Kinds of ebike throttles.

MrCaspan

So my thumb throttle seems to be going. The type that I have is the thumb one and you press down. Because I have a fat tire mountain bike I am pretty rough with it and when you are pressing the throttle down and take it off small jumps the thumb throttle gets jammed down when you hit the ground. I have broke the bottom stop and the throttle goes further then it should now so if I press it down all that way I only seem to get 1/2 throttle. So I was looking at a replacement throttle and was curious what other would recommend if I am trail ridding and I'm doing small jumps. I feel like another thumb throttle the same issue will happen so I was looking at a half twist throttle. Another question I have is, when I was a kid on the farm we had a 3 wheeler and it had a thumb throttle on it that hung under the handle bar and you pressed it towards the front to make it go. I think this would be much better option to thumb up and down or a half twist. Do these even exist? Anyways I have a bafang 3 pin waterproof Juliet connector so that's the style I am looking for. Would love any opinions.Also I'm in Canada if that matters.

This is the kind of throttle the 3wheeler had
IMG_4333.jpg

Last edited:
One hack I saw that looked promising for MTB was to mount a left sweep thumb trigger on the right in reverse so it is a 'pull configuration'. Same could be done with a right sweep thumb on the left for a left side trigger.

The landing force will tend to either maintain or release the pressure on the trigger as opposed to shock load it. it also forces you to release the trigger when you move to cover the brakes, so less chance of a panic twist that can sometimes happen with a twist grip.

Honestly the more I have been thinking about it I have thought about just installing a button that's either 100% throttle or off and just use the Assist level to set my top speed right now my push throttle is not variable it's either on or off maybe it's a cheep one and it should be variable but I have got used to 100% on or off for the throttle over the last year!

One hack I saw that looked promising for MTB was to mount a left sweep thumb trigger on the right in reverse so it is a 'pull configuration'. Same could be done with a right sweep thumb on the left for a left side trigger.

The landing force will tend to either maintain or release the pressure on the trigger as opposed to shock load it. it also forces you to release the trigger when you move to cover the brakes, so less chance of a panic twist that can sometimes happen with a twist grip.
That's right that they can be placed left or right. With an internal combustion powered device you are continually reminded that it is on. But with an electric bike it is silent when ON and stationary. That is when a twist throttle is dangerous. When someone tries to move the bike by grabbing the grip when it is on indoors. One guy I saw was trying to take his bike out a glass door when it was ON and it went flying.

My Bafang on the Espin Sport had a left thumb sweep throttle. I like that it takes up less space on the handlebars.

Found one on Amazon, just have to wait for it to ship from China but decent price

Even though the 3 pin Julet connector looks the same, there is no wiring standard. I would check the pinout configuration with a meter before connecting the product. You could damage the controller or throttle if the wiring is incorrect.

Even though the 3 pin Julet connector looks the same, there is no wiring standard. I would check the pinout configuration with a meter before connecting the product. You could damage the controller or throttle if the wiring is incorrect.
@6zfshdb Thanks, I would hope 5v would not fry anything if plugged in backwards but I hear what you are saying. I'll play with the old throttle to ensure and test. Just for other people if they don't know most throttles twist or thumb are analog. The 3 wires are 5v, ground and then a line that changes between 0-5v in reference to ground as you press the throttle. It's just a simple sliding pot that as you press the throttle reduces the resistance and allows through the 5v source. Then I'm not sure if the controller does this or circuit in the throttle cuts out the top and bottom 1v so your controller really only hears 1v-4v on that line. I read that this was to prevent noise to prevent a jumpy throttle when pressed and to take away that on/off at full throttle.

Last edited:
@6zfshdb Thanks, I would hope 5v would not fry anything if plugged in backwards but I hear what you are saying. I'll play with the old throttle to ensure and test. Just for other people most throttles are analog the 3 wires are 5v, Ground and then a line that goes between 0-5v in reference to ground as you press the throttle down. Then I'm not sure if the controller does this or circuit in the throttle cuts out the top and bottom 1v so your controller really only hears 1v-4v on that line. I read that this was to prevent noise to prevent a jumpy throttle when pressed and to take away that on/off at full throttle.
Plus, Minus and signal are the 3 leads. I'm not sure what would happen if you reversed the polarity.

sorry I completely forgot to update this post. I ended up finding a good one on Amazon and it works amazing and works with the connectors that I have

https://a.co/d/djaUi2L

it works really well and I actually like this way better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221022-103411.png
    Screenshot_20221022-103411.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 96
I'm glad you found a solution to the problem.

If you're comfortable working with throttle wiring and have some soldering skills, you can make a cruise control for the bike. Here's a link to a thread on how I made mine:

Back