Just want to say thanks

Fleck

to everyone for all your comments and help. Though I’ve never asked anything in here and just recently joined, I’ve been on this site and this forum for months. I have read through a lot of the questions that others have had and the answers you guys have given. Combined with all the work put into this site, it’s truly been a great resource.

After a year of searching, I finally decided to get the 2017 trekking 5.0. I’ve had it narrowed down to that and the trek super commuter for the last month but recently found a great deal on the Haibike and decided to save the money. If there’s anything I should know, let me know. Again, big thanks!

I agree Fleck! I’ve lurked here for a bit also. Like you, I also decided to get a Haibike after spending a month or two researching. I got a 2018 SDURO FullSeven 9.0.

Mike

Attachments

• 30D589AC-CA01-4C37-9BB1-09878AF5BF73.jpeg
    30D589AC-CA01-4C37-9BB1-09878AF5BF73.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 539
Great info Jayvee. I haven’t gotten the bike so it may make sense when I get it, but right now I don’t understand what you mean with using zip ties on the brake levers. Thanks a lot!

Also, I got the 5.0 with the Yamaha. Some of that decision was what I read on here, but mostly I got a deal too good to pass up. Much less than half of what the cost of the super commuter was going to cost at my LBS. I’m also 6’5 so I was limited in what I can buy.

I'll explain. But first of all, whatever you do, DON'T pull down on the brake levers to test what I'm saying below!

The brake levers have a return spring. Under certain circumstances the brake lever's spring will pop out in order to prevent you from getting hurt. But afterwards, the lever will sag down because the spring has been displaced and it won't return to its normal place. It's a real mess to get the spring back in place...

Mine keep popping out even when the brake lever is not pushed downwards (again, please don't try it!). So to prevent this from happening, I've put some loose zip ties that go from the handlebar and loop through the lever. Like that I don't have to keep going back to the LBS (or spend 2 hours tinkering with it).

Hopefully the pic below will make it clear where the zip ties are. If your springs start popping out accidentally, I'd recommend putting in the zip tie.

View attachment 27708
Ok, I think I can see what you mean. The brake levers somewhat disconnect like a pair of vice grips from what I understand, but you can stop it by using the zip ties just snug enough to hold them in place and prevent this from happening?

Is it something that I should preemptively do or just do if it happens. Really appreciate everything you’ve put into this forum. I’d already read some of the links you posted.

Last edited:
I agree Fleck! I’ve lurked here for a bit also. Like you, I also decided to get a Haibike after spending a month or two researching. I got a 2018 SDURO FullSeven 9.0.

Mike
Jalpa- Sweet looking bike. I was considering the 8.0 Carbon Hard Seven. How do you like the overall performance of your bike ie: Bosch CX, brakes, suspension, etc? Does it meet all of your expectations? Ride safe!

Jalpa- Sweet looking bike. I was considering the 8.0 Carbon Hard Seven. How do you like the overall performance of your bike ie: Bosch CX, brakes, suspension, etc? Does it meet all of your expectations? Ride safe!

I love it. My first ebike. Just started getting back into biking again after many years of an older Specialized Rock Hopper. Spent time looking at Pedego Elevate (we have a dealer in town). That was also the only ebike I test rode. It was nice, but I liked the features of the Haibike better.

I’m sort of drawn to “foreign” stuff. Sometimes I have to decide if I want to ride German or drive Italian! LOL!!!!

Mike

Attachments

• 9B3086D8-970B-43B9-80CD-04EAF32495AE.jpeg
    9B3086D8-970B-43B9-80CD-04EAF32495AE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 531
I love it. My first ebike. Just started getting back into biking again after many years of an older Specialized Rock Hopper. Spent time looking at Pedego Elevate (we have a dealer in town). That was also the only ebike I test rode. It was nice, but I liked the features of the Haibike better.

I’m sort of drawn to “foreign” stuff. Sometimes I have to decide if I want to ride German or drive Italian! LOL!!!!

Mike
Awesomeness! Very jealous.

Mike

Mike-
WTF-A Lambo and a Haibike!! Life does not get much better than this indeed. Way to go on your selections. Yeah, the Elevate is also one of my favorites as well and also from a very well respected company with many satisfied customers. I have to agree though, the Haibike design is really sleek. You paired them well with the Lambo. :D Enjoy!

Mike

I built a scale model of that Countach (mine was white) when I was in my teens... so I suspect that's as close as I'll ever get to THAT particular garage image...!
Although in my last place, I believe I had EXACTLY the same set of carpet runners laid out in my hallways... ;)

Alas, garage questions are pointless for me -- I'm in a condo building with a large common garage, and the bike rack area set aside in it is woefully inadequate for anything resembling secure storage. (So my bike camps out in my living room, or if it is particularly messy, in my kitchen's breakfast nook with a tile floor.) Regarding winter -- I've continued riding my office commutes here, so far down to mornings at 30F. But, no winter precip has happened yet; that will certainly trigger a re-evaluation of biking for me.

@JayVee

Got my bike in and put it together, everything works ok so far as I can tell. Haven’t gotten on the road as I herniated a disk 2 days before it came in. :confused:

Problem- after I got everything together I was going to charge the battery and noticed a small 1/2” gap between the battery and the bar. I took the battery off and charged it and noticed the 3 prongs that connect the battery to the bike are bent half way up at a 45 degree angle. I still got the battery back on and it’s working as far as I can tell, but is that what it’s supposed to look like? Are they supposed to be straight? Also, do you know if I can just take some pliers and straighten them out? Id take pictures but I’m honestly afraid to take it off again as I can just charge it on the bike until I get a replacement if needed.

Ok. Thanks! Mine are definitely bent. All 3 bend at about a 30-45 degree angle. It was difficult to get the battery back on. I think I can just straighten them out with some pliers or needle nose vice grips, just worried that I’ll break something. Do you know by chance if that part is replaceable? I tried to search for it and can’t find anything. I bought the bike from Random Bike Parts and I’ll call them on Monday to see what their policy is, but the bike is fine other than that. Thanks a lot!

Can’t believe you found that! So appreciative! I looked for hours last night with no luck. At least this will allow me to try and fix without worrying that it’s going to break off. Thanks again!

This is great. It makes being on this forum all worth while. We all know how frustrating it can be when you cannot find parts etc. Good Luck with the cable connection fix.

This site is a great resource and for the most part there is no bickering which is refreshing. We can thank the members AND the moderators for that, they do a great job.

It’s definitely a team effort! Members being nice and working to be constructive is the most important thing. We don’t have to do much moderating, so kudos to members!! And, thanks for the kind words!!

Back