Known Issues & Problems with Himiway Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

troehrkasse

EBR Webmaster
Region
USA
City
Fort Collins
No ebike is perfect, this is a thread dedicated to sharing known issues or problems with electric motors from Himiway as well as any help and solutions you know of. Sometimes that means a DIY fix and other times it can mean a recall, software update or part replacement by a dealer.

Please be respectful and constructive with feedback, this is not a space for hate speech. In many cases, representatives from the company will see feedback and use it to improve their product. In the end, the goal is to enjoy riding and help each other go further and be safer.

Purchased a Himiway bike for my wife for Christmas. On her second ride the bike shutdown on a communications error (code 30). Talked with support and they said to check the connection in the communications cable near the sprocket. No luck. Also, this bike has significant power, but it is not very well managed. My wife is having trouble controlling the bike because even the lowest gear (1) results in a significant acceleration when used. Looking for others with experience with these bikes and to find out if there is a solution to the error code. They are telling me to take it to a shop, but I'm in NW Montana and there are no Himiway specific shops anywhere close.

Purchased a Himiway bike for my wife for Christmas. On her second ride the bike shutdown on a communications error (code 30). Talked with support and they said to check the connection in the communications cable near the sprocket. No luck. Also, this bike has significant power, but it is not very well managed. My wife is having trouble controlling the bike because even the lowest gear (1) results in a significant acceleration when used. Looking for others with experience with these bikes and to find out if there is a solution to the error code. They are telling me to take it to a shop, but I'm in NW Montana and there are no Himiway specific shops anywhere close.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it so soon! I'm not sure if there are any Himiway specific shops anywhere, I think they only sell direct. With that said they use a lot of standard components, so any Ebike shop should be able to take a look at it. We have a directory of Ebike shops that you can check out and see if there are any near you: Local Shop Directory. I would say Himiway should definitely reimburse you for any repair costs at a shop!

Hopefully we have some other Himiway owners on here that may be able to chime in.

I hope you were able to find a LBS to take a look at the bike for you and fix the error code. I was able to track down the user manual on the display unit and there are settings which can alter how much "kick" each level will give. Here is the link for the manual.

Himiway put a password to get into the deeper settings. It is "0510" for both P5 and P6 menus to be unlocked.

I am OK with the settings I have for now and haven't felt the need to tweak anything at the moment. I just use the motor inhibitors on the brakes to control the motor in low speed situations. When I'm at a stop light or sign I usually rely on the throttle and ease into pedaling once I get going.

Hope this helps!

Bike shop worked with tech support but couldn't resolve the problem. Had to send bike back at my cost for warranty replacement. Negotiated some compensation, but still ended up costing me an additional $320 for a warranty replacement, plus trips to a bike shop 150 miles away. Horrible experience. Their website says that returns shipping is on you, but doesn't say that in warranty section. Very costly to ship these bikes as an individual. I asked if they could arrange for lower freight cost, but they wouldn't. I won't buy online, and certainly not from them again. As you can see, I don't live near any larger towns. Closest help was 150 miles.... Replacement bike is working so far.....thanks for help on finding manual.

Bike shop worked with tech support but couldn't resolve the problem. Had to send bike back at my cost for warranty replacement. Negotiated some compensation, but still ended up costing me an additional $320 for a warranty replacement, plus trips to a bike shop 150 miles away. Horrible experience. Their website says that returns shipping is on you, but doesn't say that in warranty section. Very costly to ship these bikes as an individual. I asked if they could arrange for lower freight cost, but they wouldn't. I won't buy online, and certainly not from them again. As you can see, I don't live near any larger towns. Closest help was 150 miles.... Replacement bike is working so far.....thanks for help on finding manual.

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've experienced. Thank you for the update and letting us know of your experience. I'm sure many will make a better informed decision from this.

That being said I am having a better experience with my bike and continue to put more miles on everyday. Fortunately, I do have a LBS that is willing to work on my bike should I have an issue. Otherwise I could totally see owning this bike being a complete nightmare.

One observation I've made is that this bike is very close in design to the RAD Rover so I'm thinking that any problems we have with the Himiway might have solutions in the RAD forums. That's how I am approaching this bike since the Himiway users are not that many in number.

