I’ve narrowed it down to three..

CMadsen87

Region
USA
Hello all.

This is my first post. I have been looking into buying an e-bike. I just got a dui (yeah, I’m an idiot), and I need an e-bike for daily use to work and potential food delivery on the weekend. I’m a bigger dude (6’4” / 300lbs) so I’ve been eyeing bench seat e-bikes. I’ve narrowed it down to three and would love some input from those with experience.

Eahora Romeo Pro
Ride1Up Revv1 FS
Ariel X-Class 52V step through

Hello all.

This is my first post. I have been looking into buying an e-bike. I just got a dui (yeah, I’m an idiot), and I need an e-bike for daily use to work and potential food delivery on the weekend. I’m a bigger dude (6’4” / 300lbs) so I’ve been eyeing bench seat e-bikes. I’ve narrowed it down to three and would love some input from those with experience.

Eahora Romeo Pro
Ride1Up Revv1 FS
Welcome to buying one of the bikes that will help with causing owners of all ebikes to register them with DMV-and pay insurance!

I like the ehora Romeo.
My birth name is Romeo.
But I suggest buy two in the event that one fails you can use the other for parts the bike is cheap.
For your DUI you needs lawyer up
What the lawyer does is keep postponing the trial when all arresting officers are not present in court your case will be dismissed
So you’re saying the Eahora is prone to breakdown?

Yeah cheap bikes that look cool are more likely to break within 1.5 k miles compared to 8k emtb with dealer and factory support it will last forever.
So buy 2 it should last you until you get your driving privileges.
What bike would you recommend, even if it’s not in the three I have mentioned?

Counterpoint: pedal bikes are more fun than these Chinese mopeds and could potentially be life changing from a fitness perspective. Check out the Vado.
I definitely could stand to lose some weight lol. The Vado is way outside my price range though. :(

Even at that size you don't need a special purpose bike. You can consider pretty much any ebike. Are you technically over the weight limit? Yes, but the bike's not going to fold under you. You would only have to be concerned if you're thinking of something like a carbon frame which is designed to flex for a specific range of rider weights.

I'm above average also at 6'3" around 310lbs. I'm probably around 325-330lbs in full winter gear and commuter backpack loaded down with work cloths, lunch, electronics, etc...

I just upgraded from my 2016 Radrover 750w rear hub to a Himiway Cobra Pro full suspension mid drive. The main reason for the upgrade was the Himiway ebikes are rated at 400lbs with upgraded spokes and brakes for that weight. Picking an underweight ebike might mean the spokes, brakes, and maybe the frame might be over the engineered maximum. I noticed this with my Radrover and the brakes glazed over pretty quick when I started work commuting at 55-70 miles a week. I had to upgrade to aftermarket brakes/pads to improve my stopping power for normal and emergency braking. Something like a rear hub front suspension Class II ebike with throttle would be my choice for an ebike choice for city errand/work duties. You can add a Suntour NCX 400mm or Cirrus Kinekt 420mm suspension seat post (Cirrus Kinekt makes a 320lbs suspension seat post).

Other factors are:
- my Radrover and Himiway ebikes look like pedal bikes with electronic components. A lot of "off the shelf" bike accessory and upgrades can work on my ebike to customize to my needs and comfort
- I needed to replace the 350mm seatpost with a +400mm because I was sitting too low and my left knee started to ache. No issue since with taller seatpost
- I added a suspension seatpost and a larger Cloud-9 12X11 cruiser seat for even more comfort
- I added an adjustable stem riser to adjust the handle bars up for a more upright riding position (after adding the 420mm seatpost)
- I added larger MTB pedals for better wet weather grip for my size 14 shoes.
- added a rear rack and rack bags with fold out panniers for storage on demand
- many ebikes have front basket type racks that attach below the handlebar stem for even more storage (drop items in basket for food delivery)
- the larger 26X4 tires are smoother and less prone to problems with curbs, potholes, or uneven surfaces compared to 20X4 tires (more tire replacement choices with 26X4)
- go for the largest battery pack available because you will be using more of it at +300lbs

Last edited:
One of my considerations of purchasing an ebike was “could I pedal it if the battery dies”. I got a ride1up 700. I also wanted it for commuting, so, the included rack and (metal) fenders were a must. I was praising myself when I ran over a freshly spilled puddle of paint. I swear, it looked dry, but it just happened.

