Killer Slopes

ghmb

I am exploring ebikes for my wife and I, we live on acreage in the norcal hills and have a driveway that is 1/2 mile long with slopes ranging from 10-15 degrees, that's up to a 27% grade. I like the idea of a Rad Rover but at 750w hub and 80nm is that enough? Any insights or recommendations?

The Rover will have a decent amount of grunt for sure. Whether it'll be enough for your driveway will likely depend on your weight. For more available hill climbing torque/power the mid drive bikes are known to climb better due to the granny gear available. They're also well known to jack up the price of the bike.....

I can say this. Whatever you are doing on your regular bike an ebike should at least double it. Don't buy that bit that you will arrive at work refreshed and sweat free. It's definitely easier but, in my experience, you'll still get a workout if you live in the mountains

I am exploring ebikes for my wife and I, we live on acreage in the norcal hills and have a driveway that is 1/2 mile long with slopes ranging from 10-15 degrees, that's up to a 27% grade. I like the idea of a Rad Rover but at 750w hub and 80nm is that enough? Any insights or recommendations?
That's my situation exactly. I've only tried to make it up my driveway twice and been unable to do it. I might be able with enough effort when I"m in my top form, but my solution has been to rack my bike up and down and ride elsewhere. Or I walk up. I get a lot of good riding in and really enjoy my Rover.

TT

Wondering if even a Bafang Ultra 1000w 160nm would make it up the hills with our 15 degree (27%) slope. Does walk mode help?

FWIW, I'm an old guy and my driveway is gravel, both of which are important factors. I'm not sure about my slopes, I should measure them, but I'm sure I have a couple of sections that are at least 15°. All that said, someone in better shape than me might be able to make it up. <hrumph>Lance Armstrong</hrumph>

A thousand watt motor would probably help.

TT

my bike with a dapu 500 watt mid drive at 16 degrees was a fair amount of work but doable. 16 degrees is pretty hard on my Bosch speed. but below that I would be spinning up it. A mid drive would work for sure.

Wondering if even a Bafang Ultra 1000w 160nm would make it up the hills with our 15 degree (27%) slope. Does walk mode help?

The 250 w big brand mid drives can climb anything you're good enough to keep the front wheel down on. The limitations are rider ability and bike geometry , not motor wattevers OR nuovo marketings (nm) .

ok, there is also quality of power delivery once you get to a REALY technical climb - but we're splitting hairs for elite mtb riders now

I have 2 bikes and both are Mid drives BBSHD and Ultra G510 1000W both bikes and after playing with the programming a lot I am sure either one would go up any hill you could probability think of or at least everything I have found so far they have gone up them the only time they would not is because of Traction issue on the trails I ride.

I had the wrong tires for riding in that sort of terrain and it was quite a bit mushy that day and had to walk it a few times so I learned my lesson when it comes to tires for traction .

But it was a lot of fun finding my way out I had to use my Phone on google maps to get out of there.

The tires you see on the bikes now were NOT on them at the time of the excursion into the trails

The Ultra (black bike) I have Spider tires (heavy but does great in everything including 1 FT of snow like butter.

The green one I mostly use for local street riding and mild bike trails in the parks ( Both 48V 17ah )

Attachments

• Duke.jpg
    Duke.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 453
  • FX 1000.jpg
    FX 1000.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 499
I am exploring ebikes for my wife and I, we live on acreage in the norcal hills and have a driveway that is 1/2 mile long with slopes ranging from 10-15 degrees, that's up to a 27% grade.
I like the idea of a Rad Rover but at 750w hub and 80nm is that enough? Any insights or recommendations?

With a 27% grade, a Mid-drive motor is the logical answer. ;)

What type of bike are you looking for... commuter, hybrid, etc.

My 1200 W 48 v ebikeling geared hub motor will start me and 60 lb supplies on a 15% grade. That is 330 lb gross. It will level out at 4 mph if I start from a dead stop on the grade, but will run 10 if I start the grade at 15. Don't have 27% to try that. BTW he doesn't sell those anymore.
No built up bike should have that much power as they are now illegal in about 30 states. The bike wheel kits may still be available. I converted my bike, shown left.
Read known problems about rad before purchase. I find the monthly torque check recommended for the spokes rediculous. Better rad should test the spokes before assembly to see if they are made of steel or lead/copper/iron. The pedals haven't come loose from the bike left either in 4000 miles, that cost about 30% more than a Radwagon.

Last edited:
the bigger bafang motors will handle this without question, BBSHD or Ultra.
Rover is not ideal for this kind of hill climbing. check out Biktrix,BPM imports and Frey, they all have Ultra and or BBSHD equipped bikes starting at around 2400 for the BPM F1000 Ultra.

Any Bosch CX motor will climb it with some help from your input. I have climbed a one mile hill at 18% using the Active ,Active Plus and Performance CX motors. They all made it but the 40 nm Active was challenging. The 50 nm Active Plus was no problem but slow , and the 75 nm CX was pretty easy.

With that steep of grade and loose gravel I would NOT consider ANY bike on the market no matter who makes it unless its a MID DRIVE ONLY.

Specs your looking for are at least 500W Mid Drive 48 or 52 Volt and at least 14ah or more battery any thing other than these specs your gonna NOT be
happy. I used to have a couple Hub drive bikes but even when they were 750W they just did not perform very well when it came to trails with even a small hill they just did not perform to my expectations and was not happy at all.

Then someone told me about the Mid Drive kit that was available BBSHD and so I invested in one and put it on my first Kit bike which was this one ( PIX Below ) and ever since then I never went back to a hub motor again . It just out preforms anything out there.
Its about 6 years old now and still going strong NO PROBLEMS. (160 nM Torque)

So in conclusion MID DRIVE all the way Trust me you will be much happier especially in the long run when you realize after getting one there is pretty much NOTHING you CAN'T do with it. ENJOY and Good Luck.

FYI I am about 225 lbs Bike 68 lbs with Backpack Full 330 lbs I carry tools and everything I need if ever get anything broke on trails.

Attachments

• Duke.jpg
    Duke.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Back