Issues with the Turbo Creo SL (all variants)

Usually Specialized are pretty quick and efficient, My friend is a Specialized dealer and and reckons they are good at solving issues.

My experience in the past as well but I’m afraid since the fire at their hq things are a bit different!!
That sounds right - I'm waiting for Specialized to send a replacement TCU unit under warranty to my bike shop. Shop said that normally this should take 48 hours but this year with Covid it might take 2 weeks. They didn't mention the fire but even without that, the worldwide shortages made me fear there would be delays.
Spring is here, it's lovely and dry and I can't get out on my bike grrrr.

Quick update. My replacement TCU (took about 2 weeks) was installed by the LBS and the bike has been brilliant since.
I have also replaced the original 46t chainring with a Wolf Tooth 50t and it’s made a significant difference especially on the flat road sections and there’s still enough range on the stock cassette to conquer my local hills (both on and off-road).

My next task is to get an off-road wheel set put together with tubeless, grippier tyres. I’m now having some really fun times on this bike.

I have a turbo creo comp carbon and after 150 miles i have a creaking coming from where normally a bottom bracket would be. Does anyone else have experienced this?

Thanks for haring the video. The creaking is coming from the bottom bracket and on no-ebikes you either tighten it, re-instal or replace. Give that the bottom bracket is build into the motor you can't do any of those things other than replacing the motor, which the bike shop is exploring. I was just wondering if others have run into this. Thanks

Thanks for haring the video. The creaking is coming from the bottom bracket and on no-ebikes you either tighten it, re-instal or replace. Give that the bottom bracket is build into the motor you can't do any of those things other than replacing the motor, which the bike shop is exploring. I was just wondering if others have run into this. Thanks
I also have a minor squeak. At first I thought it was from the bottom bracket. It seems as if it is non-drive train related and mainly occurs when the bike is warm. It is never evident at the beginning of a ride and was absent in the last 2 rides I did in cooler weather. I think it may be related to a rubber seal inside the frame as I can reproduce it by pressing forcefully into the bike against a stationary pedal while it is propped against a wall.

I also have a minor squeak. At first I thought it was from the bottom bracket. It seems as if it is non-drive train related and mainly occurs when the bike is warm. It is never evident at the beginning of a ride and was absent in the last 2 rides I did in cooler weather. I think it may be related to a rubber seal inside the frame as I can reproduce it by pressing forcefully into the bike against a stationary pedal while it is propped against a wall.
Mine is doing it cold or warm. Just heard back from the shop and they will replace the motor.

I managed to fix the squeaking noise with my Evo. The issue is caused by a thin gap between the "ring" inside the rubber boot and the tall headset cap. Eliminating this gap fixed the issue.
2021 Comp Carbon and I think I have the same problem which is getting more annoying. There is a squeaking coming from the frame. It is usually evident when pedaling but I can also occasionally reproduce it when coasting by quickly jerking the bars right or left. It also seems to be somewhat temperature or ride length dependent. Can you elaborate on your fix?

2021 Comp Carbon and I think I have the same problem which is getting more annoying. There is a squeaking coming from the frame. It is usually evident when pedaling but I can also occasionally reproduce it when coasting by quickly jerking the bars right or left. It also seems to be somewhat temperature or ride length dependent. Can you elaborate on your fix?
Yes, please @arnoldc , please give us some more detail so we can see if this applies to us also. Thanks

Had a strange experience yesterday on a ride. 21 Creo Comp Carbon Evo. Did 20 miles, not that bad. I use full boost on the roads to and from the trail, then on the trail use either zero or the lowest boost (rarely). I was on my way home, on the road, full boost, and the bike just turned offf. Not like loss of boost, it was completely OFF. I turned it back on, it defaulted to mid-boost setting, seemed ok, bumped it back up to full boost, it turned off again. I was only about a mile form home and navigating traffic, so I didn’t get much chance to experiment and play with it. Never had anything like this before.

Anyone had similar? I’ll try to replicate it today, see if it continues immediately, or if perhaps it would only happen at the end of a ride.

