Known Issues & Problems with Easy Motion Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Unreal - Found the keys (all 4 together)! Now on to the next step with figuring out the real issue. Glad I don't have to be drilling out the battery lock!

Pins on the LED screen are good, The screw is installed, battery removed and re-inserted, and still no motor power.

When I initially power up the bike, the screen comes up fine, but noticed when I grab the left break (when not riding the bike), error code 5 pops on the screen, but then goes away. When I get on the bike and ride, the error code 5 remains until I turn off the bike. I've tried removing the battery and re-starting, but the same thing happens.

Error code 5 states "If after rebooting the system, the problem does not disappear, it means the motor is damaged. Please contact a BH dealer.

Working on that now...

Thanks for the help here.

Unreal - Found the keys (all 4 together)! Now on to the next step with figuring out the real issue. Glad I don't have to be drilling out the battery lock!

Pins on the LED screen are good, The screw is installed, battery removed and re-inserted, and still no motor power.

When I initially power up the bike, the screen comes up fine, but noticed when I grab the left break (when not riding the bike), error code 5 pops on the screen, but then goes away. When I get on the bike and ride, the error code 5 remains until I turn off the bike. I've tried removing the battery and re-starting, but the same thing happens.

Error code 5 states "If after rebooting the system, the problem does not disappear, it means the motor is damaged. Please contact a BH dealer.

Working on that now...

Thanks for the help here.
Get a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner from Lowes or Home Depot or other. Make sure the one you get states safe for plastics. There are 4 connectors in front of the handlebar, one small one for each brake cutoff, one larger one that unscrews for both the display and the throttle if you have throttle. Unplug them and use the CRC to spray clean each end real good. Let dry and reconnect them. Next is the motor connector under the chainstay, back by the cassette. Unplug that and clean with CRC. I would also clean the display pins and base.

If that doesn't clear the communication error 5, check and clean all the connectors of the controller.

20170107_195812.png

The above is where the controller is located.

20170107_200115.png

This is your controller. Not all connections are used on all models. Clean all and reconnect.

If all this fails you likely need a new controller or display.

Get a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner from Lowes or Home Depot or other. Make sure the one you get states safe for plastics. There are 4 connectors in front of the handlebar, one small one for each brake cutoff, one larger one that unscrews for both the display and the throttle if you have throttle. Unplug them and use the CRC to spray clean each end real good. Let dry and reconnect them. Next is the motor connector under the chainstay, back by the cassette. Unplug that and clean with CRC. I would also clean the display pins and base.

If that doesn't clear the communication error 5, check and clean all the connectors of the controller.
View attachment 56434 The above is where the controller is located.
View attachment 56435 This is your controller. Not all connections are used on all models. Clean all and reconnect.
If all this fails you likely need a new controller or display.

Nice write-up... bravo!

Perfect - Thank You J.R.!
Greg- I have had similar issues with my BH Evo Jet error codes. The contact cleaner works great, especially applied to the torque sensor located near the rear cassette cog. Working/exercising the interface pins is also helpful. In addition, I swapped out the oval shaped interface with a heads up center mount display. It is basically plug and play. The functionality of the new unit is much more efficient and reliable. Good Luck!

1592943044356.png

Thank you Bob! You guys have all such good answers and it is so good to be here.

I have been busy and haven't started with the cleaning yet as JR indicated I need a few hours to take all apart and clean. The bike is like brand new, so clean with 49 miles on it.

I will try all the suggestions and hopefully get some results. I have reached out to the bike shop where purchased and I just keep getting silence there.

Thank you, Greg

Thank you Bob! You guys have all such good answers and it is so good to be here.

I have been busy and haven't started with the cleaning yet as JR indicated I need a few hours to take all apart and clean. The bike is like brand new, so clean with 49 miles on it.

I will try all the suggestions and hopefully get some results. I have reached out to the bike shop where purchased and I just keep getting silence there.

