It's fire season again

it was 297 at night and usually it goes down in the day but not today.
Smoke is down to ground level now, looks like a dense fog. The sun hasn't been seen all day.

Our AQI is at 353 with ozone at 89. We normally have clear blue skies. This is extremely unusual for us. I'm not a happy camper...

Last edited:
Normal:

1EU9fjzGSy6O%vkr%g07Lg.jpg

Today, AQI right around 200:

IMG_9834.jpg

... I am mad as hell!

I've had to evacuate multiple times in recent years, and each time is progressively more traumatic. Right now I know people who are displaced and either have lost their homes or don't yet know if they still have a home. What is crazy is that those people are in Washington, Oregon, and California.

I understand the anger. Honestly the anger feels better than despair, at least a bit.

/offtopic I remember major fires in the Amazon recently, but those were apparently set to clear land for ranches, not lightning, campfires, or climate change. Equally stupid though. I wonder how Canada manages forests. offtopic/

/offtopic I remember major fires in the Amazon recently, but those were apparently set to clear land for ranches, not lightning, campfires, or climate change. Equally stupid though. I wonder how Canada manages forests. offtopic/

<offtopic>
About as poorly as the United States.

Alberta had an extremely catastrophic fire year last year, and BC periodically has massive fires, especially in the interior.

There are three things that have to happen to produce a wildfire catastrophe: a wind event, dry fuel conditions, and an ignition. Even very slightly higher temperatures, over time, can produce dramatic drying of fuels. Lower temperatures (well, technically, lower temperature differences) aren't as likely to produce lightning either. So given that Canada is further north than California they will, on the average, have fewer catastrophic wildfire events than California. An added bonus the Canadians have is that their population densities are generally lower so they have a smaller population of idiots out trying to cook hotdogs.

The very slightly higher temperatures, over time, that we are seeing are a clear climate change signal. And that has produced dramatically dryer fuels that produce these wildfire events that are, again, a clear climate change signal.
</offtopic>

I've been through a lot of forest fire smoke in my day, especially when I lived in Northern Alberta, but even then, I cannot imagine what you are all experiencing right now.

Be as safe as you can!

Back