Had a strange experience yesterday on a ride. 21 Creo Comp Carbon Evo. Did 20 miles, not that bad. I use full boost on the roads to and from the trail, then on the trail use either zero or the lowest boost (rarely). I was on my way home, on the road, full boost, and the bike just turned offf. Not like loss of boost, it was completely OFF. I turned it back on, it defaulted to mid-boost setting, seemed ok, bumped it back up to full boost, it turned off again. I was only about a mile form home and navigating traffic, so I didn’t get much chance to experiment and play with it. Never had anything like this before.

Anyone had similar? I’ll try to replicate it today, see if it continues immediately, or if perhaps it would only happen at the end of a ride.
The most obvious question is what was the charge level of the battery? If it was low, it might cut out rather than straining the battery or system. If the battery was relatively okay charge-wise, then you might have an issue. Clearly, more testing will be necessary. When was the last time you rode and did you have any issues? Does Mission Control's Diagnose or Tune show battery health level?

The most obvious question is what was the charge level of the battery? If it was low, it might cut out rather than straining the battery or system. If the battery was relatively okay charge-wise, then you might have an issue. Clearly, more testing will be necessary. When was the last time you rode and did you have any issues? Does Mission Control's Diagnose or Tune show battery health level?\
Main battery at 87%, extender plugged in at 91%, so plenty of power. Both batteries show at 100% health in Mission Control. I submitted logs for "Advanced Diagnostics" in Mission Control. Thinking about something like a loose connector, combined with a little voltage sag when at max boost, just enough for the computer to lose power and turn off?

It does need firmware updates, worth trying that as well of course. But hoping someone had some similar experience.

Main battery at 87%, extender plugged in at 91%, so plenty of power. Both batteries show at 100% health in Mission Control. I submitted logs for "Advanced Diagnostics" in Mission Control. Thinking about something like a loose connector, combined with a little voltage sag when at max boost, just enough for the computer to lose power and turn off?

It does need firmware updates, worth trying that as well of course. But hoping someone had some similar experience.
One other thing and I have no idea of its impact on the rest of the system. There is this thin, tiny, dime size coin cell in the TCU (or whatever the controller on the toptube is called). I don't know its useful life nor really what depends on it in the regular running of the Creo. The manual mentions the battery and location but nothing else useful about its purpose.

Good luck

Update on my issue: went for a short ride and unable to replicate the issue. If it's only going to happen after long or hard efforts, it might be difficult to get fixed. I was hoping it would happen right away today.

Note that yesterday wasn't my longest or hardest effort on this bike, not by a long shot, and it hadn't happened before.

Update on my issue: went for a short ride and unable to replicate the issue. If it's only going to happen after long or hard efforts, it might be difficult to get fixed. I was hoping it would happen right away today.

Note that yesterday wasn't my longest or hardest effort on this bike, not by a long shot, and it hadn't happened before.
Excessive motor or battery temperature perhaps?

Excessive motor or battery temperature perhaps?
I would guess so? Except I've done much harder and longer efforts. I've done a full hour on max boost on my commute, I've climbed mountains. This was a lot of stop and start, but it wasn't that far with boost on at all, just a couple of miles.

And it seems like if that was the issue, then it should go into a limp mode, or give me a flashing light, or make a beep, or just turn off assist with the computer still on? With this, the computer just turned completely off. No beep, it didn't do the little thing where the lights all go off in order when you turn it off with the button, none of that. The computer was just suddenly off. I guess it's the shop for me.

And it seems like if that was the issue, then it should go into a limp mode, or give me a flashing light, or make a beep, or just turn off assist with the computer still on? With this, the computer just turned completely off. No beep, it didn't do the little thing where the lights all go off in order when you turn it off with the button, none of that. The computer was just suddenly off. I guess it's the shop for me.
Perhaps the wiring harness getting loose at times? Thermal expansion? (I have never ridden in full Turbo continuously for more than thirty minutes on either of my Spec e-bikes).

Honestly, no idea. Have you looked into Mission Control "Diagnostics"?

The motor on my 2020 Creo is still working despite this loud whine.

Official word from the LBS and Specialized dealer is that the motor is toast and will be replaced under warranty asap. I have been advised that I can continue to ride it but who knows for how much longer.

Back