Known Issues & Problems with Brose Products + Help, Solutions & Fixes

Videos (one Court's) on Vado/Como operation suggest after hearing battery click into place, give the battery a firm slap to assure it has fully seated. Before I doing this on my Vado I would have occasional motor cuts outs, as if the battery had giggle room.

Thanks!! I've watched the video and I will try that!

Second Motor Failure Brose mag S 2019 Turbo Levo S Works same problem (as far as I can Tell) belt failure. Belt slips on the splines and then no drive motor free wheels as you pedal as all the sensors are still working but no assistance!

Anyone?

I have a 2018 BULLS ESTREAM EVO 45 FS 27 28MPH that has about 2000 miles and the motor just died with that whining noise and no power.
Thankfully it may be covered by warranty, and Brose has been great with customer service, however, at about $1000 for a motor swap every 2000 to 2500 miles
there has to be a better answer.
Worst case scenario is there a place like https://www.performancelinebearings.com in the UK that is here in the US?
I don't mind spending $200 every two years on a rebuild but not $1000.
Anyone have any suggestions or it's time to start shopping for another manufacturer than Brose? This appears to be a serious Brose issue
and not some anomaly of a few users.

Now I'm becoming concerned.
I'm having the exact same issue with my Bulls Evo 45 2017 I'm on my 5th Brose motor seems to go every 2500miles.. I ride my bike every single day so this is every 3 months..and it takes me a month to get the motor from Bulls since I'm in New York.. and there in California. Has anyone seen a fix or update from them because although Bulls is extremely helpful they seemed perplexed by the nature of the Bros Motors design flaw..

My guess is the "laser gun" for reading your Brose motor temp quickly is really this gizmo, https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Las...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

$16 on Amazon. And my works just fine.

Have begun hearing new sound from my Brose (Vado 3.0) motor, and am concerned with mileage just going past 2,500. Present is a grating sound seeming to emanate from the left side and noticeable on hard hill climbs. Also when the motor is turned off, pedaling is very heavy, too heavy. Took a crash while executing a 180 turn when I lost speed as the the bike to not respond to controlled pedal pressure.

Are these the sort of things you have been experiencing as a prelude to motor failure?

Have begun hearing new sound from my Brose (Vado 3.0) motor, and am concerned with mileage just going past 2,500. Present is a grating sound seeming to emanate from the left side and noticeable on hard hill climbs. Also when the motor is turned off, pedaling is very heavy, too heavy. Took a crash while executing a 180 turn when I lost speed as the the bike to not respond to controlled pedal pressure.

Are these the sort of things you have been experiencing as a prelude to motor failure?

A follow up after 500 additional miles, the grating attributed above to the Brose motor, turned out to have come from grating between the battery and casing/frame which was flexing under load. A bit of silicone grease at contact spot solved that problem, as it has not returned in several hundred miles.

Pedaling without motor assist remains an issue as it is still seems very heavy. However, mitigating the problem is the fact my conditioning has declined since switching from an analog bike and today pedaling analog is also heavier than previously. On the other side, there is residual evidence the Brose motor is contributing. That is, with motor and pedaling hard down a very slight downgrade, when I stop pedaling there is an instantaneous slight increase in speed, as if one were releasing the breaks. Have been to LBS who says no problem per motor diagnostics program.

I have the 2017 version of the brose in an atom x Lynx 6 with 540 miles on it. Last week it cut off halfway into two different rides with alot of steep climbing. Yesterday had no power at the start,but then worked for about 5 minutes an hour later,before cutting off after a steep climb.
I guess either the belt or the motor is on it's way out ? So I took it out today for 6 miles and left it in level two,without any steep climbing. It never cut off.

Last edited:
My LBS is an excellent wrench and a Raleigh dealer. He told me the major issue with Brose motors is diagnosing problems. He said some issues can't be easily identified and the motor must be removed from the bike and shipped to a regional distributor for repair. Bosch and Shimano problems are identified with diagnostic software at a local dealership who can usually fix it.

He told me for now Raleigh has stopped using Brose motors for this reason; it's easier for them and customers to have a system that can usually be serviced locally. He told me Brose is in the process of developing their system to be more locally repairable. I hope so because they are my favorite of the three I've tried.
I bought an iZip Moda (same as Raleigh Redux). I love it and have 1200 miles on it. I just hope it is reliable and lasts long as I love it and think the Brose system is the best (most natural feeling) mid drive system out there (also quietest). I am concerned because a friend has an iZip moda and he has about 900 miles on it and it has failed already. The problem hasn't been diagnosed yet, but he thinks the belt is slipping.

I have the 2017 version of the brose in an atom x Lynx 6 with 540 miles on it. Last week it cut off halfway into two different rides with alot of steep climbing. Yesterday had no power at the start,but then worked for about 5 minutes an hour later,before cutting off after a steep climb.
I guess either the belt or the motor is on it's way out ? So I took it out today for 6 miles and left it in level two,without any steep climbing. It never cut off.

I have the same bike, any more issues?

I have had similar problems. The first, the motor cut out while riding, no display no power, nothing. restarted a few minutes/seconds later. Motor replaced under warranty, no idea of what the problem was. The second, the motor had no power but the display was up and running. Problem seemed to be that the 2 pins connecting the battery to the motor were not making full contact. Problem solved by pressing the pins a number of times which excercised the springs, and applying a good spray of DI-electric grease.