Good luck!
20200331_144617.jpg

I hope you were able to find a LBS to take a look at the bike for you and fix the error code. I was able to track down the user manual on the display unit and there are settings which can alter how much "kick" each level will give. Here is the link for the manual.

Himiway put a password to get into the deeper settings. It is "0510" for both P5 and P6 menus to be unlocked.

I am OK with the settings I have for now and haven't felt the need to tweak anything at the moment. I just use the motor inhibitors on the brakes to control the motor in low speed situations. When I'm at a stop light or sign I usually rely on the throttle and ease into pedaling once I get going.

Hope this helps!
Very helpful information. Thank you!

What is the phonetic pronunciation of this brand name 'Himiway' ?
~
Hi me way ? Or
him e way ?
Himee way ?

Thanks

I purchased a pair of Himiway Cruisers in April; received the first one in May and immediately found that the battery would not accept a charge. Contacted their Service Dept by phone only to be told to email to “Ken” at Customer Service. Long story - short, over 3 weeks later a replacement battery arrived. The second bike arrived in the meantime but with no attachment screws. Needed a couple of weeks to get those screws so we could use the second bike. I used the first bike on a couple of local rides to get used to it. A few days later I went on an 8 mile ride and loved the bike, but the next ride of less than 20 miles ended part way when the bike quit running on the way home. Contacted “Ken” again and a protracted process of testing and videos to Ken were performed before a new controller was offered. It took a few weeks to get that part, only to find it didn’t solve the problem, and a replacement motor was offered. It was going to be up to me to disassemble, remove, and install. That was mid-July. It is now early October and no motor! All correspondence from Ken has ceased, and a call to Service says they can’t help and to contact Ken. I’m sorry for the length of this post, but my experience with Himiway Bikes has been terrible. 33 miles total on the bike since May, and a Manufacturer who cannot provide warranty parts for weeks at a time. I hope others will consider carefully when selecting a brand.

PS: Sold the second bike shortly after it arrived since the frame was too tall for my wife to use comfortably.

I purchased a pair of Himiway Cruisers in April; received the first one in May and immediately found that the battery would not accept a charge. Contacted their Service Dept by phone only to be told to email to “Ken” at Customer Service. Long story - short, over 3 weeks later a replacement battery arrived. The second bike arrived in the meantime but with no attachment screws. Needed a couple of weeks to get those screws so we could use the second bike. I used the first bike on a couple of local rides to get used to it. A few days later I went on an 8 mile ride and loved the bike, but the next ride of less than 20 miles ended part way when the bike quit running on the way home. Contacted “Ken” again and a protracted process of testing and videos to Ken were performed before a new controller was offered. It took a few weeks to get that part, only to find it didn’t solve the problem, and a replacement motor was offered. It was going to be up to me to disassemble, remove, and install. That was mid-July. It is now early October and no motor! All correspondence from Ken has ceased, and a call to Service says they can’t help and to contact Ken. I’m sorry for the length of this post, but my experience with Himiway Bikes has been terrible. 33 miles total on the bike since May, and a Manufacturer who cannot provide warranty parts for weeks at a time. I hope others will consider carefully when selecting a brand.

PS: Sold the second bike shortly after it arrived since the frame was too tall for my wife to use comfortably.
Starting to find out Himiway is not so great. We have one that came with no assemble box, no charger, nothing. Waited 4 weeks so far. Just an 85 pound piece of Yard Art for nearly $1,500.

I recently purchased a Himiway Step thru from a friend and have found that I believe there is a problem in the rear hub with the pawls not engaging correctly inducing a "slip" when I pedal. The bike has less than 60 miles on it and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

It is late November and I can now say that the functioning of my Himiway bike has been excellent for over 80 miles since a new motor was installed. Himiway paid a local bike shop's bill for installation and the shipping costs to return the failed part. Communications with Customer Service have been much better. I am hauling the bike south for the winter and will run it a lot, with hopes that I finally received the e-bike I had hoped for. 😎🤞

Hi

Himiway is refusing to change my battery under my 2 year warranty. They are blaming it to poor maintenance. They have also just blocked me on Facebook for requesting help and asking other owners if hey had experienced the same issue. Eric has been helpless from China and only pushing to purchase a new battery rather than exchange it. Buyers be aware of good reviews, they are super filtered.

