month and the spokes juiced sells have a different nipple thread size so you can't just simply thread a spoke through the hub and recycle the original nipple. You have to pull the rear wheel and take off tire/tube/rim strip, remove the old nipple and install a new one. It's a giant PITA. The spokes always break at the elbow. It's at the point now that the wobble and hop in the rear wheel is bad enough that I will need to rebuild the whole wheel soon. I understand that rear hub motors are heavy and the stress is much more than a conventional wheel but the 10/12ga spokes should make up for that. I don't think it's a waste of time having a wheel builder check your wheel and possibly rebuild the thing from scratch. I bought the bike from an e-bike dealer but overall I'm unimpressed with e-bike shop mechanics. The few times I've had the dealer make repairs they don't have parts in stock and seem to do a poor job. The one time I asked the dealer to replace a spoke and true the wheel they inflated my tire with a pinched tube that blew and ejected itself while I was riding along at 20mph. I don't mind a bit of regular maintenance but I'm losing patience and considering switching back to non bike for my daily commuter.

I've owned a juiced cross current for about a year now with about 2K miles and I agree that the build quality of the rear wheel is terrible. I replace a spoke or two every month and the spokes juiced sells have a different nipple thread size so you can't just simply thread a spoke through the hub and recycle the original nipple. You have to pull the rear wheel and take off tire/tube/rim strip, remove the old nipple and install a new one. It's a giant PITA. The spokes always break at the elbow. It's at the point now that the wobble and hop in the rear wheel is bad enough that I will need to rebuild the whole wheel soon. I understand that rear hub motors are heavy and the stress is much more than a conventional wheel but the 10/12ga spokes should make up for that. I don't think it's a waste of time having a wheel builder check your wheel and possibly rebuild the thing from scratch. I bought the bike from an e-bike dealer but overall I'm unimpressed with e-bike shop mechanics. The few times I've had the dealer make repairs they don't have parts in stock and seem to do a poor job. The one time I asked the dealer to replace a spoke and true the wheel they inflated my tire with a pinched tube that blew and ejected itself while I was riding along at 20mph. I don't mind a bit of regular maintenance but I'm losing patience and considering switching back to non bike for my daily commuter.
The problem is easy to identify but working to fix a broken spoke is a big mess. I believe the root cause of the spokes breaking at the elbow is from the incomplete manufacturing process. After bending the tip to form an elbow, it should have undergone heat treatment process to remove the micro fractures and fragility that happens during the bending process.

I've owned mine for six months and have five broken spokes. About one a month. I have about 1800 miles on the bike.

I have spokes breaking every few weeks. Its a very frustrating experience. I'm thinking of simply going back to pedal bikes. This is nonsense.

I commute 13 miles r/t daily. This bike can't do it. The spokes break all the time. Sure I have other backup bikes. But when I spend $1,800 on something I expect it to perform and be dependable. A single speed pedal bike I bought for $199 is a better option for reliable transportation to work.

I'm researching other more expensive options. But I'm honestly pretty fed up with the entire ebike industry. The shops and manufacturers point the finger at each other. And the consumer is stuck in the middle. Total nonsense.

I've owned mine for six months and have five broken spokes. About one a month. I have about 1800 miles on the bike.

I have spokes breaking every few weeks. Its a very frustrating experience. I'm thinking of simply going back to pedal bikes. This is nonsense.

I commute 13 miles r/t daily. This bike can't do it. The spokes break all the time. Sure I have other backup bikes. But when I spend $1,800 on something I expect it to perform and be dependable. A single speed pedal bike I bought for $199 is a better option for reliable transportation to work.

I'm researching other more expensive options. But I'm honestly pretty fed up with the entire ebike industry. The shops and manufacturers point the finger at each other. And the consumer is stuck in the middle. Total nonsense.
Wow, I really hope this is something they have fixed with the newly arriving batches. I am expecting my AIR sometime in the next week or two. I've heard that they have started using different spokes so my fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear about your spokes. I wonder if it was a particularly bad batch, since I've got over 2.5k miles without breaking one, and I'm not particularly gentle on the rear wheel.

