Is this BAFANG a 750 watt hub motor?

bamafred

Just purchased and received this Fat Bike off of Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4TZF62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It rides really well and has plenty of power to get up very steep grades. The Shimano gears are smooth and required very little adjustment. I put 20 miles on it today. Yesterday I wanted to stress the power system so I did a steep hill circuit around my neighborhood to see if anything overheated. After a couple of hilly miles all was well. The BAFANG geared hub was warm to the touch, but not hot enough to have to remove your hand.

The bike is advertised as a 750 watt bike. As we know the bike can only deliver what its lowest rated component is capable of. i.e. A 750 watt hub will not deliver 750 watts if the bike uses a 500 watt ESC.

I'm trying to get the specs from the engineers in China for the Lithium ion battery pack, ESC and hub motor. The first thing I checked when I got it out of the box was the etched voltage and power rating of the hub. The hub is stamped for 48 volts, but it has no wattage rating. Here is a picture of the hub. Does anyone know what this hub might be rated at? TIA

RMG06 48V (10).jpg

No way to tell unless you open it up, bafang make more than one 750watt motor,you may have the full fat 750 which I doubt or you may have the smaller 750 which is basically an over volted 500w

From what little bit I know about Bafang, the important data to know in that data pictured is that the motor is a Bafang RMG06. You should be able to search on that to find about anything you want to know about it. If I'm wrong, maybe Thomas can step in and expand on that. -Al

Did you check the temperature of the controller? They can be hotter than the motor and certainly be a limit to current to the motor.

Did you check the temperature of the controller? They can be hotter than the motor and certainly be a limit to current to the motor.

That would be difficult to do w/o taking the integrated controller/battery apart. I've ridden about 5 miles continuously up steep hills (I'd guess 1/8th mile 40 deg slope) at lot steeper than I could get up using the lowest gear and the battery felt slightly warm as was the hub. i.e. If something were going to pop that would have been the time.

Um, the model number reveals all. No need to crack anything open.

Interesting, they show a Kunteng (KT) 25A controller as a replacement part. But used a base case controller?

Where do you see that they used a 25A controller? A 25A controller at 48v would deliver 1200 watts. Sounds like more than the lithium ion pack will deliver. To deliver 1000 watts the lithium battery pack would have to be a 13S4P with 5 amp 18650 cells for continuous use at 1000 watts. I'm not sure if a 13S3P would be capable of short term delivery of 1000 watts.

I mistyped, but they wouldn't be the first, the last, or be lonely putting out fudged specifications. A KT controller is listed on their web pages. KT-ZWS-12 Kunteng ZWS is usually 12-20A capable. The specs are confusing, but you're telling us it has a "Hailong base controller"?

Where do you see that they used a 25A controller? A 25A controller at 48v would deliver 1200 watts. Sounds like more than the lithium ion pack will deliver. To deliver 1000 watts the lithium battery pack would have to be a 13S4P with 5 amp 18650 cells for continuous use at 1000 watts. I'm not sure if a 13S3P would be capable of short term delivery of 1000 watts.

Many 18650 cells are rated to deliver 10A, even the cheap Samsung 22P's in my scooter packs, and I've checked that. So your 3P pack could output 30A, with decent cells, which is 1500 W on 48V.

I have Samsung 30Q's in some of my Luna packs, in particular a 14s-2P mini, The 30Q is rated for 15A, and the mini does 30A.

As for the G06, Bafang makes that motor with ratings from 250W to 750W. THey used to have a web page for it years ago, but I haven't seen it lately. Maybe the RM is a model designation. I have a G06, probably the 500W model. I think it's fast enough on 52V.

Luna used to sell the 500W G06 as a Sondors upgrade, and they said all you had to do was swap the innards. SO the outside case was the same.

Back