After the fourth brose motor failure (11,000 miles) on my 2018 Vado, Cynergy / Specialized offered me a bike swap for a 2020 Vado 5.0 and sent me this clip of text:

" - last motor we replaced was from order# XXXXXX in Dec./Jan. I did open a Quality investigation (QPR) about the belt issues and there was apparently an issue with some of the belts that Brose was using. They have fixed this issue. However, we have likely seen this issue again with this customer because we only ever got one initial shipment of the correct replacement motor (the 1.2S motor / S176800005) for this customer from Brose and that was a pretty early on shipment from quite a while ago.

As for the warranty, any replacement part, example being the motor sent out in Dec./Jan., comes with a new warranty. So, the last replacement warranty ships out with a new 2-year warranty on the motor. "

This was helpful information. It was also nice to hear that the replacement motors would have a rolling warranty of 2 years. I'm not certain if this 2 year warranty is a Brose or Specialized warranty.

I'm now 3100 miles into my 2020 Vado 5.0 and I have had no motor problems. I've replaced the chain every 1100 miles and the cassette every 3100 miles.

The bike still has some electrical connection concerns where the assist is lost. This can sometimes occur after going over a bump. It now manifests this disconnect by displaying 'no battery' on the display which does not mean it needs a new battery. My fix includes restarting the bike, taking out and reinstalling the battery, and cleaning the magnet on the rear rotor. If all that fails, I have Cynergy (LBS) install a new shim in the battery housing which usually does the job.

Camac was right on the money, the contact points where the battery fits inside the downtube just needed to be adjusted. Thanks !

I've got a one year old BH Atom X with a Brose S motor and about 2,000 miles on it. Doing a steep hill climb on maximum assist and I heard a screeching sound and the pedals locked up. I turned off the motor and was able to pedal back home, but anytime the controller was on, the motor completely locked up the pedals. It was covered by warranty. Hope I'm not going to have a recurring 2,000-2,500 mile problem!

Yikes, I hope that doesn't happen to me. I have 1500 miles on my Brose motor so far and it has been fine. However, I need to go to my LBS and ask them if they will check the tension on the idler pulley for the belt. I read a post that nearly all of the iZip bikes like mine in the year it was manufactured did not have the tension set properly on the belt in the Brose motor.

I’m new here and having an issue with my 2017 Raleigh Redux iE with Brose motor.
The head unit (monitor) stopped working suddenly and no power to the motor.
I had another bike to check my monitor and my battery and they worked fine On another bike. I installed the working units from the second bike and the head unit would not come on and the battery does turn on, but no power to the motor. It means that the monitor and battery is fine, but I have some sort of issue(s) on my bike itself.
I did my first check by checking all the connectors including the battery connections and connectors at the motor by removing the non drive side cover). They were all fine and well connected without any corrosions or defects. So I went to further by dismantling the base unit where the monitor attaches to the bike. I checked all the spring tensions on the small attachments and cleaned the contact points, but no luck....
then I did notice a loose wire (Orange color) at the motor as you can see on the attached photo. I can’t find where it came off from.
There is no sign of where it might have been.
Is this wire always loose inside?
If anyone familiar with this type of problem and where this wire should go and it’s causing the issues I am having please help!
I moved to Japan last year and there is no e-bike dealers that handles Brose motor in my area. Therefore, I would like to find out what’s causing my issues and resolve it before going to spend a lot of money and have to take this bike a part and send the motor to a dealer in California.
Here is what’s happening.
1) Battery is fine. It charges fine and it turns on normally. I installed it on the second bike and it runs fine on it
2) the monitor does not power up when I turn on the battery. No matter what button I push it won’t turn on and no power to the motor. I did install on the second bike and it turns on and works fine on the second bike
3) There is a loose orange color wire under the exterior motor cover. Unfortunately I can’t check the second bike since I have sold it last year and I don’t know where it is now. Is this the cause of my problem? But there is no visible location where it came off from

Please see my photos and let me know if you know anything about this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EB21A0C2-1F7B-4519-A62C-C52802461A93.jpeg
    EB21A0C2-1F7B-4519-A62C-C52802461A93.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 619
  • A06D6970-18FF-4468-B879-1CD0B73DD02A.jpeg
    A06D6970-18FF-4468-B879-1CD0B73DD02A.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 651
  • E0E48B73-F1AD-46F5-996C-CA0A23192A2B.jpeg
    E0E48B73-F1AD-46F5-996C-CA0A23192A2B.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 598
After talking extensively with my local bike dealer/mechanic, he seems tepid towards Brose. He said Haibike and Raleigh plan to use Bosch, Shimano, and Yamaha for the immediate future because they're more reliable and repairable. Brose seems nice while it lasts, but unfortunately in many cases that doesn't seem to be very long.

Last edited:
After talking extensively with my local bike dealer/mechanic, he seems tepid towards Brose. He said Haibike and Raleigh plan to use Brose, Shimano, and Yamaha for the immediate future because they're more reliable and repairable. Brose seems nice while it lasts, but unfortunately in many cases that doesn't seem to be very long.

Hmm, On this very forum I have read posts from quite a few people with very reliable Brose systems. One man says that he has gone 10,000 miles 3 times on his bike. He sends the motor in for service every 10,000 miles as recommended. Others are near to reaching the 10000 mile mark.

I hope mine is reliable and I am sorry about your problem. I think your bike is identical to mine as mine is a 2007 iZip Moda which is the same bike as the Raleigh Redux. I have 1500 miles on mine so far. Also unfortunately, Covid-19 has greatly cut into my biking, normally I would have about 400 miles by this time in May, but this year I only have 177 miles so far.

Back