Price was also a big factor. I’m riding on the street with traffic with many elevation changes for 4 miles one way. For reference, I’m 6’ 160lbs.

Having owned the ride1up 700 for a couple of years now, I’d recommend the company. I’ve never had any issues and no real reason to contact support. I did ask very specific questions about the motor, but they didn’t have the answer. I know they didn’t manufacture the motor, so I wasn’t surprised they didn’t have answers. Their online support documentation is very inclusive and plentiful, which (I believe) would negate the need to contact support.

I have 2 Ride 1 Up Gravelsters. They are light and easy to ride. One gear and a belt drive so no chain issues. If the battery dies, pretty easy to pedal for awhile...

Ariel Rider are generally pretty good. I like the Grizzly myself but I know the police will stop me suspecting it to be an illegal moped. Now, realize speed equals battery life reducing faster. I agree with Slaphappy about getting something you can pedal if the battery dies. You could do it on any ebike but the heavier and more ergonomically challenged ebikes are the harder they are to pedal, like shoveling wet snow. Never fun.

The Revv1 by Ride1Up is cool as well.

Eahora Romeo Pro
Ride1Up Revv1 FS
Starting in 2020, I've owned 5 ebikes. One DIY mid-drive kit, two mid-drives, and two hub drives, from 3 different online purveyors. My recommendation would be to purchase a bike from your local bike store. The benefits are well worth it.

Should you choose to purchase online, I recommend you purchase from a company that has been in business for a long time, and/or has an extensive dealer/service network published on thier web site, with the priority being the dealer network.

Eahora has had an online presence since 2020. No published dealer/service/parts network.
Ride1Up, since 2018. No published dealer/service/parts network.
Ariel since 2014. No public dealer/service/parts network.

Example: Aventon has been offering bikes since 2013. They began offering ebikes online in 2017. Today they advertise that they have over 1,000 service/parts dealers nationwide.

Many online ebike companies started just before or during the pandemic, and they experienced rapid sales growth during that time. They started as warehouse shippers with no service or parts operation. Most of them have not evolved beyond being a warhouse shipper. They do not manufacuture bikes, and they have no service network. Many of them appear to be under financial stress now.

As Dorothy Dee just posted yesterday:
"My LBS warned me before I ordered from Dost and I didn’t heed the warning, but I’ll pass on the words of wisdom to any of you. Find a trusted, long term brand and buy from as local a bike shop as you can. Buying the latest, greatest from couple years manufacturer just ain’t worth the anxiety ( unless you can easily walk away from your money and never look back)"

Last edited:
Starting in 2020, I've owned 5 ebikes. One DIY mid-drive kit, two mid-drives, and two hub drives, from 3 different online purveyors. My recommendation would be to purchase a bike from your local bike store. The benefits are well worth it.

Should you choose to purchase online, I recommend you purchase from a company that has been in business for a long time, and/or has an extensive dealer/service network published on thier web site, with the priority being the dealer network.

Eahora has had an online presence since 2020. No published dealer/service/parts network.
Ride1Up, since 2018. No published dealer/service/parts network.
Ariel since 2014. No public dealer/service/parts network.

Example: Aventon has been offering bikes since 2013. They began offering ebikes online in 2017. Today they advertise that they have over 1,000 service/parts dealers nationwide.

Many online ebike companies started just before or during the pandemic, and they experienced rapid sales growth during that time. They started as warehouse shippers with no service or parts operation. Most of them have not evolved beyond being a warhouse shipper. They do not manufacuture bikes, and they have no service network. Many of them appear to be under financial stress now.

As Dorothy Dee just posted yesterday:
"My LBS warned me before I ordered from Dost and I didn’t heed the warning, but I’ll pass on the words of wisdom to any of you. Find a trusted, long term brand and buy from as local a bike shop as you can. Buying the latest, greatest from couple years manufacturer just ain’t worth the anxiety ( unless you can easily walk away from your money and never look back)"
That's good advise Tom. I think you could list the safe direct to consumer bikes on 1 hand. If you won't or cant use your LBS ( and pay a premium price for your ebike) I would stick with the brands you see on this forum that have a strong and positive presence. I personally have purchased from Lectric, Espin, Aventon, Ride 1 UP and Frey and cant say a bad word about any of them. They have been responsive and I have been very satisfied with the bikes. If money is no object, order your R&M and call it a day...

Back