So I had my rear wheel re-built by my LBS. I didn't use Juiced spokes, they used all new custom cut DT Swiss and new nipples. The spoke pattern is the same but the bike mechanic chose to alternate the direction of the spokes where they enter the hub flange. I was skeptical about this but he said it would make the wheel stronger as it helps better distribute the stress on the spokes. He also said he didn't understand why they hadn't built the wheel that way. However, now there is a gap between where the spokes cross, and I always thought that spokes should touch where they cross. He said because they are 12 g spokes it is not necessary for them to touch or brace one another where they cross.
So, so far, so good. I have been riding about a week and no problems. Ill keep you all posted over the coming mouths, but if the wheel holds up this could be the answer to the Juiced CC, and CC Air rear wheel spoke breaking phenomenon. By the way the cost was $160.
20170803_101147.jpg

So I had my rear wheel re-built by my LBS. I didn't use Juiced spokes, they used all new custom cut DT Swiss and new nipples. The spoke pattern is the same but the bike mechanic chose to alternate the direction of the spokes where they enter the hub flange. I was skeptical about this but he said it would make the wheel stronger as it helps better distribute the stress on the spokes. He also said he didn't understand why they hadn't built the wheel that way. However, now there is a gap between where the spokes cross, and I always thought that spokes should touch where they cross. He said because they are 12 g spokes it is not necessary for them to touch or brace one another where they cross.
So, so far, so good. I have been riding about a week and no problems. Ill keep you all posted over the coming mouths, but if the wheel holds up this could be the answer to the Juiced CC, and CC Air rear wheel spoke breaking phenomenon. By the way the cost was $160.
View attachment 17781
Pete B,
Thanks for that info. I'm considering having rear wheel rebuilt with new spokes and possibly swapping rear rim for tubeless ready version (no more tube repair/replace). Anyone have thoughts /advice on tubeless rear rim for cross current?

Last edited:
Pete B,
Thanks for that info. I'm considering having rear wheel rebuilt with new spokes and possibly swapping rear rim for tubeless ready version (no more tube repair/replace). Anyone have thoughts /advice on tubeless rear rim for cross current?
Pete B,
Hello, I'm not sure about going tubeless. I would keep the same rim and spend the money on a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire.

My advice is to look for a bike store that has good reviews in your area. Any bike store with a good mechanic should be able to re-build a wheel, regardless of whether the store sells ebikes. Don't use the spokes from Juiced Bikes (I'm convinced now that Juiced has been using inferior quality spokes on the CC and CC Air) Make sure the spokes are a quality brand name like Sapim or DT Swiss. Some experts have said that many cheap Chinese spoke brands are only half as strong as quality spokes made in Europe or the US. Grin Technologies has some reliable information about why spokes fail at the J-bend on hub motors and how to solve the problem.
http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/wheel-build.html

I have an ocean current and in trying to adjust the rear brakes found the adjustment on the pad on the back of the brakes to be almost unreachable due to the hub motor- a real pain in the backside , ended up using needle nose pliers to back out a touch - not ideal

Pete B,

As someone that actually uses tubeless on his e bike I heartily recommend going in that direction. 36h tubeless compatible rims are hard to source but luckily these fit the bill for exactly what you would need on your CC: http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622

Well worth the investment I feel. Good flat protection and you can use lower psi for a more supple tire feel which helps reduce vibrations and enhance traction with little to no effect on rolling resistance using narrower tires I find. Just add a bit more sealant once in awhile for added peace of mind.

I have an ocean current and in trying to adjust the rear brakes found the adjustment on the pad on the back of the brakes to be almost unreachable due to the hub motor- a real pain in the backside , ended up using needle nose pliers to back out a touch - not ideal
I know exactly what you mean Brad. I have the same brakes as you on my CC Air.
Sorry to hear about your spokes. I wonder if it was a particularly bad batch, since I've got over 2.5k miles without breaking one, and I'm not particularly gentle on the rear wheel.
Manufacturers use different part suppliers in order to meet deadlines. Most likely your bike came from a production run with a better batch of spokes.

Wow, I really hope this is something they have fixed with the newly arriving batches. I am expecting my AIR sometime in the next week or two. I've heard that they have started using different spokes so my fingers crossed!
I would send Juiced an email and ask what exactly the upgrade is on the spokes. i.e, is the only change that they are black, or are they using Sapim Leader spokes, as with the CrossCurrent S.

I would send Juiced an email and ask what exactly the upgrade is on the spokes. i.e, is the only change that they are black, or are they using Sapim Leader spokes, as with the CrossCurrent S.

The CrossCurrent S page no longer specifies Sapim spokes. I hope they haven't changed back to poor quality spokes.

It would be nice if someone in the know from Juiced would comment on the spokes, as it seems to be a recurring issue just from reading through the forum.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry. Best case scenario is that you'll have a great bike that will give you many trouble free miles, as some people have attested to on this forum. Worst case is a spoke breaking problem like some of us have. But anything on a bike is fixable. I paid $1095 for my bike, and $160 for the wheel rebuild, so in real terms my bike cost me $1,255. Even at $1,255 you cannot find any other bike this good. The bike is running great now. I went on a 30 mile ride yesterday and i'll tell you the CC Air is really a pleasure to ride. In assist level 3, (not sport) you cruise at 25 mph. That's unheard of in this price range. The only thing I'm missing is font suspension. I think my LBS can add it for about $200, so maybe in a few months that might be an upgrade.

Back