Thank you, Greg
Very welcome Greg. Always glad to help and great to be able to play it forward. It can be frustrating at times, however, getting to the resolution makes it all worth the extra tinkering. My BH was my very 1st E-bike purchase. Working out all the kinks was a good way to start the learning curve wit these awesome machines. I would also like to give kudos to Will at @Scooteretti in this thread. BTW-If you work the contacts, best to use the hollow end of a refillable lead pencil.

Ok, I sourced a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner (plastic safe). The battery was removed to prevent any issues with power while working on the bike and the
4 connectors in front of the handlebar where cleaned.

The motor connector under the chainstay, back by the cassette is of interest. It has long pins and a very tight connection, and is held together with some clips. The moment the clips were removed, the cable separated by itself. I may want to find a more secure way to attach this connection as it appears to be in constant tension. See attached pictures.

I have also cleaned the display pins and base.

Before moving any further with checking operation or cleaning of the controller I found another disconcerting issue.

At the base, where the battery fits into the bike frame, the plastic is cracked. You can see the wear on the attaching screws where the battery sits on this cracked plastic piece. See additional pictures.

I have basic tools to work on the bike, but all my tools (star drivers and sockets) are at a different location where I and rebuilding my jeep currently. Until next weekend when I can get my tools, I will hold off on removing the parts above (controller) and below (cracked plastic base) to look further into cleaning all connections.

JR - Thank you for your informative write-up with pictures! I will post responses with pictures so perhaps others can see and use the directives you've provided.
IMG_7678R.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7683R.jpg
    IMG_7683R.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_5544.jpg
    IMG_5544.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_7684R.jpg
    IMG_7684R.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 508
Ok, I sourced a can of CRC electrical contact cleaner (plastic safe). The battery was removed to prevent any issues with power while working on the bike and the
4 connectors in front of the handlebar where cleaned.

The motor connector under the chainstay, back by the cassette is of interest. It has long pins and a very tight connection, and is held together with some clips. The moment the clips were removed, the cable separated by itself. I may want to find a more secure way to attach this connection as it appears to be in constant tension. See attached pictures.

I have also cleaned the display pins and base.

Before moving any further with checking operation or cleaning of the controller I found another disconcerting issue.

At the base, where the battery fits into the bike frame, the plastic is cracked. You can see the wear on the attaching screws where the battery sits on this cracked plastic piece. See additional pictures.

I have basic tools to work on the bike, but all my tools (star drivers and sockets) are at a different location where I and rebuilding my jeep currently. Until next weekend when I can get my tools, I will hold off on removing the parts above (controller) and below (cracked plastic base) to look further into cleaning all connections.

JR - Thank you for your informative write-up with pictures! I will post responses with pictures so perhaps others can see and use the directives you've provided.View attachment 57025

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a controller for this bike? I have gotten nowhere with the vendor or manufacturer.

Hi all,

I have a BH Evo Cross+, and I am missing the rear thru axle. Anyone know the size or how I can replace?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 4.55.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 4.55.42 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
i'm looking to buy a used/new BH Easy Motion Evo HUB motor ebike for parts . Anybody willing to sell ??

You want my Nitro in Atlanta? 3 batteries, the bike works some , motor doesn’t cut off after pedaling unless you brake

A note about BH chargers with detachable AC cords: my 8-year-old EVO 36V charger started acting up. It would shut off after a couple minutes of charging, making a relay clicking sound and the red light just went off.

I tried greasing all the DC-side contacts with dielectric spray, and wiggled the contacts and jammed the AC cord into the charger tightly, but nothing helped.

My friend had a look and noticed that the AC cord female contacts were loose and blackened, and it wasn't making good contact which made the charger shut off. Replacing the AC cord with a fresh one fixed the issue entirely.

He also looked inside the charger and said it looked great even after all these years and hundreds of charge cycles.
It's also a rather generic 42V nominal lithium charger, and you could possibly buy a similarly rated 3rd party charger and just solder the BH DC side cord onto it.

edit: the charger died, the input cord was just a coincidence probably. Got a new one from doctibike, and used the old charger as a donor to make a second charger out of a generic one, as seen here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/can-any-kind-soul-please-help.50554/#post-600827

Last edited:
Back