Hello

Himiway is not standing behind their warranty! ERIC from their customer service in China will reply late in the evening, offering a discount purchase on a bad part, rather than exchange it per warranty! I WAS ALSO BLOCKED FROM FACEBOOK FOR DEMANDING HELP. BUYERS BE AWARE REVIEWS ARE SUPER FILTERED. I HAVE HAD A MUCH BETTER EXPERIENCE WITH RAD POWERS BIKE DEALING WITH A LIVE AGENT IN THE US

Hello

Himiway is not standing behind their warranty! ERIC from their customer service in China will reply late in the evening, offering a discount purchase on a bad part, rather than exchange it per warranty! I WAS ALSO BLOCKED FROM FACEBOOK FOR DEMANDING HELP. BUYERS BE AWARE REVIEWS ARE SUPER FILTERED. I HAVE HAD A MUCH BETTER EXPERIENCE WITH RAD POWERS BIKE DEALING WITH A LIVE AGENT IN THE US
I have had a similar experience with Himiway. Their Facebook page is total BS. There is very little truth. Anything even moderately derogatory about the almighty Himiway is NEVER allowed on the page or deleted quickly.

Fortunately I have found sources on these pages where anything that breaks on the Himiway (including the battery, power unit, etc.) can be purchased for MUCH less than what Himiway charges.

When our Step-Thru arrived it was missing the box of parts needed to assemble it. It took our credit card company intervention issuing us a credit to get Himiway, still some 36 days later to mail us a replacement box.

What we discovered is Himiway has NO actual US presence. The "HELP" phone number goes to a warehouse. They cannot and/or will not help you. When you try to actually find someone is the US, you won't. They are all in China. Their emails are poorly written and make little sense. The ONLY people they have in the US is a few warehouse employees.

All I'm saying is BUYER BEWARE. Unless they make big changes to their "after purchase support" I cannot recommend a Himiway to anyone.

Last edited:
Hi,

You are absolutely right!! You have experienced excatly what I went through as well. Now they have blocked me on FB to seek help ans ask questions. I will have no choice but to use my wife's ans freimds FB to reach out and make a big deal. I do have plan B and I will share when works!!

Hi,

You are absolutely right!! You have experienced excatly what I went through as well. Now they have blocked me on FB to seek help ans ask questions. I will have no choice but to use my wife's ans freimds FB to reach out and make a big deal. I do have plan B and I will share when works!!
It just happened again on Facebook for Himiway. I wish people knew the truth about Himiway. ALL the truth........not just what they allow.

Additional notes from the admins​

Links to competing and unverified forums are not permitted. Sorry

Can you please clarify what you mean ?
? I posted a response to a question that was asked of me on the Himiway Facebook page. I provided a link to come here at this Electric Bike Review Forum........so they could get HONEST answers. The Admin at the Himiway Facebook page deleted my response and the link to here. Himiway does NOT want people coming here because we can discuss the truth here, be it good, bad or otherwise.

Really sorry for this trouble. May I ask did you solve your error problem now? If not, please send an email to our after-sale service at [email protected]. We will help to solve your problem. Sorry, we don't have specific shops currently. Normally, we will suggest customers going to the nearby bike shop to solve the problem if we can not solve it via email.
About controlling the speed, there is a solution for you.
Step1: Press and hold "+" "-" and "i" at the same time for 1-2 seconds until the display changes
Step2: Press and hold "+" "-" and "i" at the same time for 1-2 seconds until the display changes
Step3: Enter the password 0510 and press "i" to confirm the password until the display changes
Step4: Press the “+” key one time so it will have a “2” flashing in the top right and the screen should read “SCA”
Step5: Press the “i” key to enter the screen which should now have a flashing “1-5” on the bottom left.
Step6: Press the “+” or “-” key, until the screen shows a flashing “0-9” on the bottom left.
Step7: Press and hold the “i” key to kick you back to the previous screen which should read “2” and SCA.
Step8: Press and hold the “i” key again until it takes you to the main screen.
Step9: You should now be able to press the “+“ key and it will take pedal-assist to “9” in the top right corner.

Back