Are newer hub motors as capable as mid drives?

Stoney Romey in da house crash landing on ya'll party.
A good comparison between hub motor and mid drive is similar when comparing my E tooth brush. I have two sets of E tooth brush. One of um has spinning bristles, I call this one hub drive. My other one which is more expensive, oscillates and I have to use my hands to simulate the spinning motion 🙃 that is my definition mid of drive.
Jeebus I should put this in urban dictionary.
Sometimes when you're stoned... You convince yourself that you're a pretty fart smella (smart fella)

I have been under the impression that hub drives don't work well for heavy loads on steep hills, especially at lower speeds such as scenarios where the terrain limits your speed due to tight or technical riding. My understanding was the motors work best at certain (high) RPMs, and the hub motors in particular can't keep that up as your speed drops because they don't have access to the gearing on the bike.

However, I am now seeing some hub drives are mentioned to be geared, and even with pretty impressive torque ratings (95 nm on the Ride1Up LMT'D for example). I was told by a LBS selling Aventon Aventures the hub motors work fine for big hills for the big heavy (73 lbs) bike with a 400 lb payload capacity. I was skeptical but one of the forum users on the Aventon section confirmed riding up 10% grade hill at 12 mph using throttle only without issue, though for only ~0.5 miles.

My intended use would on occasion see me riding off-road hills averaging 11% grade for 2.5-4 miles, with rider + gear at ~275 lbs, occasionally towing a trailer for an additional ~50-75 lbs. I have tried this with one of the specialized brose 90 nm bikes and it handled it like a champ in the lowest gear without any overheating (excep the brakes on the way down, hah). Is it realistic to think a hub motor could also perform something like this? If so, that opens a much larger budget friendly range of options.
I have both a mid drive and a rear hub motor and both require you putting some effort in when climbing a steep hill. Mid drive is 48v 750w and the rear hub is 36v 250w. My Mid drive is a Tongshend TSDZ2 which I fitted to my Claud Butler hybrid which brought the total weight upto 23killo. The battery is 17.5 Ah. The motor is fitted with an integral torque sensor.
The rear hub motor is 36v 250wv with a 16Ah Panasonic cells. Although comparing the two somewhat unequal setups the rear hub does surprisingly well and with its added throttle makes it in the main easier to drive. Both have good battery's which dip sharply on big climbs but soon bounced back and enable me to cover a good distance before I have to recharge them.

I have both a mid drive and a rear hub motor and both require you putting some effort in when climbing a steep hill. Mid drive is 48v 750w and the rear hub is 36v 250w. My Mid drive is a Tongshend TSDZ2 which I fitted to my Claud Butler hybrid which brought the total weight upto 23killo. The battery is 17.5 Ah. The motor is fitted with an integral torque sensor.
The rear hub motor is 36v 250wv with a 16Ah Panasonic cells. Although comparing the two somewhat unequal setups the rear hub does surprisingly well and with its added throttle makes it in the main easier to drive. Both have good battery's which dip sharply on big climbs but soon bounced back and enable me to cover a good distance before I have to recharge them.
pfft, pics of the Hybrid or it didnt happen!☺️

I grow tired of the 'e-cycle' look as well, as well as being taunted less everything increases reliability Pedaluma's builds look fantastic to my jaundiced eye.

Back