Keeping it Secure

drewberz

Since I have started to use my e-bike for more general use (eg runs to grocery store) to see if I can eliminate the truck, I've become more concerned with security. I just backed this project: Boomerang V.2

Anyone else using their bike as a primary vehicle? Any tips/tricks to keeping their bike secure?

Last edited:
I don't drive anything but u-haul trucks anymore. Under 60 lb, it goes on the cargo bike. I put on over 2000 miles per year I estimate.
Make sure the front wheel is not too light. My previous mountain bikes with baskets in the bike, would be 20 lb front 120 lb rear without me on it. I had a lot of trouble with the front tire jamming sideways on obstructions - a stick, a pavement separator 2.5 " high, a ridge of gravel in a construction zone, a speed bump I dindn't see at night. Would rip the handlebar out of my hands. Threw me over the handle bars each time. Advice on roadbikereview.com "hold onto the handle bars". Yeah, glad they all are real he-men. The cargo bike left puts more of my weight on the front axle.
Other big tips- stay off main roads, especially ones where people are turning left a lot or looking for parking spaces (like all Wal-mart parking lots IMHO). Don't pass people on the right. When in the right lane going pass a turn off to the right, look left & behind to make sure somebody is not ready to turn right on top of you. Make sure there is at least a foot to left of you to cars passing at 55 mph or faster.
Don't ride on ice, or days when snow pushed into the bike lane has turned to ice. Wear suitable clothing when cold (below 10 deg F). Like farmer gloves or mittens. Drink enough on hot days, and if pulse gets over 120 when not straining, stop and rest in the shade.

Last edited:
I don't drive anything but u-haul trucks anymore. Under 60 lb, it goes on the cargo bike. I put on over 2000 miles per year I estimate.
Make sure the front wheel is not too light. My previous mountain bikes with baskets in the bike, would be 20 lb front 120 lb rear without me on it. I had a lot of trouble with the front tire jamming sideways on obstructions - a stick, a pavement separator 2.5 " high, a ridge of gravel in a construction zone, a speed bump I dindn't see at night. Would rip the handlebar out of my hands. Threw me over the handle bars each time. Advice on roadbikereview.com "hold onto the handle bars". Yeah, glad you all are real he-men.
Other big tips- stay off main roads, especially ones where people are turning left a lot or looking for parking spaces (like all Wal-mart parking lots IMHO). Don't pass people on the right. When in the right lane going pass a turn off to the right, look left & behind to make sure somebody is not ready to turn right on top of you. Make sure there is at least a foot to left of you to cars passing at 55 mph or faster.
Don't ride on ice, or days when snow pushed into the bike lane has turned to ice. Wear suitable clothing when cold (below 10 deg F). Like farmer gloves or mittens. Drink enough on hot days, and if pulse gets over 120 when not straining, stop and rest in the shade.

I edited the thread to clarify I'm talking about keeping the bike secure. These are all great tips riding safely though! In CA they have a 3ft rule, and I think drivers have become more aware of it since it has been instated...I've drafted a car before and got into an accident (they turned right, presumably didn't see me), so ever since, no riding next to cars when I'm at their same speed.

Good rules to LIVE by.

I'm not a fan of GPS type devices. Another device to keep charged. Usually involves a monthly fee too. I've been to horrible places, such as downtown Los Angeles and left my bike for an entire day and it was still there. Locking it up properly is a big key! Have no idea why Frame Locks aren't more common in the U.S. I love 'em! I use the frame lock with the chain and this is is how I lock it up. The part I'm holding goes around a secure pole. With this chain, I have secured the front wheel and the frame, and the frame lock also secures the rear wheel. I usually add a good u-lock as well (depending on the area and how long I'll be gone). Of course, any lock can be broken. An angle grinder would take less than 5 minutes. But it's not easy and difficult. Technically, they have to cut through a quality U-lock, cut through the chain, and cut through the frame lock. Chances are they'll move to another bike.

BTW, I also have special e-bike insurance too. I use my bike for everything. My car barely gets driven. Living in Los Angeles, traffic is horrendous. I get places much faster with my bike. And it's more fun!

I have a hefty lock-but it's just that, hefty! It must weigh 20+ lbs. I forgot the links type but it is a beast.

The insurance is intriguing. How much is your policy/what's your coverage?

I live in a condo with a subterranean garage. I use the Frame lock, the chain that plugs into the frame lock, a U-lock, and a really long 12mm hardened chain that wraps around a concrete pillar. They are all made by Abus and cost over $500 in locks and chains. Los Angeles area is horrible with break-ins. We've had multiple break-ins in to our subterranean garage. So I went over board!

My home and car insurance is with State Farm. Neither covers an e-bike because it's "motorized". Many people think their e-bikes are covered with their home owners insurance and they are usually wrong. Home owners coverage protects bicycles, not e-bikes. After much research with my agent, she found State Farm has a separate policy specifically for e-bikes. It's costing me $150/year for up to $3,000 loss. No deductible. BUT, the underwriters had a lot of questions about my residence and where I leave my bike. I had to send them pictures before they issued the policy. This is one of the pics.

You can also buy insurance through other companys, such as Velosurance. Although they were more expensive than State Farm (maybe because I already have other insurance through them) and had a deductible.

Pick a place to live where any thief wouldn't be caught dead riding a bicycle. Riding girl's bike maybe helps, and if I could arrange a Hello Kitty logo on the seat I'd install one.
I cable the frame to telephone poles, gas meters, live electrical conduits, or cart racks at the store. It is a 12 mm cable and a grade 11 master lock. Yes, you could cut through it in 5 minutes with a battery grinder. Nobody has yet. The cable is long enough to also secure the $200 full face helmet with the same hitch. The tools I carry in a kiddie pencil box in the pannier, and haven't been tampered with yet either.
Since the motor+battery was self installed the whole rig was $2800, less than the deductable on my homeowner's insurance. While I've been chased down by an e-bike owner that lost his black Pedego
fat tire bike from over his fence in the back yard, an electric green cargo bike doesn't have the same cool factor. The battery install looks like it was done at Sanford & Sons, and is a definite "whazzat?"

Back